Note to New Members ×

Carving Magazine

alexgforce

Since this is a new magazine and we do want manufacturers to support it we tried to maintain the advertising at a reasonable cost.

Each manufacturer is offered 2 initial packages.

Package 1

2 page spread with the company profile, development and manufacturing processes (similar to the Donek spread in the beginning of this thread) and..

1 full page ad

The cost of this package is 500 Euros (approx. 700 USD)

Not trying to be a jerk, but don't you think charging a manufacturer to write a feature on them is a little inappropriate? If you want to be seen as a real writer/journalist/whatever, you can't allow that kind of thing (unless of course you label the entire article as advertising)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with you on this. First of all it is a common practice for every magazine to give out pages for related articles in exchange for ads. A company for example that buys an ad space is offered the possibility to submit an article that promotes its products. What we do is similar and we offer a package from the beggining that includes a full page ad plus a 2 page spread that each advertee can use in the way that he wants. We simply suggest that it should be in the form of a company profile that will promote whatever the manufacturer wants and at the same time provides information for the readers. And thats why the price of buying 1 page for an ad is not relative to the 1st package (420 USD vs 700 USD)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
anything ever happen with this?

The problem regarding the production of this magazine was that none of the manufacturers were willing to pay for the advertising. We were trying to get half of the production cost covered by the ads. Unfortunately we were unable to get even that. We still have all the material for the magazine and we still want to do it but we are looking for alternative means of funding this project.

online zine would be rad. in conjunction w/ this forum would be ideal (lots of examples like this in other sports). i'd love to see a repository for hardboot oriented semi/pro photography, stories (technical & lifestyle), resource links, etc. i'm sure there's some writing & shooting talent out there. i think it's the next step in disseminating / growing the niche.

We have concidered the online magazine but what would the difference with BOL be? BOL has everything a magazine has. Articles, photos, etc. The general idea was to have something that everyone would keep. There are so many people that have kept the snowboard life issues that had articles related to alpine snowboarding with pictures of Cliff Ahumada and a bunch of other guys. There was also an issue that had a full spread of NIKE ACG ad with Shannon Melhuse on a heel side turn.

Overall I think that when there is something printed it becomes part of history.

Ads for related stuff is not easy since the most of the companies do not know what carving is. If we had had an issue in our hands it would be much easier to approach them and sell advertising.

I was looking at an adventure magazine the other day, and there was a full page ad with 2 awesome shots of climbers. The ad had a little bio about each of them, and where they were climbing.

I thought, ok, what is this ad for? North Face? Patagonia? Black Diamond?

Nope! Scotch Whiskey. WTF? So ANY company can sponsor any sport, whether they are familiar with it or not. It's all about how WE market it to them.

Remember Phil Barube? The racer on the Canadian team? he was sponsored by a condom company. When I asked him about it, he said "why not? They give me money, and condoms". What more could a young traveling boy want? LOL Just proving my point.

We have to start thinking out of the box if we want to grow this sport.

• 1 month later...
We have to start thinking out of the box if we want to grow this sport.

We are so bummed this Magazine hasn't been able to get off the ground yet. We've got kids (I'm talkin' 8, 9, 10, 11 yr. olds) on hardboots. And what snowboarding magazines/resources are out there for them? There are kids out there who choose hardbooting. There are more and more posts from people looking for gear for the younger set. This is a good sign.

What are the chances of getting one of our guys on the Wheaties box? LOL!