Note to New Members ×

Carving Magazine

alexgforce

It is time to get everyone involved!

In Greece we have a magazine called EXTREME EXPERTS which has been very supportive to all our efforts to promote the sport. In collaboration with the specific magazine we have decided to produce the first and only magazine dedicated to the sport of snowboard carving. It will be an annual magazine and we are looking at a launch date in November 2009.

The magazine will be a luxurious publication (English language) of 160 pages covering all aspects of the sport. The first issue will be printed in 2000-3000 copies and will be sold worldwide at a price of 15 - 20 Euros (including shipping).

The contents of the magazine will be the following:

Carving events

a full spread for each event that took place during the year in different parts of the world.

A few weeks ago I posted a thread asking for all carving events that happen throughout the year. Therefore I would like to ask all people involved to send me (alexis@gforcecarving.com) their contact details and to start collecting material.

Interviews

Chris Klug, Joerg Egli and more talking about alpine snowboarding

Technique tips

Begginer, advanced and expert tips by Jack Michaud and others

Resorts

A presentation of worldwide resorts ideal for carving

Rider profiles

Each issue will feature 5 riders from different countries and different riding styles

Manufacturers

Presentation of manufacturers, their products and the development process

Ads

No magazine production can be feasible without ads

The concept of this magazine was presented in Solden during the Carving Masters event and judging by the people reaction and interest it seems that our community can definitely accept it and be a part of it.

The name that we are currently using in SNOWBOARD CARVING MANNUAL but it is a first approach and my no means final.

At this stage I would like to ask everyone to contribute their ideas for contents, name of the magazine and any other thoughts that you may have that will make this project as good as it should be.

Thank you for all your support.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex,

Its a great idea

Count us in for docs, infos etc when needed when we can.

We can also help organise interviews of old school guys we know over here in France or Switzerland if you need content!

As for suggestions:

Beeing subscribing to tsj ( the surfer's journal) since day 1 ( 1991?), I can confirm there is room for dedicated snowboard journal for more mature audience.

Jason Ford tried a few years back with the surfer's journal, but alas i think the core target of his was too young to be faithfull in the publication...

Basically the main difficulties u'll face is going to be the relative youth of the sport compare to surfing. We are lacking 70 years of history compare to the content of surfer's journal, (which is what makes it so great).. so difficulty will be that your readers will be from 35-55, when in surfing its 25-90...much wider base..and much more popular sport..

The advertisements:

Philosophically its a challenge: Will the magazine live with only a few selected ads ( there is 4-5 max in TSJ, the business model is: reader supported publication, which is why i subscribed at first, without even having a number one issue available) or will you rely on ads for financing the mag?

To my point of view, i'd rather spend a few more euros and not have to get my reading bugged by ads, or only a few at beginning and last cover. Its always a compromise, but i'm tired of expensive specialized magazine that are full of ads of all kinds > they should be free for the readers!

Good luck!

Nils

Alex, wow, applause for your efforts!!! Congrats to get this project started!!! :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump

Nils! Life is a two way street, “give and take”. Sorry, but this magazine only promotes events which are open for “everyone”, not “closed” events (for all other manufactures, besides swoard) like yours!

Just kidding ;) but maybe you guys consider to open you event for everyone at some point, at the end of the day, it should be good for the sport!!! :1luvu:

Alex, this is a great idea; something a lot of us here must have been dreaming about.

I second what Niels says about audience, ads, etc. With the nuance that you would expect such a magazine to be a showcase for the sport, hence reaching out to potential carvers. I remember someone here saying that carving was for snowboarders getting older. Don't want to judge that assertion, but it is true indeed that a whole lot of people are carving without being aware they do. Ultimately, they should realize they belong to the community.

A more philosophical question is "how focused" ? And I guess it also has to do with the title. If it is purely about carving, then you can write articles about carving on skis, but doing so about about big mountain freeride could be considered a little off-topic. This is an important choice but of course it's all about editorial angle. In my opinion, you should keep that open while making clear it's about snowboard carving.

Features, columns, etc. I think you have the basics. As a devoted reader of very specialized magazines on other topics, I would suggest you take great attention to the small columns, the ones that are short and informative. In my opinion, that's what keeps me coming back to these magazines I like: a column on history (that requires knowledge, study, specialized books, etc.), something about the blogs out there, a travel guide with addresses of seclusive places (secret spots, references, etc), invitations to private events. The main columns are the base for which people read the magazine, but after a while, your reader will realize that even though the pictures are glossy and the text is sharp and fun, this is more or less the same story repeating. Of course, your reader loves that, but you need to balance that feeling of "déjà-vu" with crazy features, because they will make the reader think "this magazine is like nothing else".

Distribution : should be worlwide for sure. THE Reference. If at some point there is a market for local magazines in local languages... French, Italian, German, Japanese, Russian, etc., its likely someone will come up with an idea.

Julien

PS : By the way, I am moving this summer to the "love island" at the Far East of the Mediterranean. Might have a chance to go riding in Greece. So you should make the first issue give all the Greek addresses and spots ;)...

160 pages? For 15-20 including shipping? Do you think you find enough advertisers for something like that? I really like thorough luxurious expert magazines like SoundOnSound or C'T, but their reader base is at least tenfold of 3000 people.

But it would be great reading material!

