Note to New Members ×

News from Chris Klug

yyzcanuck

U.S. Champion Alpine Snowboarders Launch America's Snowboard Team

Professional snowboarders establish the country’s first, independent snowboard training organization with the aim to secure spots on Team USA and contend for medals at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games

(ASPEN, Colo., August 13, 2009) –

In an unprecedented initiative, a newly-formed independent group of Champion alpine snowboarders announced today the launch of America’s Snowboard Team® (AST). AST is the first independent, professional snowboard team in the United States created by athletes for athletes. Their mission is to raise the profile of alpine snowboarding and provide a premier training environment for Olympic hopefuls to qualify, and ultimately medal, at the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver, B.C.

AST is comprised of four U.S. National and World Cup Snowboard Champions: Chris Klug (Aspen, Colo.) , two-time U.S. Olympian and Olympic Bronze Medalist; Zac Kay (Mt. Shasta, Calif.), U.S. National Parallel Giant Slalom and Parallel Slalom Champion; Josh Wylie (Stratton Mtn., Vt.), 2009 U.S. Slalom Champion; and Erica Mueller (Steamboat Springs, Colo.), U.S. National Parallel Giant Slalom Champion. Each athlete has secured World Cup start positions for the upcoming Olympic qualifiers. The four AST athletes established an independent program to provide stronger funding and coaching in preparation for the race season and to ultimately secure spots on Team USA.

Rob Roy (Bend, Ore.), legendary alpine snowboarding coach and former U.S. Olympic Snowboard Team Coach in 1998, returns to coaching to join AST as Head Coach. “I am thrilled to have this opportunity to coach the talented and motivated athletes of America’s Snowboard Team in pursuit of Olympic Gold,” Roy said. Ian Price (Bend, Ore.), former World Cup snowboard racer, and two-time U.S. Open Champion, will serve as AST Assistant Coach and Technician. Over the next eight months AST will be training at Mt. Hood, Ore., as well as Summit County, Colo. and Aspen, Colo. – home of America’s Snowboard Team.

Fans can meet the AST team at www.americassnowboardteam.com and engage in an interactive blog with the athletes and view a complete schedule of AST training camps and Olympic qualifying competitions. In addition, the Web site will feature a short highlight video, including riding and on-the-road footage, as well as interviews with the athletes.

“I am so excited about our new team. I believe this gives my teammates and I the best chance to contend for medals next February in Vancouver,” said Klug. “I’m looking forward to working hard with my teammates and Rob Roy again to achieve our Olympic dreams,” Klug continued. Kay added, “It’s refreshing to be a part of such a positive environment where the athletes have a real voice.” Mueller included, “I feel so honored and proud to be a member of America’s Snowboard Team. It has made me realize that with a little hard work and a strong desire, I can be part of something I truly believe in—a team based on passion and dedication to our sport and to each other.” Mueller continued, “I think these qualities are what will take us to the podium in Vancouver next February.” Wylie expressed, “I’m super excited! All of the hard work putting this team together is paying off.” “We’re on-snow in a couple of weeks with a great new coach and four highly motivated athletes, I can’t ask for anything else. This is going to be a great season,” Wylie said.

While in pursuit of their Olympic dreams, over the next few months, AST will not only be training and competing, but they will also be riding with a humanitarian purpose in support of organ and tissue donation awareness through the Chris Klug Foundation (CKF). “Currently, over 100 thousand Americans are on the national waiting list for a life-saving organ transplant,” Klug stated. “As a nine-year liver transplant recipient, I am passionate about sharing the life-saving message with others in all that I do. I’m proud that our new team is helping support this effort, “Klug explained. All AST members are registered organ and tissue donors and support CKF in promoting the critical need for organ and tissue donation in the United States.

America’s Snowboard Team is supported by the following sponsors: Hooters, BCF and Aspen/Snowmass. To learn more about AST, visit www.americassnowboardteam.com.

America’s Snowboard Team®, is the first independent, professional snowboard organization in the United States created by athletes with the mission to raise the profile of alpine snowboarding and provide a premier training environment for Olympic hopefuls.

Sponsored by Hooters. How cool is that?

BrittanyJohnson_boarding.jpg

Seriously though, is this like what Bode did when he didn't feel like submitting to the restrictions of the US team? I'm guessing it doesn't change the rules about how many US Alpine Athletes can go to Whistler. But I'm also guessing that it means they don't have to rely on the US Team for funding. Anything that helps try to raise the profile of Alpine in general, and in the Olympics, is OK with me.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Klug made the front page of the sports page!! Article about their team and the private sponsorship.

Video , check out the interview http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/mediacenter/default.aspx?videoId=12304@koin.dayport.com&navCatId=156

Video , check out Klug's board (plate) http://www.kgw.com/video/index.html?nvid=400983&shu=1

video; Rob Roy commenting http://videos.oregonlive.com/oregonian/2009/09/olympian_bronze_medalist_chris.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

posted on AST/youtube site.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WI7GJfUSi4&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WI7GJfUSi4&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

also from Zac on AST site:

Hey Everyone,

We wrapped up our intense Copper training camp on Friday and our last week was by far the best and most productive. We were able to train alongside the Swiss, the lone Swede Daniel Biveson and the Canadians for most of the week. We set duel courses and even held a mock race one day with a cash purse that everyone chipped in for. Klug represented well in the mock race placing second and just losing by a couple tenths to Silver medalist Simone Schoch.

Everyone parted ways and went home for some much needed rest on Saturday. I was able to spend a few days at home but had to pack up and head over to Europe on Wednesday. I’m still in need of a World Cup start for the upcoming event in Limone, Piemonte so I needed to come to Austria and race in some Europa Cup’s.

Yesterday was the first race and my decision to fly over paid off, I started 33rd (once again a stacked field with a lot of the top World Cup riders) and ended up qualifying in 9th after two decent runs. The riders in the finals had their work cut out for them as there were over 200 riders in yesterday’s race so the snow conditions looked like a war zone with craters and ruts you could lose a small horse in.

I advanced through the first couple of rounds and soon found myself facing Anton Unterkofler from Austria in the finals with Adam Smith and Manual Vieth racing for 3rd and 4th. Anton had me by full penalty after I made a mistake on the 3rd gate from the finish in the first run. However, he ended up making the same mistake at the very same gate in the second run and I was able to hold on for the victory! Adam rode well both runs and took 3rd place.

Today’s race had a little better snow conditions but that came with hurricane force winds. I started even farther back today with the arrival of a few more good riders from the World Cup but I ended up qualifying 3rd and ended the day in 4th after they decided to cut the finals to one run duels because of the wind. Overall a great weekend for me and a good confidence boost for the World Cup in Limone!

Zac

This entry was posted on Monday, November 30th, 2009 at 8:00 am and is filed under Zac Kay. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Way to go Zac and Adam!

Ink

• 2 weeks later...