Note to New Members ×

Todd Richards Insults us...

DiveBomber

His comments don't sound any worse than the comments people regularly post on here about freestylers/freeriders who don't love carving as much as the community here.

The thing that makes having a discussion about snowboarding not turn into an argument is that there are so many ways to do it and everyone thinks their style/technique is the best...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I hate to say this...but TR is right"

Gee, silly me for thinking that he was simply expressing his opinion!

While he is welcome to his opinion, one would think that someone in his position would be inclined to demonstrate a bit of support (even feigned support) for fellow snowboarders from other disciplines. Instead, he takes the opportunity to pander to the jib-set (using jargon that is clearly unfortunate for a man of his age) and those for whom snowboarding is a "cultural phenomenon" and not a sport.

When marching into the Olympics, do the half-pipe crew keep their distance from the BX'ers and alpine team members? Do they tell them that what they do "sucks" and that they should march with the skiers?

His comments don't sound any worse than the comments people regularly post on here about freestylers/freeriders who don't love carving as much as the community here.

100% agree. Both groups stereotype with the worst examples of the other.

While he is welcome to his opinion, one would think that someone in his position would be inclined to demonstrate a bit of support (even feigned support) for fellow snowboarders from other disciplines. Instead, he takes the opportunity to pander to the jib-set (using jargon that is clearly unfortunate for a man of his age) and those for whom snowboarding is a "cultural phenomenon" and not a sport.

When marching into the Olympics, do the half-pipe crew keep their distance from the BX'ers and alpine team members? Do they tell them that what they do "sucks" and that they should march with the skiers?

Nailed it!

As the public spoke-person for Snowboarding at the Olympics, he is not entitled to trash any other sport or sportsmen, never mind the disciplines of he's own sport! He pretty much dismissed 2/3 of the current Olympic snowboarding as uncool... :( Lame.

Kent = traitor ;)

Finaly, my personal opinion:

Any discipline where winner is not determined by measurable fixed parameter (speed, distance, weight, time, etc.), or by beating or outscorring opponents, has no place in the Olympics. Anything measured by judges impression boils down to personal prefference and current fashion. Otherwise, we could have Carvemaster's Challenge as an Olympic sport :D

Freestyle based boarders and racing based boarders have always been "different". I know it's closer now, but back in the day (Todd is from back then), we were VERY different.

The fact that all he said is that it is "uncool" is rather mild. He is usually little less politically correct than that.

And I agree with Kent.;) (and Bob)

He didn't say uncool, he said sucks, as in .."anything racing sucks.."which frankly, is quite an uncool position for someone about to earn a few dollars announcing at the Olympics to take.

Jumping around in baggy pants with bull**it music blasting in ones ears is hardly the way to enjoy the pristine beauty of the mountain environment, but many seem to enjoy it.

Just more proof that the masses are asses.

S.Orecchio ....Well said, I'm 54 years of age and have been carving for the past 10 years, it was a very easy learning curve, back then when I started you would never find me any where near a half pipe or slope style, I did try BX but only once. Even us older guys can carve. :biggthump

(carving) is a blast.... but as fun at it is, it is very one-dimensional

Very true. On a snowboard I consider myself to be a 'one trick pony'. I envy the athleticism and versatility of a lot of the park rats. But I'll just stick to carving, thank you very much. I don't want to deal with the after-effects of big air gone wrong or a rail to the neck.

Edit to get back on topic.... really poor form on Todd's part to so blatently disrespect the disciplines of others. The sports like racing that he so easliy dismisses entail a huge personal commitment and training. I don't see the 'slope artists' cross-training or in the gyms and weight rooms, working on flexibility, durability, cardio, proprioception, etc. They seem to get by on simple innate ability, and when that isn't enough... they are thru. Somebody tell me if I'm wrong.

The mass of kids that enjoy riding terrain parks and halfpipes are asses because they enjoy themselves? Todd Richard was/is an amazing rider that can certainly hold his own "carving". I find it hilarious that soo many people consider carving to be this bizarre elitist "art form" when in essence it is fairly quite simple to do. Most extreme eurocarvers (or whatever you call yourselves in this decade) talk **** about park riders because they can't do it. It takes alot more skill to navigate (with style) a pro slopestyle course or 22ft superpipe than it does to carve down an icy slope attempting to drag your body. You don't have to enjoy freestylin' but claiming that these kids are not talented is pure ignorance.

Don't get me wrong... carving, especially steep and icy slopes, is a blast.... but as fun at it is, it is very one-dimensional.

I will admit that Richards comments were unnecessary... as good as a rider that he is, he has always suffered from 'cool guy' syndrome. Back in the day he would always trash talk the X-games, but sure enough he attended them every year.

Well said. I love to carve, it is not neccessary that everyone either understand it nor do it for me to have the time of my life. That said: I also like to see others enjoy what they love. Just respect each other and their space please. Ride on.

"I will admit that Richards comments were unnecessary... as good as a rider that he is, he has always suffered from 'cool guy' syndrome. Back in the day he would always trash talk the X-games, but sure enough he attended them every year."

Then we are in complete agreement. I know nothing of his riding prowess and have not once commented upon it in any fashion. I simply said that he seems to be a bit old to still be a "cool guy" and that by this point, he should have the requisite maturity to realize that being a bit more inclusive when commenting on his "sport" would serve him well.

As for the other stuff, what could be more "one dimensional" than spending the entire day doing skateboarding on snow?

Depends upon the day and the conditions. Given that I live in Vermont, groomed hardpack is the prevailing condition and yes, the majority of the time is spent carving the cord. That said, with fresh snow, all of the other options are on the table and I enjoy them all.

Did I pass?

I don't know that I'd go with the "golf" analogy, but I understand the premise.

I will admit to finding some irritation with the prevailing culture of snowboarding being so anti "sport". Just today I saw coverage of the unveiling of the US Snowboard Team Olympic uniforms by some aging queen "fashion" expert at Burton. His primary goal, above even function was finding a look that was as iconoclastic as possible. That strikes me as being cheap theater and nothing more. I guess that when I see things like this and hear folks like Mr. Richards suggest that "anything racing sucks" it pushes my buttons. That said, enjoying the day on a snowboard can take many forms.

Truthfully, what I'm afraid of are retards with 2000 dollars worth of gear and clothing smoking cigarettes and listening to music while they bomb out of control past my family and then flip us off when we get annoyed.

Yeah, kids are indeed kids, but geez, these are Olympic uniforms to be worn by a number of folks, more than a few of whom are not kids!

In any event, as is often the case with this medium, a bit of time and we see that we have more to agree upon than a single post might reveal. It was nice "chatting" with you. Enjoy the snow....in whatever form you choose to slide upon it!!!!