Note to New Members ×

Time to finally put an alpine setup together!

mtm

So it's looking like I should have enough disposable income to finally get an alpine setup together :1luvu:. I'd love to buy a full setup for $1000(CAN...) and then upgrade a bit in the fall, so I was thinking of buying cheaper boots for now:

I've been looking at getting a 4WD (through Prior) and Ibex bindings (through YYZ canuck) through prodeals but that already puts me at $800 CAN with tax and all that... doesn't leave too much room for boots!

Do you guys have any innovative ideas that could get me on the hill for $1000 this season but would allow me to upgrade some components when I have some more money in the fall?

Much help appreciated!

EDIT: Should probably mention I'm a lanky ~150 lbs., 6 feet, and will measure my mondo foot size when I get home from work.

My only input is: Spend your money on the boots first. The boots are the most important thing when you start out. Then bindings, then board.

Not that you have to spend a bundle on good boots: very good deals can be had in the classifieds, so you don't have to spend a bundle to do it. I'd definitely recommend that a new hardbooter sink some money into getting their boots set up properly (custom footbeds, decent liner, BTS) over sinking money into a hot deck (if a choice has to be made). Uncomfortable boots can be exceptionally painful, and a bad fit can make even a great board unrideable, so start with the boots and move on from there.

+1 on above..

boots, 1st bindings 2nd, then a used board. Or, get your boots and bindings and head to one of the expression sessions to demo boards. I'd hold off on getting a new board until you've demo'd a bunch of them. Even then, I'd find one used. You can always turn it over for a diff. one.

Boots first, making sure they're SMALL enough. Then blow some serious bux on custom insoles. Then a board from the classifieds. Then maybe F2 step-ins. That's a pretty good binding and can be resold if you want to move up in solidity to Bombers or Cateks for instance.

Without well-fitting boots it's all worthless, though, 'cause you won't get enough runs in.

I would say the opposite: Don't blow big monney on the boots without being able to try first. Various models fit deifferently to different people/foot shapes. Immagine if you dropped 500+ on brand new boots, online, molded them, rode for a week, and then decided you hated the fit or flex? You'll be at least 100, probably 200 down on the resale price. Same scenario with the used boots and you would probably be down only the cost of shipping.

Now, if you do have the chance to try all 3 major brands and decided from there what worked the best, then by all means - spend the money on the ones that you liked.

If you ordered bindings from Prior too, you'll get the additional 50$ off.

My only input is: Spend your money on the boots first. The boots are the most important thing when you start out. Then bindings, then board.

Spot-on advice. Your boots, overwhelmingly, will dictate your comfort and board control as you learn hardbooting. If you can, go to a location where a good boot fitter can work with you on selecting and/or modifying an appropriate pair. Since this is a niche sport with few bricks-and-mortar shops, that's a tall order, but it's worth every penny.

Realize that if you buy "unseen", you stand a good chance of buying too large - a disaster in this sport. As posted elsewhere recently, if you err on the slightly small side, a good tech can probably punch and mold you to a near-perfect fit for each foot. (Re)moldable liners can be a Godsend.

Good luck, and enjoy!

BB

So I measured my foot using the bomber guide and it looks like I'm mondo 25 (despite wearing size 10-10.5US in everything? I know I'm supposed to ignore conversions but I got curious...)

So I guess Ernie's boots would be too big? bummer.

MTM-I got my first setup last spring and bought new boots, new bindings and a used Prior 4WD along with a used Donek FC1. I agree with others that the boots are the most important with the board being last. I used a quality bootfitter and my boots are super comfortable. :biggthump

One trick that you might want to try is find a pair of used boots in the correct size but buy some new high quality liners and have them fitted to your feet along with quality footbeds. This will save you some $$ but give you a great fit.

Most carvers will buy and sell lots of boards as they experiment to find what works best for their style, hill, or mood that day. It is hard to know what you are going to like when you start so avoid a new boars unless the price is killer. That said I love the 4WD and many people on this forum have that board and learned how to carve on it.

My plan is to keep using the same pair of boots for a while.

If you are in Toronto why not DEMO a setup at Brimacombe http://www.brimacombe.ca/ (the new name of the Oshawa Ski Club). The Pro Shop has DeLuxe 225's in full mondo sizes from 24 to 30, Donek Pilots from 147?(I think) to 173 with F2 bindings, all supplied by Dave and Andrea from YYZCANUCK.

I check in at the shop at 10:00am and 2:00pm every day I am there, that is most Wed, Fri, and weekends.

Enable your contact info and contact either Arcrider or me to get set up.

I am away this week to the World Cup in Quebec City but will be back next week. Arcrider coaches mornings on the weekend but may be available weekend afternoons and weekdays, if it isn't windy.

Two options for boots:

- buy used knowing full well that there's at least a 50% chance you won't like them. Then you have to unload them. Not hard but still a hassle.

- buy new from YYZCanuck. He will give you great fitting advice and you will end up with a boot that will last you for years with no regrets.

I sent you an email. I have a spare pair of 27.5 Raichle boots that fit me perfectly and I am a 10-10.5 street shoe. You are welcome to try them out and borrow them for a weekend.

Got to love this forum: really feels like a community :biggthump.

YYZcanuck has Donek Pilot deal that includes Ibex bindings and Deeluxe boots for $1000CAN: that seems like a really solid deal. I think I'm going to go with that as a starter setup once I've saved up the money.