Note to New Members ×

Race to the Cup at Copper and Party

fin

For all you local carvers, there is some great racing this week up at Copper Mnt. This is a Race to the Cup series so it is for Olympic placement. Not only that but the talent that is here in town is amazing. It is the who’s who of alpine racing.

From the reports I have heard we have:

• Chris Klug (USA)
  • Simon and Philippe Schoch (Swiss)
  • Sigi Grabner (Austrian)
  • Tyler Jewel (USA)
  • Matt Morrison (Canada)
  • Jasey Jay Anderson (Canada)
  • Heinz Intager (Swiss)
  • Daniel Beiveson (Sweden)
  • Michelle Gorgone (USA)
  • Alexa Loo (Canada)

And the teams from various countries are:

• Swiss
  • Austrian
  • USA
  • Canadian
  • Japan
  • Sweden
  • Dutch
  • Korean
  • Hungry

And a bunch of other world class riders from various countries. I’ll try and out up a full list when I can.

So there is PGS on Thursday and Friday of this week. The fun part is the races start around 7:30-8:00 and finals around 10:00ish. I’ll get the final times tonight at the couches meeting and put them up.

And Bomber and Surefoot are sponsoring a party Friday (13th) night at Copper Mountain! It will be at the Incline Bar and Grill right there in the Burning Stones Plaza. It starts at 5pm and there will be a raffle and other surprises sure to bring the cops over. This is your opportunity to have a beer with a huge collection of world cup racers/Olympians. Open to everyone and all. Hope some of the locals here can make it and show our support for these athletes!

post-1-141842290184_thumb.jpg

I'm definately trying to get there for the party. I would love to see some old friends and wish them luck with their quest for gold.

I wish I could but it doesn't look like I will make it to the races. I love watching the best of the best in head to head battle. If you have never seen the races in person I highly recommend checking it out.

Ink

Only the Swiss team had the Black Pearls (and a few Japanese) and they where being very secretive with them for now. I suspect after the Olympics we'll see more information on them.

One more shot from the races. I really like this one because if anyone says that racers don't get low on their turns, show them this.

post-1-141842290758_thumb.jpg

.....will get up a folder by the weekend. But in the meantime....

Recognize the rider in pic 2?

Look at pic number 3.....the secret Canadian plate system.....was in Surefoot and heard about how the Canadian team was in the back room leading up to the race....tinkering.

post-57-141842290782_thumb.jpg

post-57-141842290785_thumb.jpg

post-57-141842290788_thumb.jpg

.....will get up a folder by the weekend. But in the meantime....

Recognize the rider in pic 2?

Look at pic number 3.....the secret Canadian plate system.....was in Surefoot and heard about how the Canadian team was in the back room leading up to the race....tinkering.

The rider on pic 2 ( Siegfried Grabner a.k.a. Sigi ) is wearing Atomic RT ski boots instead of his typical Northwave :confused:...

Only the Swiss team had the Black Pearls (and a few Japanese) and they where being very secretive with them for now. I suspect after the Olympics we'll see more information on them.

One more shot from the races. I really like this one because if anyone says that racers don't get low on their turns, show them this.

Great Shot Fin! Any chance of getting you to post a higher resolution version? That would make a great desktop photo!

Look at pic number 3.....the secret Canadian plate system.....

heh-heh ... I'm sure there's more to it than appearances but ... sure looks suspiciously similar to the side doors off a seventies era Vista Cruiser!

1970_VistaCruiserBlack.jpg

Sigi had his atomic race boots modified so they fit in the binding properly. anyone with the balls to try to snowboard on these boots-- have fun! he rode like NO ONE ELSE on ski boots that i have ever seen. Pure power.

The canadian team is riding what they call a "canoe paddle". Out of repsect for all teams and the amount of time they put into research, developing and testing, I will not post any pictures of these setups until they are made public.

I will tell you black pearl is riding a binding with a completely clear toe piece, the canadians are riding a "wooden" canoe paddle, and there are about 6 different riser-dampening set ups being tested by teams across the globe.

for the info? well... let's just wait and see what happens after the olympics.

In my 22 years of riding, the technology is on a break-through cycle... every once in a while things seem to become stagnant in alpine racing. this clearly is not the case at this point and time-- we are going to see and experience some great changes in the very near future.

Well said Neil. It seems that every team had some very custom set ups. Impressive to see this level of innovation in alpine snowboarding. On the flip side, I have also never seen so many Northwaves in my life. Are these racers getting new ones made or keeping old ones alive?

Old boots, Mark.

Funny in other Post people on BOL are bitching about the price of Hardboots but in the real world we are bitching about the quality....and even using other boots as options..... I would pay a grand for a boot that worked!

Well said Neil. It seems that every team had some very custom set ups. Impressive to see this level of innovation in alpine snowboarding. On the flip side, I have also never seen so many Northwaves in my life. Are these racers getting new ones made or keeping old ones alive?

Northwave stopped making Hardboot in 2001 and scrapped their mould, according to the legend. Eveything is at least 8 years old. It seems like racers are finding more and more of these Northwave .950 in old closets. People who had them are now prone to let them go for nice $$.

...in the real world we are bitching about the quality....and even using other boots as options..... I would pay a grand for a boot that worked!

Go the link HERE and then click on the 'Feedback' link that is just below the large image of the Track 700 (see attached image). The more people that provide feedback directly to DeeLuxe, the more likely they are to listen.

The other choice would be to email DeeLuxe directly at info@deeluxe.com. In fact, I would encourage anyone that has any feedback (positive or negative) to contact DeeLuxe.

post-35-141842290872_thumb.jpg