Note to New Members ×

Camelback users

Bobby Buggs

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

switch 25+5 by Osprey is basically a 2 in 1 ... you can use the hydration pack separately from the main pack. I have this setup and really like it, but always use the combination.

I have a switch 16 - but the hydration pack is built in (wish it was separate like yours) - a great pack, although I don't use it very often. I don't think this series of packs is in production anymore.

Will they ship to the US and have you seen this unit

If they won't ship it outside Canada they note it quite obviously on the item page ( see here, second line under price:http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442627905&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302882912&bmUID=1259365795512)

Note that it does NOT include a bladder system, it's available but not included.

It is one of the smallest ones I have seen, comparable to the smallest Camelback that I have seen which was also pretty much a glorified pair of shoulder straps with a bladder. I don't think you would have much trouble with it under your jacket as long as you wear it a little low on your back.

Bobby,

Have a look at these Camelbak possibilities - they seem to be the lowest profile winter specific options:

http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreation/hydration-packs/2010-zoid.aspx

http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreation/hydration-packs/2010-scorpion.aspx

I haven't seen these in person, so I'm not sure of exact dimensions. I do know someone I could ask though. I have a contact at Camelbak. If you or anyone else has suggestions for ways that they could improve on low-profile designs to wear under a coat for lift served boarding, discuss and I'll forward.

There are also some other low profile packs that are not winter specific.

- Dave

Bobby,

If you or anyone else has suggestions for ways that they could improve on low-profile designs to wear under a coat for lift served boarding, discuss and I'll forward.

There are also some other low profile packs that are not winter specific.

- Dave

I have tried to wear other packs under my coat and it always seems that they are the least cumbersome when I wear them a bit lower on my back, they don't cause my jacket to bind across the shoulders that way.

If you or anyone else has suggestions for ways that they could improve on low-profile designs to wear under a coat for lift served boarding, discuss and I'll forward.

I have long thought that winter hydration systems are woefully underdesigned and generally not nearly as well thought out as they could be:

- Somebody needs to create a bladder that is wider and longer, with seams built into the center of the bladder it such that it is somewhat compartmentalized, and holds the same amount of liquid as a regular bladder flatter against your back, such that it doesn't make you look like the hunchback of Notre Dame (like most small camelbacks do) or press against the seat of the chairlift uncomfortably.

Otherwise, a larger bore tube will freeze up less. I specifically avoid the camelback packs because they use a stiffer/smaller bore tube, which freezes up way more rapidly than the Nalgene tube ... which is more flexible and wider. A wider more flexible tube allows the liquid to move around more freely, preventing it from freezing.

Somebody needs to create a winter hydration pack with a one way valve in the bladder that must be manually disengaged to allow liquid to flow, and an open ended tube with no bit at the end. Blowing in the bladder is fine but liquid still seeps back into the tube - and it eventually works its way to the bite valve, and then it freezes. This is because all these companies put the valve in the wrong friggin' place!! Put the valve in the bladder and the (open-ended) tube can never freeze because it is always empty unless you are drinking!!

Here is how it should work:

1. Put tube in mouth.

2. Open valve (through a pulling mechanism I would imagine).

3. Drink.

4. close valve.

5. drink remaining liquid in tube, blow it back into the pack through the one way valve, or just let it drip out.

6. Tube is now empty and cannot freeze.

Problem solved. This would also make replacement tubes way cheaper.

Otherwise: how about an integrated hydration pack/back protector ... I want to carry as little **** to the mountain as possible.

Every year I look at new winter hydration packs and every year its the same old product with different bags around them. The reason there are so many different offerings in this product category is because nobody has figured out how to do it right. If somebody made a camelback with the valve in the bladder and an integrated back protector that sat firm against my back, I'd happily drop significant cash on it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm new to using Camelbak and wanted to ask others how they use them (or Osprey or other varieties) effectively. I'm using a Dakine Heli Pro 20L backpack which is integrated to use a hydration pack and added a Camelbak 3-liter pouch. I will hopefully have the leaking mouthpiece solved for this weekend as well as the tube freezing issue.

My main question was how do you insulate yourself against a liter or two of cold water? The pouch is in the backpack and there is another 1/2" sturdy padding between the pack and my back and then my winter coat, and an Under Armour layer or two. I felt like my mid and lower back were colder than the rest of my body and this is where the water pouch sits in the backpack. I can put the pouch in the main compartment rather than the pouch-specific location and just put a folded wool vest in there to provide another 1-2" of wool 'spacer.' Are there other ideas? I don't like the 'hunchback' feeling either as it tends to pitch me forward on the chair lift and not everybody uses the bar and I don't want to fall off the front so sit a little sideways at times when possible.

Tried a CamelBak and don't like the hunchback position on the lift.

Switched to a Platypus (like at REI) that you can get with a "holster" and put it on your chest or somewhere more convenient. I find that a liter of water is about all I need for a day of riding. I keep it all inside my jacket so nothing freezes and it stays somewhere between body temp & freezing.

it's the second layer protecting my backbone, plus I blow air into it, keeps the tube empty, more protection from the straightlining mainstream.

I stopped wearing back protection awhile ago because I am a sweaty ape, but started blowing air into my camelbak much the same way. Don't know how much it will help but it certainly beats nothing.

I have a dakine heli pack 11L, and use a camel back 2L bladder (usually half full) w/insulated tube and it threads thru the shoulder strap so the only time it's frozen it was in the truck over night. Barely notice it's there and only on the lift.

If you feel the need to insulate from your back more, try a piece of sorel boot liner felt.

I've been riding with my Osprey Switch 25+5 for years and have never felt the 'cold water on my back'. There is a panel built into the back for a combination of structure, padding, ventilation. This pack is purpose built for active winter sport hydration.

However... I have yet to add an insulated sleeve to the water tube and every so often forget to blow air into it... so I get a frozen tube. You'd think I'd learn. Maybe I'll just spike with gin or vodka from now on.