Note to New Members ×

Blue Mtn. 09/10 Season

JBS

Teach

I guess I do go a bit deeper when I tune.

I remove bindings and discs. I do a cold rub with the wax , then iron it and apply some extra drops in dry areas. But dont put on too thick, just enough to moisten the base. It then scrap and then brass brush and plastic brush from front to back of the board 8-10 strokes per area.

I have had suction before too and have seen where the triaxial base pattern allows for release of the base.

I think today may have just been one of those days.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

gman, most of my boards seem to be 0/0. When you say 1/1 do you mean measured from the base, and perpendicular to the base, so the angle made by the edges is a right angle, or is the side edge measured relative to the base edge, so you have an 89 degree angle at the edge?

I think opening up this discussion would bring people with different favorite procedures optimized for different snow conditions, potentially making it more confusing.

Chubz, gman, do you both try to brush all the wax out of the structure? Do you use cold wax near the edges? How often do you wax?

Thanks for the help!

yes, one and one makes a 90 degree angle on the edge, just canted one degree toward the center of the board on the side and one degree toward the top sheet on the base. Very durable and the standard for most tuning applications. The kids on the race team get 3 degree side bevel but they are in every week for a new tune. I tune my board with 2 degree side bevel (or 88, depending on how you look at it).

As far as wax goes, I have no idea what the composition of the base is on my ancient Rossignol, but I suspect it is an extruded base that doesn't need or take much wax, low maintenance, but not as fast.

My soft set up has a sintered base and I wax it quite often. It gets hot waxed before every snow storm, which is just about every time I ride it since I only ride it when we have pow.

On both my boards I use Swix LF 7 fluorinated wax. It has a temp rating from 18-28 degrees which is good 90% of the time here at blue. It is also priced on the low end for fluorinated wax, I think we sell it for $15 for 60 grams. I may switch to a warmer temp wax as the season goes on. I don't bother with the powder wax (cocaine of the ski industry), or mixing waxes.

As for my method, I wax my board by coating the iron with wax by rubbing a block on it, then rubbing the coated iron on to the board. I repeat until the entire board has been coated (Be sure to keep the iron moving or you will scorch your base). After the board is coated and wax sufficiently ironed in, I allow the wax to cool, but not all the way to room temperature (this makes scraping easier). I then scrape the board with a plastic blade to remove the excess wax, and then use the buffer on our machine waxer to buff out the rest. I suppose if I didn't have the buffer at my disposal I would use a nylon brush. You can't buff your board too much. You can, however waste wax by using too much.

I think i suck then. I was there friday morning and thought it was awful - It was all thick-grained sugar that I could not set an edge in for the life of me. Probably a better description: tiny ice balls that would not pack down, just move around. The bottom of a lot of the trails were so bumpy that I was getting tossed. MAYBE it was because I was there in the morning and stuff was still frozen? Would have been fun in the soft setup, though.

I will be there this friday haha, probably. not ready to give up the season yet. :boxing_sm

I keep hearing rumors about another snowstorm coming but I can't find any evidence for this - anyone else hear this?

a little late in the conversation but for what it's worth:

I do a cold wax rub on first then apply an all-temp layer on that with the iron. I don't scrape because frankly I don't notice a difference, at least not one that matters. I used to scrape and that just meant more waxing, more mess and less base protection. my .02

I think mykcuz was referring to Friday at ECES. Wed thursday and Friday we all unreal conditions. I dont think I have ever seen snow hold up to that many carvers clear to last chair at 4pm. Great times great turns!!!

Hopefully Blue holds up for another below freezing spell.

I probably should have looked up this word before posting:

"Glance" - A brief or cursory look; To look briefly (at something); To graze a surface...

no but seriously if anyone needs to bake there's a lot of sugar at blue.