Note to New Members ×

Heard in the lift line - 09-10 Edition

nekdut

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son and I were bumping it up at Crystal yesterday. Visibility was really bad, so bad that you sometimes had trouble seeing a bump in front of you, and sometimes not even that. Had a bunch of missed turns and was getting bounced around pretty good. Well I decided to ride completely controlled and slowly. My son was half the bump run below me so with all the grace that I could muster, I boarded down and said to him, "I sure am pretty." He replied, "At least your boarding is."

Why do you use ski boots on a snowboard?

I gave up explaining that there do exist hard boots for snowboarding as most people just dont get it, so its either "My skis were stolen", "These are special NASA ski boots 2000 dollars a piece" and other bull****.

good one Michael. Had to say I got lots of it as well, people most of the time like to know if I can ski in it to and why my board is so different. But since I'm a girl I have feeling they don't want to ask even if I can see they look at it. Guys like my bindings, always get that - " that is so cool, what is it". :)

And I don't think it's pick up line.

I sat down on the lift with my father and a couple probably in their late forties

(my best guess) and on the way up the lift there was a carver that went under the lift and the man says, "wow, you don't see that very often anymore" and his wife says, "See what?"

-He says "Carving!"

-"Whats carving?"

By then she had already missed him. So the guy starts explaining what it is and how they use an alpine or carving board.

-"Whats a carving board"

That was my queue. I lifted up my foot and said, "THIS" :D and the man just looked and it and said, "well i'll be darned"

Apparently he used to carve with a few of his buddies back in the day. He ended up following me down a run and told me he thought my riding was good. Glad i'm doing something right.:biggthump

i was riding under the chair, the other day and could faintly hear a girl holler "how do you do that?" i turned around and yield "SKILL!"

i wanna say some one was hooting at me from the lift, recently, too, but i'm not sure i was even riding hard... i lift is certainly has some unforgiving comments when you fall near it, too...

"When are you gonna start using poles?"

"15 years ago"

a little different for me,

skier; "I've never seen a boarder with poles. Why do you use poles?"

me; "Why do you use poles?"

skier: :confused:...

Some skiers do know why they use poles, so I don't have to tell them, turn initiation, pushing across the flats, easy to get up after a fall, upper body stability especially in the bumps, bush whacking in the trees, to lean on when resting, stepping out of the binding.

The lift attendant looks down at my board, nods his head and says," Oooh, that explains how you cranked that really tight turn up there." :biggthump

A nice acknowledgment considering:

1. This was only the first day that I started to consistently link carves, and

2. On the prior run I had popped my board up on its toeside edge--it promptly shot me off the trail, up an embankment and into a small stand of saplings. Glad he didn't see that one. ;)

The other day I was cruising slowly up to a small gaggle of softbooters forming up at the entrance to the lift. A flash of recognition spread across the face of one of them and he called out to me as he pointed to my setup "Hey... Alpine!" I smiled a bit and just said "yep..." then he said good naturedly "you're nuts!!!" I smiled widely back at him and said "yep..." again just as the lift whisked me away. I later found out later that some of the jibbers call me 'rocket man'