Note to New Members ×

Heard in the lift line - 09-10 Edition

nekdut

The guide explained them snowboards are meant for bigger turns - you just dont do jump turns on 'em.

I ended up buying them a round of dogshark porters after. Amazing how far that goes for international relations.

Besides, I couldn't use all this up if i tried:

post-7526-141842306311_thumb.jpg

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week my friend, a girl, was trying to convince me that I don't have a snowboard suit but a ski suit (F2 BX suit) because it isn't baggy.

Fortunately, the suit has those Intec clasps that connect to Intec cables so I could prove it was indeed a snowboarding suit.

She was stunned... :eek: Who would buy such a thing!?!? :D

Deliberately messing up someones run may not be great, but I have destroyed, and I do mean destroyed, runs carving before. 8 inches of fresh, just rolled - so smooth, so fast. Me and another guy - on softies too - ripped it up. Figure 8ed the whole thing wall to wall leaving about a 5 inch trench.

Knew I was ruining it but didn't really care at that pint. It was just too much fun. Besides in another hour the whole would be moguls anyway.

You could ride Nakiska with us. We get up to Red Crow ASAP on a weekend, and four or five of us trench the crap out of it for a solid couple of hours. Then we stop at the bottom, grin and say "yep, they'll be grooming that tonight".

We figure we pay as much as anybody else to be on the hill, we're entitled to our fun too.

If it's a pow day and you are carving back and forth across the whole piste, you are being a dick.

'No friends on a powder day';'snooze you lose';I can think of many cliches that pretty much mean everybody is a dick on a powder day.

I do however wait one hour,until 10:00, before carving my favorite run on a 34 degree pitch at Silver when it has been groomed.After that the skidders,which is literally 99% of everyone else regardless of one or two planks,will have to negotiate my ruts.That hour of courtesy is followed with lots of guilt free positive crowd reacton from the lift.I should add though,that this run is rarely groomed more than two cats wide.;which leads me to one of the latest things I've been asked in the lift line while standing on the 210;'Where on this mountain can you ride that thing?"

It started at the lift line, our group of 5 hardbooters noticed an elderly gentleman coming in, on a freeride board, plastic mounteneering boots and plate bindings, mild forward stance.

Me: "Hello, Brother!"

Oldy: "Brother? What do you mean brother?"

I just showed at my boots/bindings and he smiled...

Then later on the top, our group chit-chatted for few seconds, so the Oldy had a head-start on us. 1/3 down the nice blue/black slope, we all zipped by him and stopped further down to rest. He joined in slowly and said:

"Oh boy, I've seen carvers and carvers, but nothing like this before! You go all the way down to the snow!?... and... where I can buy better bindings?"

We directed him to Bomber ;)

Me to a guy on a true mono ski

Me: what is that!

skier: it's a mono ski

Me: i thought i was on a mono ski!

skier: no, thats a alpine board

they really have to put out the same jokes as us in the lift line

saw a guy walk to the lift line with a old burton asym

Me: hey what is that board?

guy: it's a alpine board

Me: [looking down at my donek] i know...

guy: oh!!! (then he told me the model that i can't remember the name of)

So this morning two of us were ripping trenches into the groom and after an hour had the lifty guy say "There is a skier complaining about you guys taking up the whole mountain. He asked me to talk to you guys about it"

Now this was on a Tuesday morning with a handful of people on the mountain. Lots of wide open and empty slopes.

I replied to the lifty "Did he say we were unsafe?" Reply was "No".

So then I said "I paid the same for my lift ticket as he did" and kept on taking up the whole mountain. :)

The lift guy seemed to think it was funny that a skier complained to him about us carving.

I've been up on my old Nitro Asym the past few days due to the conditions. The public just stares and won't say anything (maybe I scare them into silence:eek:) but I'm assured at least twice a day that a lift rat will say 'You know your board is broken... right?'

Not in the liftline but rather at the urinal:eek:

This was during the ECES last week.

Ski coach is standing next to me and sees the ECES logo on my jacket.

Coach: "Say what is going on this week with you carvers, you guys are laying trenches all over the mountain?"

Me: "We've got a large event this week with over 100 alpine snowboarders".

Coach: "No sh$t, there are that many of you in New England"

Me: :lol: "yeah we come out of the woodwork for our events"

coach: "You guys rip and are a pleasure to watch."

Coach: "Noticed you guys have a demo tent, can anyone try them?"

Me: "Sure, stop by the tent we'll get you set up on board and some Sidewinders".

Coach now very excited: "REALLY, I can try some of them racing boards out?"

Me: "Sure can"

Coach: "You guys rock man, I'm coming over with some of my students after the race to try some boards"

We set up a ton of ski racers with SW's and boards and they had a blast.

If there's any sort of line-up, whatsoever, I do not ask, but just load 1st available chair. It is rude to pick and choose the seats while the poeple are waiting.

Denying someone the right to 1st available seat is increadibly rude. We all paid the tickets, right? There are just few examptions to this, like begginer kids with parents if they asked to be left alone, or an obviously intoxicated skier/rider...

I was denied by an instructor a week ago in the line, she said she would take a skier but not a boarder, then the guy behind me snuck around me to ride up with her. I felt discriminated against.

When people try and pull that crap, I remind them they are ALWAYS more than welcome to hop on the next chair.