Note to New Members ×

Wutz up with Catek?!

Markman

Wondering if anybody knows if something is up with Catek? Are they out of business or just on summer shutdown? Put in an order 6 weeks ago, billed for it, but no goods, no answers to emails or phone calls. Hmmm.........

You're openning up a can of worms. Everyone is now going to mob you in defense of Catek... They're going to say that you're impatient and unreasonable, etc. etc.

Plain and simple, Catek communication and customer service SUCKS now as of 2008-2009. :AR15firin

You can argue it however you want to, but that's the truth, i think more than enough threads have come up this season and last that supports that claim.

NOTE: I didn't not say their product sucks, because it doesn't, in fact it's awesome. There's really very few bindings out there that compare - especially with the FR2s. I stand behind their product and its quality 100%.

As far as communication and customer service go, in the past it may have been good, but the past will only get you so far. There really is no excuse for this day and age of constant consistent instant communication - even if automated for online orders. Bomber pretty much runs a full time 2man/woman (Fin and Michelle) company, and communication is top notch, as is the product.

I can only think of how much business is being lost due to this major business blunder. I'm sure there's someone out there willing to work $10-$12hr w/o benefits part time and take on the roll of getting that in order. Ah well, what do i know, i'm not running my own shoppe...

You're openning up a can of worms. Everyone is now going to mob you in defense of Catek... They're going to say that you're impatient and unreasonable, etc. etc.

Plain and simple, Catek communication and customer service SUCKS now as of 2008-2009. :AR15firin

You can argue it however you want to, but that's the truth, i think more than enough threads have come up this season and last that supports that claim.

NOTE: I didn't not say their product sucks, because it doesn't, in fact it's awesome. There's really very few bindings out there that compare - especially with the FR2s. I stand behind their product and its quality 100%.

As far as communication and customer service go, in the past it may have been good, but the past will only get you so far. There really is no excuse for this day and age of constant consistent instant communication - even if automated for online orders. Bomber pretty much runs a full time 2man/woman (Fin and Michelle) company, and communication is top notch, as is the product.

I can only think of how much business is being lost due to this major business blunder. I'm sure there's someone out there willing to work $10-$12hr w/o benefits part time and take on the roll of getting that in order. Ah well, what do i know, i'm not running my own shoppe...

Amen...

Thanks for the posts.

I am a big believer in Catek's products, having used them for 10 years.

But, as far a customer service goes, it's one thing to not answer questions about binding compatibilities, for example, but quite another to collect money for goods and never ship them (at this point, I'm glad it was just an order for parts).

I really like Catek bindings, I own 2 sets of OS2's and one set of FR2's. But I have been very frusterated by the non-communication in the past. I really don't know if this hurts business, but it must in these present times of the Interwebz and such.

I know that if I lived anywhere Newport RI I would have driven over there and knocked on the door to find out what's up. Since Scott took off for England, the response has been abysmal.

I have been given a spiff because of the communication issue and delayed shipment, I am happy, they make a superior product, but I worry for their reputation and their future.

I think that any carvers in a 150-250 mile radius should get together and pull an intervention on em. Get across the idea that some customer communication is a far better thing than no customer communication. Get Jeff liquored up and make him pledge to send timely updates to paying customers. Or something like that. Buy advertising space across from his facility/house, on his way to work. Something. Have the local police stop him every day and question him on his customer relations. Get his Clurgy to give a sermon on customer communications.

God knows there has to be some way of getting a message across to them. I know from personal experience that telephone and email communications don't work, neither does fax.

Rick

That's a pretty complete set of suggestions. I especially like the thought of a priest guilting the Caytek guys into answering their calls and emails - but doesn't this only work on Catholics?

For me, it's not simply a matter of being able to get the parts from another vendor. I have already paid for them.

If they're on your credit card, get the charges reversed. If you can show the cc company some correspondence and state that you haven't heard back, they'll usually do that.

Then buy some Bombers. All well and good if Cateks are a great product, but if you won't be able to get parts if you bust something, what's the point?

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I could send out a hundred emails in a couple three hours if I was motivated. Some of them might even make sense even.

I still see no reason not to communicate with the people on a regular basis that buy your product. I get mass emails from them.

Rick

As many of you know, I'm in the business of selling gear online. Customer service is of preeminent importance to us and in the two and a half years we've been in business, I think we've done a pretty good job. In addition, we have an eBay store that has maintained a 100% Feedback score after more than 400 sales.

That being said, I'm baffled as to why Catek doesn't communcate better with its customers. Proper communication is the lifeblood of an ecommerce business.

Last month I received an email from Catek advertising F2 TI race bindings on sale. I sent a question to them about wedges and got a reply. I ordered the bindings on 4/27 and realized I had ordered Medium instead of Large. I sent an email to Scott who replied on 4/29 with "I've made update notes on the order and followed up with an email to Jeff, who will be shipping out the bindings. We'll send Large, not Mediums." That was the last I had heard from them. I have sent two emails and left a phone message asking for the tracking number with no response. Clearly I don't need the bindings for another six months but I'm getting concerned about whether or not I'll ever get them. It's one thing to produce a quality product but more attention to customer service is clearly needed. I wish Catek the best in their future endeavors but my enthusiasm for buying any more of their products just isn't there.

I have some Catek long plates and have never ridden anything else w/hardboots. I'm only able to say good things about Catek w/regard to my own experience. That said, I'm reluctant to do business with them after all the recent chatter.

I was thinking about taking Allee's advice and buying/trying Bomber's next go around. To the point: my boot size is 31.5 (Head Stratos) and I use Intec heels. If memory serves me correctly, when I originally investigated Alpine gear for myself, Catek's long plates may have been the only binding that would accomodate my boot. Anyone know if TD's will work for me?

Update: Just got an email saying my order had been processed and I was given a UPS tracking number. When I tracked it, it indicated that the package had been billed on 5/13 but never shipped. It's now been a month since the order was placed. I've sent off yet another WTF email to Scott.

Stay tuned.....

the man that is working hard to secure the homeland. Me think that security gear is more important than recreational gear

Are you saying that Jeff has deployed with the military?

Or is he now building stuff for the military?

Either way, my hat's off to him. But that's easy for me to say as he's not sitting on any of my money. :)

Are you saying that Jeff has deployed with the military?

Or is he now building stuff for the military?

Either way, my hat's off to him. But that's easy for me to say as he's not sitting on any of my money. :)

AFAIK he is an engineer for a company that is a vendor to the military. Or he works for the military directly. I forget which, but either way it's been like that for many years.

• 3 months later...

New data point:

Placed an order about 2 weeks ago. Credit card was charged the same day and I did get a notice of invoice automatically and per email. I also left them one voicemail and sent them two emails using their website for some related questions. I haven't heard back. Called a few more times but didn't get a live answer and didn't leave a voicemail any more. It is still summer and they may be busy with other stuff so I'll just wait and see.:lurk:

I'll write back when there is an update.:biggthump

Hi Chris. Thanks for your offer. I got catek (OS1), TD2 and Burton and none of them fit the cyborg so I have to go with OS2 indeed. I wanted(ordered) them in black and my credit card has been charged. I understand that you have a relation with Catek so If they can't deliver my order, I will knock on your door.

P.S. Just tried to look you up on facebook. Did you know that there are 417 Chris Houghtons on FB?