Note to New Members ×

What's your heritage?

photodad2001

What's your heritage? What was your first sliding experience?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. What's your heritage? What was your first sliding experience?

• I was a skater before anything else.
    • I was a surfer before anything else.
    • I was a skier before anything else.
    • I was a snowboarder (soft booter) before anything else.
    • My baby shoes had forward lean and 3 buckles.

I wanted to see what everyone's background on here was. I guess I'd have to say that I was originally a skateboarder. I've surfed, and started snowboarding as a "jibber" or "freestyler", then evolved into a carver. I've skied a handful of times and find minimal enjoyment from it. Wanted to know if others had similar backgrounds or if everyone else was different.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st and only ski lesson under the lights at Mt Spokane in '73

3rd time skiing got a spiral fracture at 49 degrees north in '75

1st season pass at Schwietzer in '84, 60+ days, skied my 1st black diamonds

1st snow board was a lightly used '81 experimental performer bought in'85 but skied & tele'd till I bought my 1st "modern" snowboard an '89 K2 TX and started using hard boots a year later.

I still ski occasionally

I started skiing in 1979 when I was 8 years old at Killington, VT where in rained on Christmas day! My bother, who is 2 years older than me also learned then. I spent my whole childhood keeping up with him. Guess why I learned to snowboard? But, I did show my brother up in that area!!!!!! :)

Skiing since I was 10, pursued it obsessively and passionately, and became bored with it by the time I was in my 30's and never thought I would go on the mountain again...that is until I tried snowboarding and was reborn.

And just for the record, I used to do longtrack, short track, and inline speedskating, and dropping into the corners at the start of the crossover feels alot like the initiation of the carve, especially the 500m and short track.

Skateboarding as a kid back in the 1970s. Urethane wheels were the latest thing. Didn't learn to ski until late 20's. Didn't learn to board until late 30's. Surfing snow on softies and freestyle boards got me hooked bad then. Hardboot carving is something to do between dumps.

skiing first. On first day of skiing I saw snowboarding and decided it was what I wanted to do. Started snowboarding (plates, ski boots w Burton Air) for last 2 months of season.

Later that year I started skateboarding.

Windsurfing was tried briefly during that year also; and later became somewhat of an obsession.

started skiing at seven. the patience to learn how to slide the wrong direction probably wouldn't have happened till my 20's. I started snowboarding soft and hard at 25, after my skiing got to the point I felt good about it. Always wanted to ride alpine.

I guess my other background is Slalom Waterskiing

now 27

Half Ukranian, a quarter Russian, an eighth English and an eighth Greek.

Try this:

1/2 Croatian, 1/8 Serb, 1/8 Hungarian, 1/8 Itallian, 1/8 Czech (of probable Jewish descent), raised as Yugoslavian, and wait for the best, South African citizen prior to becoming Canadian.

Skier since 1961, eventually PSIA intructor, sometime racer. I still ski about half the time, especially if there's serious pitch involved. Much better skier than rider, in terms of versatility - I'll come down pretty much anything on skis while on a board I have to be more conservative.

Windsurfing since 1981 or so.

First tried a board after hours in a foot of fresh at Bromley around 1980 - a couple of brothers were offering good skiers a ride on something they'd cooked up - kinda like a Snurfer but wth no rope from the nose - wish I'd invested...

First snowboard was a Burton Backhill (all wood, no P-Tex or metal edges), quickly replaced in 1987 by a Cruzer (beveled swallowtail, single center fin which I removed) - still have that board for surfinging around in the backyard - no bindings on it.

First hardboot board a Hot Logical, around 1990 I think.

I was going to say the "baby shoes with buckles", but then I remembered that at those days the kids' ski boots were still leather and laces:

Now that is old school. The first time I went skiing with my dad he had a circa late 1960's K2 spider sabich model (the tri color ones) with cubco bindings.

My first pair of skis were Rossi Jr. SmashJ's. Favorite has to be split between the K2 Comp 710 (195 cm) and K2 Comp 810's (205 cm) circa 1982. Look Bindings and Lange XLR Banshees (cold toes, but awesome performance).

First Black diamond...Lucifer's leap at Butternut in Massachusetts.

aaaah the good old days.....Anyone remember the knee high ski boot craze?