Note to New Members ×

WTB-> Startup looking for a board/bindings/boots

Steve D.

First off, I'd like to say hello! I'm a new guy here. :ices_ange

I am looking to buy a hardboot set-up this year, been wanting to try one for a while. My soft boot set-up is starting to bore me.

The board/bindings/boots will need to fit me (duh:D), I am/ have

-6' 3" tall

-200 pounds

-goofy stance (in case you want to sell me an asym hahah)

-mondo size 30'ish feet

-an experienced downhill skateboarder

-a 300-500$ budget for everything, I don't care about looks, it just needs to do the job

I like to go fast, and I like to carve.

This is me going 70mph in coloRADo

thank you!!!

gnar-1.jpg

huey2edit.jpg

-steve

I have a Rossignol 159 FC with Oxygen O2 bindings that I would sell to you for $100 + shipping. This is the board that I originally learned on and it was great for a couple years and then I upgraded. I am about your size and found that it was awesome. Let me know if you are interested: jbennett50 at hotmail dot com (jbennett50@hotmail.com).

:ices_ange

I am looking to buy a hardboot set-up this year, been wanting to try one for a while.

-6' 3" tall

-200 pounds

-mondo size 30'ish feet

-a 300-500$ budget for everything, I don't care about looks, it just needs to do the job

thank you!!!-steve

To measure mondo point (MP) size by your self (the simple way I liked):

Take a contractor's tape in CM (not the taylor "flimsy" tape). Heel all the way on the wall/base board. Measure from the wall/baseboard to the longest toe, take a straight line from the longest toe (make sure is perpendicular to the tape) and do it to the other foot and take the longest length.

I have these available:

Deeluxe SUZUKA MP29 new & used

Deeluxe INDY MP28 (SOLD)

Let me know,thx. Shoot me to carvingchanel (at) yahoo (dot) ca

Pixs ready

Cheers

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

-200 pounds

-mondo size 30'ish feet

-an experienced downhill skateboarder

welcome to bomberonline young mr. DOMAN

this is doug the old guy with all the cutting boards and duct tape gloves who hates footbraking.

i would have replied sooner but i just stumbled on this thread accidentally while clicking on the profile of a poster from the BINDING SETUP FOR BURTON PJ thread in the carving community forum.

i am sure i have at least one super stiff raceboard (either an older f2 speedster, nidecker extreme or prior wcr) from my existing quiver that i seldom use that will handle your hard charging 200 pound frame. i’ve also got lots of NON-burton bindings (oxygen, snowpro, sims, fritschi, f2 etc) that i’ve only used a few times. i’ll look them over and evaluate them and find you the least used and strongest set suitable for your situation. although i do have a vast collection of burton bindings i don’t like to part with them (lots of burton haters on bomberonline—i am NOT one of them.) since you weigh over 180 pounds i don’t really have any stock burton boards except for a few team issue boards that will handle your 200 pounds (and you are probably still growing too!) the only way to get a burton team board from me is to pry it out of my dead hands!

let me know where to ship the board and bindings. don’t worry about the price—no charge and i’ll also pay your shipping costs since you are on a tight student budget.

sorry i can’t help with your mondo 30 boots--all my boots are in the mondo 27 range. i suggest you try contacting my friend BORIS (his bomberonline user name is BlueB and his bomberonline email is normally enabled.) BORIS usually tries to keep an assortment of boot sizes on hand for his students at the cypress snowboard school where he teaches on weekends. i know you are on a student budget so don’t worry about the price of any boots that BORIS can dig up—he is easily bribed with skateboard wheels and parts if you don’t have much money. in any case, i’ll cover any shortfalls in payment for you in case the only boots he can find are too expensive.

i am really stoked you are going to give alpine snowboarding a chance. since i have skated with you i can tell you with certainty that your skateboarding style will translate well to alpine snowboarding. you will soon learn to appreciate the fact that it hurts a lot less to fall on snow than on concrete—most importantly you don’t have to worry about getting hit by a car!

i’ve been trying to get TOM EDSTRAND on an alpine board for years. i even dropped off a lift ticket for him and i’ve deliberately delayed retrieving one of my prior wcr boards from the landyachtz offices for years hoping the guy would get off his lazy ass and try it out. i don’t know what more I can do lol!

it will be probably easier if you get in touch with me through BORIS as i am only at home in burnaby about 5 or 6 days a month during the summer and fall. BORIS can give you my home phone number and email address if you need it. alternatively you can get my contact info from TOM EDSTRAND at landyachtz if BORIS is too busy.

btw i thought you might like this photo i took of you and ZAK MAYTUM in calgary:

domzak.jpg

later

doug

p.s. say hello to JIMMY FLINDT for me

Doug, you are a class act! Always willing to donate your gear to the people you believe would use it.

Unfortunatelly, I do not have any larger boots. Roy (CarvingScooby) has some 29 Raichles, if I'm not mistaken. They tend to run large, it should do the trick.

Hey, is the Prior at Landyachtz the famous super narrow one? Always wanted to take that thing for a spin...

hi BORIS

i just left STEVE a message at silverfish as he is always posting there and instructed him to deal with this matter here on bomberonline. he's probably busy with school now so may not hear from him until the weekend.

Are you local?

STEVE is from southern cal. somewhere in the greater los angeles area i think.

hi STEVE

thanks for the quick response.

give me until the end of the week to select a suitable board and set of bindngs for you as i have stuff stored both in the city and in the valley. in the meantime i need your exact foot size to try and find you a pair of boots. follow these guidelines copied/pasted from the bomberonline store to measure your feet:

"Determing size: What the Heck is "Mondo"?

Mondo is a European sizing system that is determined by Centimeters, and not random sizes like “8” or”10”. It is partially determined by the size of your feet and the size of your liners. If you have Mondo sized boots, the liners will be the same size. If you do not have Mondo sized boots, you will need to know this size.

How to Measure:

To find your Mondo size, place your foot on a piece of paper and mark your longest toe and heel of your longest foot, or stand against a wall and mark the longest part of your foot on a paper. Measure this distance in Centimeters (inches X 2.54). This is your Mondo size.

DO NOT CONVERT YOUR USA SIZE TO MONDO or VICE VERSA!!! Use the steps we have listed above, then downsize to the nearest whole size.

It will be one of the following sizes:

22 – 23 – 24 – 25 – 26 – 27 – 28 – 29 – 30 – 31

IMPORTANT: The sizes are from *.0 - *.9. If you measure a 26.7, let’s say, then you would downsize to a size 26 because the shell/liner will fit a size 26.0 – 26.9. If you go to a size 27, now you are in a boot/liner that fits 27.0 – 27.9. Downsizing is recommended."

if you could post this info on this thread before saturday then everyone can start keeping an eye out for boots in your PROBABLE size. the vancouver crew is meeting this saturday to divide up our new boards that we had delivered to a single address to minimize costs so this will give me a chance to grab some free shipping materials after everybody unpacks and to see if anybody has any leads on boots in your size. this way we don’t have to make a special effort soley on your behalf—AS YOU CAN SEE WE ARE NOT AS NICE AS YOU THINK, just consummate multi-taskers lol.

your stuff will be probably be shipped saturday, november 21.depending on how long it takes to find you some used boots. hope you will be home to receive the parcel during this timeframe. in the meantime i suggest you also try finding boots on your own in case no boots are available up here. let me know asap if you find some boots on your own as i can then immediately ship the board otherwise it will definitely be cheaper to ship the boots and board together in one big parcel.

one last bit of advice on bootfitting is most newbs end up with boots that are too big so make sure you trace as closely to your foot as possible. make sure you do this a few times until you consistently get the same number. at your age you are probably still growing so don’t think about GROWING INTO YOUR BOOTS--everyone on this website will tell you that would be a bad idea. make sure the boots fit from the get go otherwise it will be a nightmare learning to hardboot.

btw what is your existing softboot board? the one you use for freeriding not jibbing. this will give me an idea of how aggressively you ride.

and FYI Zak Maytum is starting to hardboot as well, he recently picked up a board.

i think venom elastomer upgrade kits won't be far behind lol!

catch up with you again next week.

doug

hi steve

my current softboot set-up is an Arbor mystic 162 that I got when i was 15.

I have a sort of "jumpy" carving style, heelside slash to a little "hop" to toeside slash

you are just the candidate for hardbooting. just change the word SLASH to BOTTOMTURN and you will have described hardooting!

thanks for responding so quickly since i know you had your hands full with the BONELLI races last week. hope that went well and that you didn’t sustain any injuries.

i already brought your board over to BORIS’ house last saturday and it can be shipped immediately if you are in a hurry for it

it is a race stock prior wcr. i generally like stiff boards so a few years ago i had asked a racer (200 pounder like you) to order an extra one for me. the board is 175 cm long and 19.5 cm wide. it is much thicker than the stock prior and i doubt that even 250 pound BOBDEA can easily flex this thing—in fact BORIS nearly had a hernia trying to hand flex it lol.

the board was the last generation of square tails before the wcr line went round tail so it will ride like a roundtail that is about 2 cm longer (177cm overall.) since the board was so stiff I could only ride it in hero conditions for no more than a few hours at a time before i was exhausted and i am a small guy (181 cm tall and 69.5 kilograms in weight.) with your extra height, weight and YOUTH you will be able to ride it for the entire day provided you are in good shape and use good technique. i doubt the board has more than 10 or 15 days on it in total so there is still plenty of life left. the original camber is probably still all there too. BORIS’ comment was “wow, this thing has a lot of camber” lol. also plenty of edge left--at least 95 % would be a conservative guess.

the 175 cm length is still short enough for a strong kid like you to muscle around during the initial “poor technique” learning stages but long enough to be stable at speed. any longer and you will have trouble handling icy conditions (even west coast faux ice lol) on narrow trails.

i don’t think you will be able to outperform this board for many years and will probably last as long as you have fun riding it.

i hope the board meets with your approval—here are the photos (i accidentally deleted the photo comparing the thickness of your board with BORIS’ stock wcr so ask him to post one if you need it:)

DougsWCR.jpg

THREE.jpg

TWO.jpg

if you have no objections to this board then just email BORIS (bomberonline member BlueB) your shipping information.

however your big feet and uncertainty of their size is presenting unforeseen problems with the bindings. i originally found a set of lightly used but very stout bindings that would handle your weight that should have fit a size 30 mondo boot. unfortunately, i used my new upz boots to estimate the upper limit in the binding’s adjustable range. when i tried to clamp one of ROY’s size 29 deeluxe/raichle boots in the bindings the boots were too big! the bindings would only work for you if you had upz boots but would likely be too small with raichle boots. i still don’t know what you meant by 30ish mondo. is your foot between 29 and 30 cm or between 30 and 31 cm or even BIGGER???

the problem is all my bindings are short plates which only fit mondo 27 or 27.5 depending on the boot and definitely won’t accommodate 30ish mondo. although i do have one pair of med/large f2 bindings (they only come in 2 sizes: sm/med and med/large) that i use whenever i ski and snowboard on the same day without changing out of my flexons the bindings are fairly old and probably not as safe for a hard charging 200 pounder unless they were brand new. i would advise you not to use these older f2 bindings but they are available if you insist.

since snowboard boots lack the standardization of ski boots (DIN standard) it would be best to bring the boot with you while shopping for bindings or vice versa. this is necessary as you are probably at the outer limits of the maximum adjustment for whatever brand of bindings you choose. too bad you didn’t have medium sized feet lol.

there are a few possible solutions:

1. cut off part of your foot so you can wear industry standard size 27 footwear.

2. ship you the board only and have you try to buy boots and bindings on your own in california. Option 2 can be done immediately without delay.

3. have you carefully measure your foot and trace it and email the size and diagram to me and i will try to get a pair of boots that will fit and then i can use these boots to ensure the bindings are large enough before i ship it to you.

4. the snowpros bindings are rated at up to size 31 but i think this is for upz boots only—it will possibly fit a 30 deeluxe/raichle boot. the td3 will fit up to size 30 mondo deeluxe/raichle boot . so it looks like either binding should work but only if your foot measures less than 31 cm and you can cram it into a 30 mondo point raichle boot or slightly bigger upz boot.

although i have about half a dozen old pairs of snowpros i am afraid of sending you a pair as they are old and i would never forgive myself if the bails were fatigued and you ended up breaking them and hurting yourself since you are so much heavier than i am. luckily i bought a new pair of snowpros this summer so i can send those to you as i can then be sure there is zero fatigue on them and they are still at their maximum strength in terms of safety and reliability. i just got these as backups so i will have plenty of time to order another pair before i will actually need them. alternatively, my td3 bindings only have about 10 days on them as i can only use them with burton boots—they are too big for my ups boots. since I got new upz boots this year i will have to spend most of my time on them trying to break them in as soon as possible. it is doubtful i would even use my td3 bindings at all this year so hopefully when it comes time to replace them the new model next year will accommodate smaller boots WITHOUT UNDUE MODIFICATIONS. otherwise i will have an unpleasant choice in the future of whether to give up upz boots or td3 bindings as I am not willing to use step-ins which accommodate all sizes of boots.

Option 4 of sending the board with either of these bindings choices (brand new snowpros or my lightly used td3s) can probably be done this saturday as that is the only day that is mutually convenient for BlueB and me. all i have to do is bring the bindings to BORIS’ house since the board is already there awaiting your instructions. since you will have the bindings you will be able to take them with you when you shop for boots.

5. BORIS suggested bomber bindings right off the bat because he knew i had 2 pairs of old td1 bindigs but i’ve had problems with td1’s ripping out inserts in the past so i would advise against you using td1 bindings! besides they are both dual 3 and 4 hole pattern so i want to keep as much burton compatible product as possible—being a big burton fan lol. however, it is an option if you want to risk it but I strongly advise against it. just offering this option out of respect for BORIS.

whatever you decide please remember the following:

- CANADA POST DEADLINE FOR SHIPPING TO THE U.S. IS DECEMBER 1, 2009 TO ENSURE DELIVERY BEFORE XMAS AND I AM GUESSING YOU WANT TO USE THIS STUFF DURING YOUR XMAS HOLIDAYS FROM SCHOOL. BESIDES I DON’T WANT TO DEAL WITH THIS MUCH LONGER AS MUCH AS YOU DISLIKE WAITING ANY LONGER. LET’S GET’ER DONE ASAP.

- TRY TO BUY YOUR BOOTS IN PERSON IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. YOU REALLY SHOULD TO TRY THEM ON YOUR FEET BEFORE YOU BUY—THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO ENSURE THEY FIT! MAIL ORDER IS A LAST RESORT.

let me know how you want to proceed. you people with sasquatch sized feet sure cause a lot of problems lol.

later

doug

Doug, Steve, just few c more on bindings...

Snowpro Race will bearly hold 29 boot, 30 I'm not even too shure, unless you can find the rare L/XL ones.

When I refered to TDs, I was more thinking TD2s, for the canting lifting options and suspension goodness.

Another binding to look at for the large boots are Fritschis. They can extent to stupidly large size. Base is made out of steel, so pretty indestructable. They have canting and heel/toe lift built in (nice amount), but no additional adjustabillity. The only part I don't like 100% for a big guy are the bails. They are about 5mm, more or less like Burtons.

Steve really has to do precise measurement of his feet (both, one could be bigger!). Then we'll have a real starting point, as we are just speculating right now...

Doug, Steve, just few c more on bindings...

Snowpro Race will bearly hold 29 boot, 30 I'm not even too shure, unless you can find the rare L/XL ones.

