Note to New Members ×

Problem With Catek

redfordguy

Got a question. Has anyone ever had a problem with ordering equipment directly from catek. I ordered some bindings over two weeks ago and have not recieved them or had any response from them. Although they did bill me . Should i worry or are they just slow?

Hmmm, there is a nice little tool called Search :ices_ange

Just a bit slow. Not to worry. The Catek online store and billing are automated and may feel like Amazon.com but I understand everything else is done very manually by two guys as a part-time operation. They recently mass mailed this:

In short, it's lining up to be a fun season. Scott is back in the USA and ready answer any questions & emails you fire his way. Jeff is splitting his hours between shipping orders and spending some quality time behind the wheel of SolidWorks dreaming up new goodies. We're excited to be back on track for a new season.

You may receive a reassuring response if you email (Scott at catek dot com)

Yeah, I went to place an order last weekend and got a message that their security certificate had expired. Sent them an email letting them know I wanted to make a purchase but still haven't heard anything either. Too bad, really. They make great products. It's a shame they have such crappy customer service.

Did you guys read the Catek email you got? It stated that both Jeff and Scott are doing this as a second job. So with that being said you should expect to have slower response times. What's the rush anyways, it's not like your going to be on snow in the next couple of weeks in New England.

Guys, this is a niche sport and manufactures are barely making ends meat building product for us. If you can't deal with the slow response time might I suggest you buy Catek products from a supplier like Hardbooters, Donek, Prior, etc. If they have them in stock they should be able to ship them faster.

GeoffV- Actually yes I did read the email from Catek. I understand that this is not a full-time job for either Scott or Jeff. I have had several email conversations with Scott- some with very fast responses. And then they just stop. No explanation and nothing resolved, I just don't hear back.

I'm not here to start an argument. Lord knows there are enough of those floating around here. My point is simply that if you are going to set yourself up as a company, be prepared to run the company in a professional manner. That includes customer service. When a person buys a product, get it in the mail. Hire the neighbor kid to put things in a box and take 'em to the post office. Whatever. But get the job done. Yes, we have developed an expectation about hearing from companies and receiving our purchases in a timely fashion. Within reason, I don't think this is a bad thing. It's a hell of a lot better than it used to be when every purchase made came with the disclaimer "4-6 weeks for delivery". We don't live in that age any more and Catek needs to step up.

And btw, Sunday River has been open for 2 weeks now.

TED, I agree with you. I understand we are a small sport and they are a small company. There was no disclaimer about slow deliveries or response times. They had no problem charging my credit card instantly. All I am looking for is a response that they will ship and everything is o.k. By the way sunday river is open and i wanted to go set-up my new board with my new bindings. Guess that wont happen!!!!!!!!

I've owned Catek bindings (Freeride and Olympic) for about 7 years. In the past, when I needed parts, I could contact them and get them with no delay (especially when I contacted Scott....even before he worked for them).

One particular part I go through regularly is the ratchet for the toe strap. The return spring breaks and it just flops around. I try to keep a supply to replace them as needed. Last season, I ran out and emailed Catek to get more. I got no response, so I emailed again. No response. So then I called, left a message and again.....no response. I made it to the end of the season on the ratchets I had, but other parts started failing and this summer, I was getting desperate. I emailed and then called again and left a message. No answer. Then I sent a letter directly to Jeff and as usual, no response.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this company is in big trouble and I suspect will go belly up (if it hasn't already done so). How would you stay in business when you can't have the decency to answer communications from a loyal customer base? If I were looking for new bindings at this point, I would definitely not be sending credit card information to them. I love my bindings (especially my Freerides), but I'm disgusted and disappointed with Catek. I've done everything but show up at their front door.

One particular part I go through regularly is the ratchet for the toe strap. The return spring breaks and it just flops around. I try to keep a supply to replace them as needed.

Happened to me on my FR2, too. I kinda foresaw this and ordered extra rachet and toothstrap when I ordered the binding. It always pays to get spare parts when one gets the binding... ;)

All:

I am in the uncomfortable position of having to apologize for letting too many balls drop last season. Life and circumstances forced my focus elsewhere and customer service at CATEK suffered.

Moving forward this season, I pledge to do my part in rebuilding the support system for CATEK customers. I can be reached at scott@catek.com with any issues or questions. I will do my best to get answers back to you in a timely fashion.

Regards and best wishes for a snowy season,

Scott @ CATEK

I was fully ready to drop big money on a new set of FR2evo's this season, but I sent a few emails, and got no responses. I think I called once also.

I opted to get some from a forum member here on BOL secondhand, and was much more pleased with the transaction.

Catek a good product ? YES. Is it a secondary business? YES. Should customers be given second rate service? NO.

At least Catek does deliver the items albet slower than most would like, but they do deliver.

Just be patient, and hopefully they will get to you.

All:

I am in the uncomfortable position of having to apologize for letting too many balls drop last season. Life and circumstances forced my focus elsewhere and customer service at CATEK suffered.

