Note to New Members ×

AC/DC softie stance poll

Neil Gendzwill

Hardbooters: what stance do you run in softies?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Hardbooters: what stance do you run in softies?

• Duck
    • Mildly forward (under 25 degrees)
    • Aggressively forward (over 25 degrees)
    • Mixed depending on application

From many responses here I get the impression that many riders turn to softboots and just want to do a similar riding as they do on their hardboot setups. And then they are disappointed with the performance ... Why not stay in hardboots?

When I am on softboots I have a different focus. I like carving in softies as well, but it´s not my priority on such occasions.

And looking at the pros in boardercross events and my personal experience, I don´t think the high angles are the way to go ...

For several years now I use 18° -6°. My stance got wider every year the last couple of years. On freeride boards I use 23". On freestyle boards 24".

On a boardercross board I might consider slightly higher angles ... maybe 21° 6° ... just an idea ...

From many responses here I get the impression that many riders turn to softboots and just want to do a similar riding as they do on their hardboot setups. And then they are disappointed with the performance ... Why not stay in hardboots?

I gave up softies when my equipment finally gave up the ghost in spring of 2008

When I am on softboots I have a different focus. I like carving in softies as well, but it´s not my priority on such occasions.

Same here. I just hated overhang, and I didn't have a very wide board, and getting one wasn't a priority.

Coming from a hard plate background I find I will try to ride my soft deck as if it were a hard deck. I ride around 50 degrees front and maybe 52 or 53 in the back. On hard decks it was about 66 front 69 back.

you ride higher angles in the back?

why would you try to ride softboots like hardboots?

just wondering

I set up a board depending on how and what I want to do with it.

121 "The Mini" I am ducked out.

152 Twin tip I am 22 front, 18 rear (agressive)

Everything else in my arsenel is very agressive with around 48 to 38 front and rear angles. Heels and toes on the edges, no overhang, and superb power transfer.

From day one both of my boots have always been angled forward and for the last 24 years it has worked for me extremely well. I did try the "duck" stance one season for about 3 times out, but because I was used to such a hard angle on my front foot I ended up injuring a knee. Front has always been 35 or more since I started and my upper body position is the reason why.

On my 167 Arbor Roundhouse I usually ride 18-24 in front, and 9-12 in back. Low enough that I don't get any overhang (or at least noticeable amounts, I don't really ride groomers with it) with my sz.29 boots, but aggressive enough that I can charge through pretty much anything. I find it works particularly well in moguls and tight trees. And of course, Driver X's work perfectly with it.:cool:

usually run about 27F, 6R.. but as noted by many this changes quick depending on which board i'm on and what the conditions are. East coast ice hauling - more centered turn the angles up. West coast trees - duck out the back foot, shift everything back. Spring slush - bigger duck, super wide, off to the park. last season i spent most of my softie time at a +27 front centered, -3 back over the back set of inserts, but thats just what i found works best for me on a 172 prior MFR.

I dont know why/how you would run >45's on softies... get a set of plates if you want to carve like you're on plates. softies have a regular place in my quiver, but i dont try and ride it like it's a plate board.

malamutes and cateks. the adjustability of the catek allows you to tune out the heel lift problems etc. the technique changes a bit and you use different foot pressure but it feels more like a skwal or a waterski in the rear foot when pressuring a toeside edge. I ride the x3 that way with huge success.:biggthump

usually run about 27F, 6R.. but as noted by many this changes quick depending on which board i'm on and what the conditions are. East coast ice hauling - more centered turn the angles up. West coast trees - duck out the back foot, shift everything back. Spring slush - bigger duck, super wide, off to the park. last season i spent most of my softie time at a +27 front centered, -3 back over the back set of inserts, but thats just what i found works best for me on a 172 prior MFR.

I dont know why/how you would run >45's on softies... get a set of plates if you want to carve like you're on plates. softies have a regular place in my quiver, but i dont try and ride it like it's a plate board.

45 degrees is the most difficult it gets easier above and below that. I ride a surfrods occasionally with near 80 degrees due to the narrow board width. feels just like my skwal with hard boots. 45 degrees is the worst for sure. I think most people just havent tried it above that. you have to have the toes on the edge and the heels on the edge for maximum edge pressure so you have to be willing to change angles from one board to the next. I find this useful if I am getting burnt out I can switch boards and angles and find a new set of legs to finish the day.:biggthump

This is not for the ice coasters or boiler plate riding. It excells in conditions that are to soft for hard boots. I can carve long after the hardboot only crowd has called it a day due to conditions. We can go a month with nothing but powder here and bottomless soft groomers. I still love the carve so I have adapted.