Note to New Members ×

Blue Mtn. 09/10 Season

JBS

Just two of my sense.

In the days I have gotten in over the years, trends tend to show that grooming dramatically takes a nosedive when good ole Pa weather, spikes, rains and dips in a few cycles. depending on wet weather freeze thaw cycle, it creates the varibility in the snow, just like the reason avalanches are caused with layering and the weather cycles of those snow layers. Snow on weak layer casues slide. Crummy snow getting spewed out of a groomer at certain freeze and thaw cycles put down a layer of crap that doesnt stick together or whatever.

With that, groomer can only do so much. Schitty snow is schitty snow.

NOW if they get good solid consistent weather below freezing and getting good coverage and they screw it up with ridges left between grooming runs and other stuff that can be buffed out on the slope, thats when I get pissed.

I also get pissed when ski patrol does nothig to straightliners and ski right past rocks laying on the slopes. I have yet to see patrol yank anyone for riding recklessly unless you are on paradise.

Thats crummy groomy.

I dont know I wasnt there today and now glad I wasnt, lets keep fingers crossed for continue snow making and cold temp becasue at least then we can hope it sticks togehter and doesnt turn to layers of sugar crap

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great conditions today!!! A few slick spots here and there,but overall a nice firm carvable surface. I was going to leave, but I ran into Eric during my last run and took a couple with him. Got to hit Razor's right after the race team quit at 11. Razor was the :eplus2: !!!!!

Eric, how is your ankle? I hope it is nothing too serious. I'll look for you next time.

I'll be out tomorrow, but unfortunately Razor will be closed for a PA race tomorrow. I guess it will be a Madd, Madd day Sunday!

Jesse

I was coming across on the toeside and crossed over to heel and the nose dug in. The board spun around under me and my body didn't. Next thing I knew I was head first down the mountain. Happened on Razor's Edge.

Did you get boots yet? If you want to borrow a board, I have some that I won't be on again this year.

that's really a shame, I guess the upside is that you didn't get even more hurt, or permanently injured. My boots arrived yesterday :1luvu:, it was a little like christmas, I'm not going to lie. They surprisingly fit me really well, maybe a little room above my smaller toes, but the front toe is touching the front just barely and I'm getting 0 heel lift when I buckle down tight.

I'm going tonight...FEI (for everyone's information - ha). I think I will just stick to paradise...maybe dreamweaver but I don't think I'm that confident yet.

I've been washing out on heelside a lot. I was going to post about it but I figured I should just wait and see how I did on the hard setup. I found another thread from a while back about someone's board "skipping" out on toeside, which is what's happening to me, but heelside. I am 99% sure it is posture problem. People said to stay more "centered" on the board and bend knees, but it's really hard to feel that out when I can't see myself. I will post tonight/tomorrow about how it goes.

Eric, I might take you up on that board offer if I am having trouble with my two boards. Right now I only have the 167 prior and it is a little intimidating looking haha, but I also ordered a Generics 160 as more of an AM board. If those aren't working out I will let you know.

Nick,

I have been riding a SIMS 167. I was not sure that I could do it at first, but its not bad. It was not as hard to turn as it seemed. I also have a Burton AMP 5.3. Its a bit wider. 22.2cm waist. The SIMS is 18.1cm.

Let me know.

emorris AT vonmorris DOT com

emorris, I did exactly that, except on Switchback and in soft boots. Instead of my ankle, it was my (bad) front knee which took the twist. The board shot me into the air like a springboard. I think if that happened on Razor I'd be getting surgery again! Three to six weeks is not long at all; you'll be back for the best part of the season! Maybe even some real snow.

Nick, I went tonight to practice with my hard boot setup, I wonder if you were there too? I tried Paradise, Lazy Mile, Main St and Switchback and they were all bad (either bad snow conditions or too many people for me to concentrate). I spent most of my time on Easy Out/Vista. Really nice snow and almost no one, so I could take as much space as I (felt I) needed to carve. Pretty proud of the nice trenches I made on the beginner slopes! On to Intermediate! Well, after I get Paradise down...

Jesse, it was really hurting when the boot came off. So I drove myself to the hospital for an x-Ray. Fractured just above the ankle. Doc said three to six weeks.

But the few runs I got in were nice.

Hey, get well soon.

JL1, let me know when your up at the loaf again, good riding with you guys.

John

Hey guys, I have been lurking this forum for a while and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Greg and I have been hardbooting for a little over a month now. I met someone on the main street chair sometime before Christmas back when nothing east of main street was open and he told me about this website, which has been a great resource for me to get into this niche of snowboarding.

Since I have started carving, I've run into JP1 several times at the mountain, but so far he is the only other hardbooter I have ridden with, and I would love the opportunity to meet and take a few runs with some other local carvers.

I usually ride weekday mornings, when the conditions are good enough to motivate me to get out of bed. I am the night time shift manager at the summit rental shop, and work 2 to close every night except wednesday, so if you are forced to ride at night, stop by and say hello.

And yes Chubs, I agree Razor's was sick this morning, we saw some of the trenches you were laying. It is about time too, it has been closed every morning for ski races or race practice since Friday.

--Greg

Well, since we're doing introductions I might as well stop lurking and post as well. I've been riding alpine gear on and off for about 2 months (1 last season and 1 this season) with riding sparingly maybe 5-6 times a month. I'm the president of the Lehigh University Snowboard Club and we have 3 other alpine riders at the moment. We usually go every Thurs. and Sunday night, and I will be there this Thursday from about 5-9:30pm if anyone will be around, or I can maybe stop in and see Greg( I assume you'll be somewhere behind the rental counters?).

I met NickG a week or so ago but haven't been out since I saw him because I've been loaded with work. I also briefly spoke with someone in the lift line on pond skim day last season while I was on a 167 Burner in nothing but board shorts and a T-shirt, no idea who it was though.

Hope to see you guys on the mountain, feel free to flag me down if you see someone wearing a black coat, white pants and white helmet while making sloppy carves(or yelling at a large group of hooligans in my club at the upper lodge).

-Anthony-

Bummer, looks like I'll be making 1 carve then evasive maneuvers the rest of the way down paradise, worse things have happened though, I'm happy to at least get out with the way my luck has been going.

Well if all goes well I'll see you at the summit lodge shop at rental shop at some point, maybe later on after the initial bus-rush.

Mobbed :mad: today by 10 AM !!! How you guys ride on a weekend, I have NO idea (More power to you). If you don't have a Season Pass, you may want to save your money for a BTS instead of getting mugged @ Blue? I'm ready for SKES :D..............Good Luck

Ha ha yeah it's mobbed all the time though so that's not new. I was at Camelback last Saturday from about 10am-4pm and it was way crowded, but I had a really good day so I was happy.

I'll be at Blue this Thursday night 5:00pm to 9:00pm if anyone will be around.

Stopped in the rental shop but apparently you were on break Greg, I'll try again next time I'm around.

Anthony