Moving forward this season, I pledge to do my part in rebuilding the support system for CATEK customers. I can be reached at scott@catek.com with any issues or questions. I will do my best to get answers back to you in a timely fashion.

Regards and best wishes for a snowy season,

Scott @ CATEK

I have heard many good things about Catek brand bindings. I would like to order a set of the FR2 pros but am hesitent based on all the negative cutomer service comments I have seen over the last few years. How long would those take to get from the order date? What do I have to look forward to if something breaks and I need a part? Catek has such a good rep for quality. It is a shame that the company has let itself develop a bad rep for customer service.

Factor into that a lot of time wasting inquiries Catek gets

As a business owner, you really should re-think your attitude. There are no "time-wasting inquiries." Every interaction is another potential customer, and another chance to differentiate yourself from the competition.

If I were in Tex's position and this came through as a serious inquiry, I would explain that," no I can't trade for free" but offer a few other scenarios to help the potential customer. If they are looking for a really huge discount, help the potentail customer to understand what is takes to get into trading (of which I know nothing about). Recommend a few websites to get started, maybe a good book. A few questions to help someone find the info that they are looking for may not help me in the short term, but building "good will" among potential customers will build a better business in the long run.

That's how I run my business anyway. I'm amazed at how those who conduct a business directly related to the forum topic relate themselves to the general public.

For some reason, the loyal customer base that wants e-mail answered pronto regarding a $5.00 part or even a $300.00 binding is not being realistic nor being loyal. Factor into that a lot of time wasting inquiries Catek gets and hopefully you start to get the picture, it is jungle out there.

Just pray that you do not pi$$ these guys off enough that they decide to not make the bindings anymore or limit the production so that you have to wait a season to get the quality product you like. Ask the Coiler lovers here.

http://www.allboardssports.com

I think the difference between doing business with Coiler and Catek in this regard is that the customer is made aware that they are joining a waiting list up front when they order when they order from Bruce.

From the coiler.com order page:

"We are only producing a limited number of boards for this season, and all are on a 'first come, first served' basis, so… early orders are recommended to secure your position in our build schedule."

This is (literally) the first full sentence from the catek.com homepage:

"Bindings are starting to stack up on the shelves ready to ship, and we're excited to have the new Kessler Cross BX and Alpine Race boards with the latest BLACK topsheets heading our way soon."

All Catek would have to do to eliminate the complaints and bad press that they are getting here and elsewhere would be to set appropriate expectations, with a clear statement on their website that indicates what their capacity for order fulfillment and customer service is at present. People happily pay and wait lengthy periods of time for coilers, because they know what they are getting into up front.

Without prior knowledge of their current pace of operations from threads like this on this webste, if I were a visitor ordering from their website directly I would be very surprised to not receive my order in a timely fashion, particularly given the spit and polish of their nice, clean, professional looking site.

I don't think it is any surprise that small alpine companies do other things to pay the bills and can't operate like a full-time retail operation, but if the pace at which you operate does not match the expectations you set your customers up with (which I would consider somewhat disloyal) complaints are bound to arise.

Queequeg:

That's an excellent reminder regarding setting appropriate expectations. Cheers.

We are actively working on closing up the gaps in service and deliveries. Of course, laser engravers do go down and legit emails do land in the spam folder. In short, sh!t happens, but we're still here, still making bindings, and even working on new goodies.

Moving forward we will try to keep those expectations well within the confines of reality so there are no ugly surprises.

Scott @ CATEK

legit emails do land in the spam folder.
Scott, maybe you could request people to add a keyword to the subject line on their email, then you can set up your spam filters to accept that or easily scan for it yourself in the spam folder. Something like "CATEK ORDER:". Not everyone will remember to do that, but the next time someone posts here complaining about response times, people can say "did you add 'CATEK ORDER:' to your subject line?"

Queequeg:

That's an excellent reminder regarding setting appropriate expectations. Cheers.

We are actively working on closing up the gaps in service and deliveries. Of course, laser engravers do go down and legit emails do land in the spam folder. In short, sh!t happens, but we're still here, still making bindings, and even working on new goodies.

Moving forward we will try to keep those expectations well within the confines of reality so there are no ugly surprises.

Scott @ CATEK

Thanks Scott - You're a class act! And thanks again for the replacement parts for my OS2's early last season, those were a huge lifesaver.

Scott, maybe you could request people to add a keyword to the subject line on their email... [snip]

Not a bad idea, I'll think about that a bit.

I have already set up a few new rules to combat the erroneous spam filtering. I also do visual spot checks in the spam folder for legitimate messages, but that's ponderous with the hundreds to thousands of real spam messages that come in across the CATEK accounts every day.

As a rule, if you fire me an email and don't hear back within a day or two, send me a follow-up.

BTW: scott@catek.com is the very best address to use.

Will you trade for me for free? How about a huge discount?:confused:

Please respond ASAP so that you can differentiate yourself.:biggthump

If you are an accredited investor I will be happy to trade with you at a reasonable rate. If you are not an accredited investor, I can refer you to a very reasonable investment manager who would be happy to handle your business.

See, It really is that easy. :1luvu: