Note to New Members ×

How long have you been Hardbooting?

Jack M

How long have you been hardbooting?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. How long have you been hardbooting?

You and your friends have been hard booting since the early 20th century? That is amazing! Jack, add another option to the poll...

:ices_ange

Sorry, BlueB, I had to...

:D BwaaHaaaHaaa,

See my son, I'm much older then you think... Sometimes it's hard to remember dates, faces... boots... In the good ol' days...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do plastic mounaineering boots count, cause I was using a pair of Raichle mountaineering boots on a Elite 150 in 1984/5/. Then I had my first full season in Austria (86/87) riding fluro pink Koflach's, plates and a Crazy Banana Mad Max 170:1luvu:. What a season, that board was the best powder board, till I snapped it. After that I rode high backs and plates. These dates might be out by a year but I was definately racing on Safari's.

Burton 3 strap Flex bindings at 35 and 15 and the stiffest boots I could find in about '91, '92 on a Sims Ace. May not qualify as "hardbooting"

It doesn't, I was doing the same in '88. Didn't start hardboots until '92. However using 3 strap bindings made it very easy to switch to hardboots.

Do plastic mounaineering boots count

They would, but I'm not sure sticking hardboots in strap bindings meant for softboots counts as "hardbooting". Anyone else?

It doesn't, I was doing the same in '88. Didn't start hardboots until '92. However using 3 strap bindings made it very easy to switch to hardboots.

They would, but I'm not sure sticking hardboots in strap bindings meant for softboots counts as "hardbooting". Anyone else?

I wouldn´t call it hardbooting either. The fixation is nowhere near what most of us would imagine as hardbooting.

Howmany years riding Hardboots as your primary setup?

I still love softboots too. I give them equal time, but when the conditions are prime, the hardboots come out and stay out as long as the conditions hold up and the muscles will let me. I often switch it up half way thru-out the day depending on how the crowds,weather, conditions and fatigue plays out.

As to how many with hardboot experience, 4.

Been riding "alpine stance" since day #1 on a snowboard back in 1996 and the first board I "ducked out" was in 2005 and was a 121 MINI.

I average 60 days a year though on snow, so I guess that would be a more accurate way to guestimate "how long". Some people could say they are "avid snowboarders" and been riding 25 years, but not actualy been on a showboard for a good part of those years other than a few days per season.

:lurk:

First day in spring of 1988 with Koflach boots (the pink ones) with Fritchi plates on Kemper Aggressor with what seemed like no sidecut. Went to Snowbird and got humbled on the boiler-plate off the tram. Still remember butt-checking several times until I got a feel for the board.

Primarily ride hardboots now but still have softies around for a change once a while and powder days.

Correct TT, I was using them in the early softie bindings before getting Fritchi and Avalanche plates.

Ink

The 1st board I bought for myself was a Crazy Banana, it had no holes on the board at all. I found some Fritchi bindings and had to figure out what stance, angles etc I needed. As a newb I or my buddy that started with me had no idea.

Man I remember how nervous I was drilling holes into a brand new board. :eek: Well that board only lasted half a season, edges blew out, Crazy Banana boards had no wood cores.

We've come a LONG way in this sport, back then you were locked into angles and stances until inserts came out.

What year did inserts start happing?

I was riding a 17.5 inch stance until 1999 I think.

I think it does. It still helped to transmit more, albeit a small amount, of power to the edge. And when I started doing it plate bindings weren't available. At the time nothing held the foot down well with either plate or soft bindings. Some of the early plates didn't hold the foot down very well either.

Anyone remember when Dave Dowd, riding for Naked Snowboards, would run HB on front foot and a Redwing work boot with mega heel (forward lean) out back? He was a proponent of both HB and SB at the same time. :)

Ink

The 1st board I bought for myself was a Crazy Banana, it had no holes on the board at all. I found some Fritchi bindings and had to figure out what stance, angles etc I needed. As a newb I or my buddy that started with me had no idea.

Man I remember how nervous I was drilling holes into a brand new board. :eek: Well that board only lasted half a season, edges blew out, Crazy Banana boards had no wood cores.

We've come a LONG way in this sport, back then you were locked into angles and stances until inserts came out.

What year did inserts start happing?

I was riding a 17.5 inch stance until 1999 I think.

Backhills had what was essentially a Helicoil for mounting their rubberband "binding" back in '80.

We would drill all the way thru and put construction style t-nuts in then add some drip ptex to sorta make things smooth.

I loved the early Barfoots with the circular insert pattern that was under the transparent fiberglass. At least you could see where you needed to drill with those.

My first season at Berthoud, around '80-'81, we would carry our boards and run off the lift when we got to the top. The lifties weren't very stoked when I started riding the chair with my board attached to my feet. It was funny when you would stand up to get off and the fins would pierce the ice and stop causing you to fall and get plowed by the chair. That was when I took the fins off my backhill.

Yep, the sport has come a long way and I love the new stuff.

Ink

First hardboot setup was December '92: '93 Burton M6 asym, Burton Variplate bindings, and Burton Megaflex boots. Never rode softies again. Followed the M6 two years later with a Hooger X-Act 158, damn I loved that board.

First board of any sort was fall 1983 - a DIY wood laminate board built in my basement, copying the Burton Performer - three 1/8" thick plywood layers glued together in a jig to get a convex base, 3 fins cut from aluminum angle stock, rubber strap bindings made from bicycle inner tubes. The next year I bought a Burton Performer Elite.

Him and Jose Fernandez were running this setup back when not even Damian had appeared on the scene yet.

Classic...

For me, 89 to about 97 when I gave it up to go back, full-time, to soft boots.

Been waffling about buying a new setup for some time, but this is the year.

Or did I read this right! Hardboots on a NOboard Now that Ive gotta see! Just kidding:)

Although I'd say generally my Supermodel is my main board, and I bring out the hard boot setup when racing or its hardpacked. Last year that changed, when every trip was a race trip.

I started riding with ski boots and plate bindings on a Burton Air. Was berated by a ski instructor once for choosing the most difficult setup to learn on.

After buying a soft boot setup, I made the switch to a PJ/hard boots

the day my K2 HC 72 was stolen. I never recovered that. That board rocked, although it did not like to turn fast.

Are the last two categories (26-30 and more than 31) on the poll a trick question?

The first plate bindings were built around 1985, right? That´s 24 years ... So how can anyone get in the last two categories :rolleyes:?

I was riding Burton plates in spring 1988, don't know much about the sport before that. Someone had to have made some home-made plate bindings before a major manf got in on the game.

Going into my 6th year in hardboots. Since I was no longer living close enough to the mountains, I had fewer and fewer good tree/pow days, I decided it was time to take advantage of the groom that I was seeing 95% of the time that I was going. So into hardboots I went. Been soft-booting since the "Sorel" days in 1988 or so, guess that makes it 20+ total years now on a snowboard and I think I started skiing around '78/9 or so.

all of the 1st hardboots that I saw coming out in the 80's(koflac, raichle, nordica) were ski mountaineering boots with a different cuff and/or lateral flex at the hinge.

Burton megaflex/UPS alpina, were the 1st snowboard specific boots I saw with cut back toe & heels, '88 or so

Toe drag's a drag man. My 1st setup

4011550673_88f48d8956.jpg4011546473_c9cf0d5f84.jpg

This was '86 after learning that sorels suck.

I used the 1st year scarpa terminators & SX91 rear entry with modified Duret strap bindings in '89, cutting out the highback & adding a cable heel bail. Plates with a ratchet strap toe bail.

Bought nordica SBH the next year & sims rotocant (:barf:)plates in '91, and burton rattraps in ''93, Nitro stepins '96 Still in use today.:biggthump

3500382683_0d2256a71b_b.jpg

I buy soft boot gear once a decade or so to remind myself that laces suck.