Note to New Members ×

helmet

Guest boogieman

<p>I use one, and love it. Every time this question comes up (and it comes up fairly often) there's always a bunch of people saying how much they like their Giro 9.

The main advantages:

<ul><li><p>Very light weight (this is important)<li><p>Flexible venting system makes it comfortable regardless of the temperature.</ul><p>But as always, you gotta try one on to see that it fits your head and is compatible with your goggles.

Guest boogieman

thanks

and the picture say this is not a pipe, not this is not a sig

(its a picture of a pipe!)

and does anyone have a leedom ive seen a fuw pictures of leedom helmets and they look pretty cool but does anyone know if they are good also?

Originally posted by boogieman

and does anyone have a leedom ive seen a fuw pictures of leedom helmets and they look pretty cool but does anyone know if they are good also?

I use Leedom helmets: They fit MY head very well, are super-comfy and warm. Also, they are the only ski helmets I know of that are SNELL certified. That's a plus in my book. Snell has some very tough standards that give me extra piece of mind. Many automotive racing organizations will not allow helmets that are not Snell certified.

SNELL

And for my sweaty head, nothing beats the Leedom ventilation system.

EDIT: I take it back. It looks like Leedom helmets are no longer SNELL certified. Based on comfort and ventillation, Leedom still makes a very good helmet that's hard to beat.

Leedom helmets are very good. They fit very well for most people. The Leedom has the best impact protection out there that I know of but is rather heavy and I do not like the venting as well as the Giro 9. I have both and have not used the Leedom since I started wearing the Giro 9. I have the model with the visor.

If you are into riding with music you can get a "Tune UP" kit for the Giro. This kit is replacement ear pads/flaps that double as head phones for your portable music player.

Originally posted by Baka Dasai

<p>I use one, and love it. Every time this question comes up (and it comes up fairly often) there's always a bunch of people saying how much they like their Giro 9.

The main advantages:

<ul><li><p>Very light weight (this is important)<li><p>Flexible venting system makes it comfortable regardless of the temperature.</ul><p>But as always, you gotta try one on to see that it fits your head and is compatible with your goggles.

I have the same and I second that.

Derf

I'll second that. Before this helmet, I didn't like wearing helmets because I had an old Boeri Myto. It was big, heavy, uncomfortable, had no ventilation, and reduced hearing. Someone once teased me that I looked like Kazoo (from the Flintstones) while wearing it. But it was the only helmet I could find at the time that came close to fitting right.

I still don't like wearing helmets, simply because I grew up skiing and snowboarding without one and I think all helmets are sort of dorky unless you're in a race course. However, the Giro remedies all of the problems of my old helmet, and feels no different to me than wearing a regular knit hat, so I have no excuse not to wear it! And it's pretty decent looking, for a helmet.

Also, here are Consumer Reports helmet ratings. (This link may not work, it's a pay site)

I just bought a Sweet Rooster -- haven't used it for snowboarding yet, but it is very comfortable. I have used the Sweet Strutter whitewater helmet this past season, and both helmets are very strong and light. The snowboard helmet comes in at 400 grams...

Link of a review to the helmet:

http://www.boatertalk.com/article.php?id=62

Sweet designs revolve around the notion that with a stronger shell the helmet doesn't need to rely on a lot of thick padding, which results in a lighter and more comfortable helmet. The Rooster doesn't seem to have great venting -- I know that skateboarding in the Strutter made my head sweat... but I didn't mind.

tom.

Giro 9 -comfortable, light, warm, cool etc

Be aware also that helmets do not make you bulletproof - beyond a certain level of impact there may be alot of damage from your brain colliding with the inside of your skull - I forget the name of the injury now - perhaps someone medical will fill in

Originally posted by tpalka

I just bought a Sweet Rooster --

hey tpalka...salida, eh? I think youre the first person Ive seen from there

so you ride at monarch mostly? head over to CB some?

I rode monarch once...about 18" of fresh that day. Was fun!

I just bought a Giro mad max full-face helmet and I am thoroughly satisfied with it. (I am yet to snowboard with it, gotta stick to my mountain board for another month or so) If you are looking for protection from gnarlier crashes then go for the full face. Unfortunately the mad max does not have ventilation, but for me that means a warmer head on those übercold Wisconsin mornings.

Originally posted by D-Sub

Ive tried a few helmets on, and always felt like an idiot. I think I already have a large head and helmets make it look even bigger

funny how giro has that biker lookin helmet:)

the nine.9 with the audio flaps...thats a badass idea!

Hey that Biker looking helmet the " Bad Lieutenant" is an awesome helmet...I tried one on a week ago and other than my Boeri (which seems to be a different shape from other new Boeri's) it the only helmet I've been comfortable in. I want one bad but my wife (the ultimate arbiter) said NO!!! sigh maybe next year

I'm not certain but I thought the ear flaps with the ear phones were only compatible with the Giro Fuse. I have this helmet and have been extremely satisfied. It received good reviews for protection, comfort, and temperature regulation and over all good looks. As most have said though, fit is the most important factor in choosing a helmet. I try to always select function over fashion, but like most sometimes make sacrifices here and there.

Originally posted by D-Sub

so you ride at monarch mostly? head over to CB some?

I rode monarch once...about 18" of fresh that day. Was fun!

Ha ha, yes -- I ride mostly at Monarch. I just started boarding last season (March of this year). Hope to ski in CB sometime this season -- I guess it all depends on the snow.

18" at Monarch -- wow -- that's pretty much the most we get at a time, 2-3 times a year if we're lucky (at least in the past 4-5 years).

Let me know if/when you're coming over to Monarch, it'd be fun to meet up.

tom.

Hi Tom

in all honesty the odds of me bein at monarch ever again are slim to none. Im livin in CA right now...lookin to move to either Oregon or Montana, most likely Oregon...

I lived in Crested Butte for a season...never really liked the mountain or the people there. Drove to Monarch one day just to check it out, and happened to catch a perfect day. blessed!

ever head down to Wolf Creek from there?

Ah -- thought you were still in CB.

Yes, Wolf Creek is great -- I go there 2-4 times a season, depending on what the snow is like. Great powder there... but kind of weird slopes for tele'ing -- nice steeps to begin with, and way flat at the end. Then again, it might be perfect for my boarding level :)

tom.