When I refered to TDs, I was more thinking TD2s, for the canting lifting options and suspension goodness.

Another binding to look at for the large boots are Fritschis. They can extent to stupidly large size. Base is made out of steel, so pretty indestructable. They have canting and heel/toe lift built in (nice amount), but no additional adjustabillity. The only part I don't like 100% for a big guy are the bails. They are about 5mm, more or less like Burtons.

Steve really has to do precise measurement of his feet (both, one could be bigger!). Then we'll have a real starting point, as we are just speculating right now...

hi BORIS and STEVE

thanks for the info BORIS. i guess snowpros are out and it will have to be td3 as i don't have td2s--i was on a self imposed exile from bomberonline for about 10 years and missed the td2 era lol. btw STEVE the td2 you see on the purecarve maverick belongs to BORIS--the photo was actually taken in his garage.

guess i can try to ask DAVE* if he wants to trade my shiny near new td3 for his his beat up td2 and old spare size 31.5 boots. however, have to wait to see what STEVE's foot size is. on second thought that doesn't help either as the td3 only fits size 30! yikes! better wait for STEVE's footsize info before doing further legwork otherwise we can waste a lot of time chasing untenable solutions.

true about the fritschi bails being 5mm but STEVE's 200 pound mass nixed that option, the snowpros had 6mm but then again STEVE's big feet nixed that option--AGAIN!

Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard the money pit train! Hope you have some room for all the boards you are going to collect.

I might have the whole enchilada for you.

I'll email you and we can chat more. I live in Denver, and if you are in the area, it will be very nice to help you.

Cheers,

Eric

just measured my feet

my right foot is

30.1625 centimeters long

my left foot is

30.00375 centimeters long

hi STEVE

were you able to take advantage of bomberonline member RKYMTN’s kind offer of assistance?

if not then read on. with your footsize of 30.2 cm you are technically a size 30 in a raichle/deeluxe. you can probably downsize to size 29 without too much PAIN but you won’t really know until you ride with a size 30 for a while. i suggest you just buy bomberonline member FATMARMONT’s bargain priced boots to use primarily as a measuring device and secondarily as a starter boot. it is only 30 bucks (shipping extra of course) and since he is located in the next state it is cheaper for him to ship directly to you. since i am sending you a stiff wcr board and stiff td3 bindings, you will probably want (most likely NEED) some flex as a beginner. the only place to do this in your total “carving system” is in your boots. although the raichle 124 boot only has 3 buckles, it does have a power strap and a fairly high cuff for a 3 buckle model. it was the stiffest of the 3 buckle raichles in that series (the 122, 123 and 124--the higher the number the stiffer if i recall correctly.) in other words, if you cinch up the power strap it is probably just as stiff as most flexier 4 buckle models. later when you get better, you can upgrade to a stiffer 4 buckle boot. here is FATMARMOT’s size 30 raichle 124 boots ad:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27038&highlight=size

please email BORIS (BlueB) your shipping info and ask BORIS to forward your email to me. that way we can exchange email address without my activating my email on bomberonline—i get too much email as it is lol. saturday is the only mutually convenient day for BORIS and me so please email us the shipping info ASAP. i need BORIS’ help as i have never shipped a board before and don’t want to cause a delay by screwing up since the CANADA POST deadline is DECEMBER 1 to ensure delivery before your xmas holidays from school.

btw keep your boot receipt and any other out of pocket shipping expenses you may incur and i will reimburse you for them. keep your original 300-500 dollar budget for your school expenses.

Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard the money pit train! Hope you have some room for all the boards you are going to collect.

I might have the whole enchilada for you.

I'll email you and we can chat more. I live in Denver, and if you are in the area, it will be very nice to help you.

Cheers,

Eric

hi RKYMTN

thanks for helping young STEVE D. out. i am already sending him a board and a set of bindings but if he likes your stuff better then tell him i will pay for it since he is on a tight student budget.

thanks

doug