Note to New Members ×

need cheap equipment for my girl

D-Sub

girlfriend wants to try an alpine setup. Id like to put her on an alpine specific board instead of an AM type...but something soft and forgiving.

need boots and bindings too

she is 5'4 I believe...weighs about 125 to 130...foot size is an M24? Gotta measure that again

someone had some SnowPro stepins here. thinkin those would be good for her...

I actually have an old pair of UPS boots in her size but they dont take the heels. maybe she can just use bail bindings.

anyway...anyone have gear or suggestions?

When trying to get my wife started, I put her on a Nidecker Rave w/ a 7 meter sidecut. She wanted something less turny so she could carry some speed and not have to turn as often.

I just don't see a lot of boards out there that are flexy enough for a lighter rider without having slalom or sub-slalom sidecuts, and being really short to boot.

I would up going all-out and ordering her a Coiler women's FC last year - I *really* wanted her to like hardbooting - and then the broke her calvicle and wound up sitting out the seaon :( She is really looking forward to riding it... I hope it works out.

lets not talk about breaking ****, ok? my girlfriend has had a broken pelvis, broken collarbone, and...something else...cant remember.

really need to get her some lessons so she can be a little more in control and a little less defensive

actually wondering if hard boots and a suitable board would help or hinder...

I have a closet full of shorter boards all in excellent shape from when my wife was first learning to carve.

Sims Freecarve 148

Oxygen APX 148

An older Ride 154 ( I think!)

plus another one or two that I've forgotten about.

My wife started on a soft set-up but wanted better control after one day in a soft set-up so hard boots were the answer. As for your situation, I have one word of advise - patience!!!!.

If you have an inttrest in any board, let me know. Or, if you have some questions about getting your partner up to speed, feel free to email me

CJ

Originally posted by D-Sub

lets not talk about breaking ****, ok? my girlfriend has had a broken pelvis, broken collarbone, and...something else...cant remember.

really need to get her some lessons so she can be a little more in control and a little less defensive

For protection and confidence, you could also get somefull body pads they are useful for skateboarding, BMX riding, hockey, other impact prone sports... so your gf might be able to use them for other things (I'm assuming she didn't get hurt in a car crash or something non-sports related).

Personally... I would go with softboots over hardboots for a complete beginner. Taht may reflect my softboot leanings (as other people's suggestions may reflect their hardboot leanings), but poorly fitted hardboots are painful... more so than softboots, and when you are beginning... all you are doing is skidding anyways - something which alpine boards don't "like" to do. So I would stick her on softboots and a medium flex freeride boards for like 5-6 days until she can link her turns... then put her on hardboots. Just my opinion (the abridged version).

I agree with lonerider -

You just gotta protect that booty

It is tough to get our chicks into anything we find cool sometimes.

My wife has barely rode her alpine board I bought her in 95'

But she is excited about trying her 4807 soon. She has the nerve to call us a bunch of geeks. lol

sorry I got off topic - I can't help you D.

oh...I guess I should have stated that she isnt exactly a beginner

She's been softbooting since...what...95!

but...she's not very aggressive, and used to get angry at me when I would try to show her the right way to ride:)

she loves just cruising, and I highly doubt she'll ever want to jump...maybe tho.

she has a decent softboot setup with an old O-Sin 145 and some Burton motos with PrestonLX bindings

I'd just like to see if the precision of a plate setup might help her feel more confident in turns.

and...the injuries I listed were from snowboarding unfortunately. One happened in Crested Butte on early season hardpack, and the other happened in some crappy choppy stuff at bear mountain.

she used to...uh...heh....tend to let the downhill edge hit the snow. Hard to watch, to say the least.

anyway...thanks all for the emails and offers! Keep em comin!

Dave

Dave,

I've never measured a board but here is what I got:

Tip & Tail - 24cm

Waist - 19cm

Don't know the sidecut. The year is probably around 1997 or so. Topsheet is pearl/white, base is white. Plenty of camber left. The board is too short for me and has been on the snow maybe 5 times in the last five years. I can try and find a digital camera if you are interested in seeing pics.

Kenton

Thanks Kenton

would love to see pics!

also..if you could flex it and see how it feels? I dont want to put her on anything too stiff ya know?

thanks again

you can email me at Influx1 at adelphia dot net, through Bomber, or just post pics here (if I dont buy it someone else might:))

Dave,

Will be hunting tomorrow and Monday. I will try to post pics by Monday night. I did the flex test and it doesn't seem too stiff. In comparison, it feels similar to the freeride/all mtn board that I teach on. Hope this helps.

Kenton

oh...I guess I should have stated that she isnt exactly a beginner

She's been softbooting since...what...95!

but...she's not very aggressive, and used to get angry at me when I would try to show her the right way to ride:)

she loves just cruising, and I highly doubt she'll ever want to jump...maybe tho.

Yea... I don't think she's going to want to use plate bindings. She has seen you riding and if she ever wanted to try them out... she would have already done so in the past 10 years (same thing about doing jumps). To me, it sounds like you know she doesn't want to change, but because you want her to change, you are going to try and secretly coax her into it... to me that's sounds just like a really bad idea.

It another thing if she was explicitly interested in trying hardboots and plate bindings out, but through circumstance (lack of money/time) has been unable to fulfill this desire on her own... but that's doesn't sound like the case... If I'm wrong, then ignore my comments.

yeah, you misinterpreted things. She has asked me quite a few times, but...I never really looked into it.

also...I havent been with her that whole time. She lived in Santa Cruz for five years. Rode with her once in that time period and it was powder the whole time. I didnt even bring a carver

she says she'd like to try it. Im not forcin anyone, thats for sure:)

thanks for your concern on her behalf tho. Definitely would be a bad idea to try to force the issue!

A word of advice...don't critisize her technique...give/pay for a lesson for her, let her follow you but never, ever tell her she's doing something wrong...just some advice from someone who's been doing extreme outdoor sports with his wife for many years

yeah...it was never said like that tho...not "youre doing this wrong"

more like "hey, I noticed youre having a hard time transitioning from your heel turns to your toe torns. Ive found that if I guide myself with my lead shoulder...."

I'm not critical in a negative sense. In all the things that Im fair to middlin at, Ive found that people are usually receptive to the way I go about passing the knowledge ive gained.

but...youre right, though...a few lessons from a third party are what Ive always had in mind:)

yeah...it was never said like that tho...not "youre doing this wrong"

more like "hey, I noticed youre having a hard time transitioning from your heel turns to your toe torns. Ive found that if I guide myself with my lead shoulder...."

I'm not critical in a negative sense. In all the things that Im fair to middlin at, Ive found that people are usually receptive to the way I go about passing the knowledge ive gained.

What you say: "hey, I noticed youre having a hard time transitioning from your heel turns to your toe torns. Ive found that if I guide myself with my lead shoulder...."

What she hears: "you're doing this wrong. " :D

Sorry about the misunderstanding here are some stuff I found:

Boots

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36294&item=7108863699&rd=1

Bindings

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21248&item=7109657976&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21248&item=7109853130&rd=1

Boards

http://www.tahoecarvers.com/riders/forum/read_TC.php?f=2&i=485&t=485

http://www.tahoecarvers.com/riders/forum/read_TC.php?f=2&i=593&t=593

http://www.tahoecarvers.com/riders/forum/read_TC.php?f=2&i=521&t=521

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21250&item=7110098345&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36297&item=7110076859&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21250&item=7109644336&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21250&item=7109646791&rd=1

Good luck!

I have one of those Nidecker Next Steps that were on eBay last year. (I think it's a 161 or thereabouts; kind of a soft, entry-level freecarving board.) I paid $50+ shipping and rode it about 2x - way too soft for me. I guess I'd want $35 for it. The top is near mint (has binding marks), the base has one biggish scratch that doesn't go through to the core.

If you're in the LA area, I have a friend that's driving down there next week and might be willing to do a delivery run/meet up with you.

Interested?

Just a thought. I teach quite few conversions every year to hard boots from soft. (Working for Sun Valley Ski School on Baldy - Carve central for the Northwest). Usually what I do is have the first timer in hard boots mounted on to a board that they like and have ridden and keep the stance angles moderate. Around 40 to 50 (max) degrees. I prefer 45.

This gives them confidence in the board and that there are not too many things changing at once. Once they get used to hard boots and learn to build the angles that create more edge angle on the board then I start moving them to stiffer, more carve oriented boards.

Just something that works for me and my clients seem to like it too.

Best,

jerry