Note to New Members ×

Blue Mtn. 09/10 Season

JBS

Teach

Were you in an orange jacket?

JBS and I kept seeing someone in an orange jacket every so often. We hiut raceway twice then headed back over to the quad.

Razor was ugly right after ski team due to slalom ruts about a foot deep, but the sun came out, ruts slightly filled and one could pick your way thru the ugliness for some good sticky turns.

Hope to see you out there one of these days and get some turns.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm in a dark charcoal jacket, usually. Huge blue helmet. I was just riding Vista and Lazy Mile until 10 Saturday, left when it got crowded. Getting better with tight turns on moderate slopes (on the Incline, will take the Coiler out today).

I should be there this weekend, both mornings, if nothing decides to mess with me.

Gman, I'll look for you today in the rental shop.

I will be there friday morning, bright and early (finally have a day off). Hopefully it will be empty-ish until 2-3pm.

Anyone around? I would love some help with working my knees. Glenn gave me some pointers but I didn't have much time to practice as it was getting crowded.

Oh ps I had my first hit from a skier a few weeks ago. Lucky it was a girl who was pretty light - I was toeside and suddenly saw ski tips under me and thought, "Oh...so this is how it happens" *SLAM*. We were both ok though. She said, "you just cut over and I ..." then trailed off. I should have said "And you were what?...straight-lining?"

Chubz, I see why you wear armor. I'm considering getting some hockey pads or something.

I will be at Blue on Monday-anybody else-Don't think I will get first tracks as we are taking a few niece's with us but should be there late morning-I believe it is Buckmans customer appreciation day or something= discounted lift tickets from Buckmans-wife got the tickets so I do not have the details on that.

Joe

I'll be riding early tomorrow and Sunday. I think the SL stick will make an appearance at some point. There will be a race on Razor on Saturday, but should be open on Sunday.

Greg, when are you going to bring the OD? or is it too Madd!

I couldnt get out today due to helping my brother get back in shape, so I am putting him thru some rigorous workouts;) and my kids 4th bday party at noon.

I think I might be up for whipping the OD around. gotta see how my schedule pans out for the day.

Hope today at Blue Mtn Ski temas personal mountain was fun.

John said it was suprisingly stiuff yesterday morning with the warm temps the day b4

Yesterday was a little firm in the morning, but great for the Madd and the crowds started to get a little crazy. Almost bagged it early, but then right at 10 Razor opened. This was the run of the day. I'm not sure how many runs I took, but I hobbled to the parking lot at 12:30 with my legs on fire and a huge smile on my face.

Chubz, trust me on this one, take the OD out again and hit Razor. That sucka needs steeps to be happy.

Can't wait for ECES.

Jesse

JBS and Chubz, nice to see you last weekend. JBS, the tip about the knee really helps. Amazing. I did a run down Lazy Mile to get back to the top before I left and was way better than earlier that day. I think the runs on Razor helped, too.

Took the 177 Coiler AM out. Worked beautifully! Ctrost, just in case you're reading, I meant to ask you what the base and side edge angles are? Looks like 2.5 side and just a little bit on the base? Like 0.2 or so? Nice board, thanks!

teach, Chris doesn't get on BOL too often but I was talking to him today (ECES planning). He said he had the Coiler tuned at Buckman's a while ago ago but doesn't remember what the edge angles were tuned to. Sorry about that. Maybe one of the more experienced guys (Chubz, JBS, etc.) can make a recommendation or email Bruce to see what he says.

I run 2 degree side bevel, 1 degree base. The sharper your edges, the more often they need to be sharpened. 2 degrees seems to have reasonable durability. JP1 runs 3 degree side bevel, but he sharpens his board every time he goes out. I sharpen mine every 3-5 days on the mountain

If we are talking tune.

I have stuck with 0* and 0* bevel on my board, thats what it came from Bruce as.

I only sharpen maybe twice per season (50 or so half days) and run a gummy stone periodically afterwards.

If its so icy that I need a deeper bevel or tune that often, I bag it and go home, too many other variables to conisder on such days, i.e. other idiots on skis and boards smacking into the back side of me.

I intend to keep it at 0/0 becuase I dont like tunig all that often, but I also defer to the tune king, JBS.

Plus it being slightly detuned helps work on technique and then when it has a fresh tune on good stiff snow, it makes it hero like.

Thanks. Partly I wanted to know this board's angles so I don't mess it up. Don't want to take too much off inadvertently. But generally what people use for angles and even base prep and waxing procedure for our special snow conditions is something I've meant to ask. For example, does base structure even matter?

As far as my minimal knowledge knows, the base structure affects the speed of the board. I have seen various base structure over the years and I dont change out board often enough to notice performance of one structure to the next, plus snow is ever changing here in PA so you might prepare it for certain conditions then it changes. that being said, I just ride and dont worry about all the hubbub. Keep it waxed with a good all around wax, periodically sharpened and gummi stoned and ride.

Now if I was in the starting gate at the Olympics trying to trim .1 of second off my time, then I would just wear a tighter speed suit;) and tested base structure.

The last bit, I think for east PA conditions, sticking with slighter angles (0*, .5* and 1*) allows the board to stay tuned longer and edges last even longer. If they are already ground, I beleive its tough to go back to lower angles.

But then again I am talking all based on theory.

I'm wondering how much of what you read is for that 1 sec. There's something there. For example, yesterday afternoon getting off the lift my base actually stuck to the snow. Wrong wax, I guess. On the flat you could feel the suction holding the board down.

I don't want to change the angles on the Coiler exactly for the reason you say... every time you change angles you're taking off edge (since you can't put it back on the other side). It looks to be between 2 and 3 side, 0 and 0.5 base. Actually, I guess the best approach might be to start high and slowly reduce, so the metal you take off is only what's necessary?

How about brushing after waxing? Or just let the snow do it? Maybe not brushing enough caused the stickiness yesterday?

Lot's of things can cause the stickiness. It could be the wrong wax or not enough wax, the natural snow we have been getting lately is very sticky in its own right. Was it your first run? Another possibility is that your board was warm, causing the snow to thaw and freeze causing it to stick to your base.

Base structure affects not just speed but handling of your board. This is what stone grinding is for. Like an ice skate, when skis and snowboards are up on edge, they cause the snow to melt and for a thin layer of water that the edge rides on, reducing friction and generating speed (different situation from when you got off the lift). Base structure is used to channel that water in an efficient manner, rather than have it just being pushed away under your board randomly. At blue we use a structure that runs parallel with the running length of the board. We use the same base structure on all our tunes, ski and snowboard, race and recreational. Our head tuner has 30 years of experience tuning and race coaching and he has tried all the structures our machine is capable of creating and we use the program that works best.

The side bevel is easy to change from higher to lower angles, the base angle is a little more difficult to go to a lower angle because it requires grinding the base down. Most equipment comes pre-tuned to 1 degree and there is no need to ever change that, for general tunes, unless requested otherwise, we do a 1 degree base, 1 degree side. For race tunes we do 1 degree base, 3 degree side.

PS: We should probably be having this discussion on another thread where more people will read it and a) offer their advice and b) possibly learn something themselves