Things I would like:

- Hardboot centered (so also off piste on swallowtails)

- But not totally excluding skiing and weakbooting

- Information not on the internet (so have better pictures and more in-detail info)

- Ultimate carving spots (you might get advertisement money from reviewed resorts too)

- DIY tips like snowboardmaking, boot enhancement, binding tweaking, waxing, etcetera.

- Pre-season testing of new boards

- Make room for different types of carving, like racing, extreme carving, eurocarving more virus oriented, freestyle carving, etcetera

- Get to know some interesting non-expert people into carving

Ofcourse

Alex,

Good luck on your magazine project. Looks like you have a put a lot of effort in so far.

The Alpine scene in Japan is still pretty active with a respectable following. Carve Magazine has been published every year since 2001.

http://shop.mpcy.co.jp/shop/image_view.html?image=../shopimages/mpcy/010004000002.jpg

Most of the content is in Japanese so for most of us it is difficult to read. Many good photos and specs on new gear. Good vibe to it and interesting even if I can't read it.

This years edition included:

Info on rookies

Aticle on World Luxury Resorts (Mt. Hutt, NZ / Arapahoe Basin, CO , USA / Hoch-Ybring, Switzerland / Sungwoo Resort , Korea / Chapeico, Argentina)

Article on younger crew riders called "The Influence of 5 Others"

Sticker sheet

Training articles including Yoga, exercise and Gallium Wax Tech Tips

2008 Japan Pro Tour digest

Article on SG Invitational

Article on Japan Snowboard Association (JSBA) Demonstrator Festival

Article on Race Coaching/Training

Commentaries from Top Riders

Info pages for small ads (2 pages)

Specs for current model Alpine Decks

Gear Section (advertisements for Alpine related gear including clothing - 13 pages)

Fashion section - with latest styles

Article about BC Stream brand board factory

Article on edging for beinnger carvers

Article on previous year Carve Camp (Alpine Lessons)

Shop directory for those that carry Alpine Gear

Resort Summary for popular Alpine hangouts

Article/Photos regaing new DVD about Alpine Legends in Japan

Article about Japanese rider who spent time in LA and Carving at Mammoth

Articles on Nicolas Conte, Martin Freinademetz and Gitti Koeck

Gift guide

Might be a good reference for ideas. Not sure if they have any copies available but could check if you wanted. Email me through Bomber if you want me to investigate further.

BTW - you might be able to move some copies of your mag in Japan through shops that carry Alpine stuff.

Take care, Tom

This is a great idea and I think it is fantastic that you are doing something like this.

I think some of the severely limiting factors for our sport's growth are:

a) hard to find good, well-organized, clearly-written basic written instruction, with clear visual aids.

b) hard to find equipment to demo.

c) hard to find people to meet up with on hill.

It would be great if there were an article on getting started, from finding demo/loaner equipment to surviving your first day on the hill. Granted, there probably won't be that many first-time or aspiring hardbooters reading this thing at one issue per year, but it would probably still be useful. On second thought - maybe it would be better to include an article on how to successfully bring more softbooters into the fold, in terms of helping them demo equipment, and helping them survive their first few days in alpine equipment. I see a lot of guys who would like to try this out, but have no idea where to begin.

Thanks everyone for their support!!! There is going to be a lot of work involved so it's good to know that there are people who beleive in this project.

A lot of interesting ideas and we will definitely include some of them. I will be posting the progress and the contents as they develop.

When we first discussed this idea one of the first issues was how open it should be in terms of including other aspects like skiing or other sports. Although opening the scope would mean more sales we decided to keep it strictly for snowboard carving, alpine and racing. By opening the scope there is a danger to loose the magazine's identity and the whole purpose of the project.

Equipment reviews. A very sensitive matter. Who will be testing? What will the conditions be? How valid is their opinion? We would rather avoid this and be fair to everyone instead of promoting certain products for personal gain. The most important thing is to let everyone tell their story. Show different styles of riding, how to's and provide information related to the sport. In general a carving mAnnual covering the 3 basic questions: Where you ride. How you ride and what you ride.

Equipment reviews. A very sensitive matter. Who will be testing? What will the conditions be? How valid is their opinion? We would rather avoid this and be fair to everyone instead of promoting certain products for personal gain. The most important thing is to let everyone tell their story.

totally agree there: reviews are always biased so its better to not even talk about gear, unless its to explain how people work designing / making them as you are intending to do...what is good is a mag about people, not only about things money can buy, this is where history, stories, portraits are so welcome.

@ray: i'm not sure to understand? is this mag just about events? it seems to be more ambitious....as for not inviting other brands to the ECS (all riders on all gears are of course coming freely): its our choice, be it.

We never claimed we would turn our meeting into all brands event, I guess the CM meeting is there for that purpose already and Zinal is a too small resort for something similar anyway. I find it rather more interesting that events have different themes. We also have no energy or time for changing the way the ECS is working so I guess the claim we get ( strangely only since the CM exists) to invite other brands will stand short ( in another word: thank you but not possible ).

N.

I also think "manual" is misleading; I don't need an owners manual for my snowboard.

Magazine or Guide would be more accuate.

Maybe drop the descriptor altogether, we already know it's a magazine, SNOWBOARD CARVING should be sufficient

Alexis:

I responded to your post and wondered at the time where you were going with it. I was thinking that you were planning a dream tour of carving gatherings next year. The event was the Southern Ontario Session (SOS)

You can get in touch with me through my profile. And I would be thrilled to be able to offer you images from one of our session but, frankly, we get it into so much that nobody wants to stop and take pictures. So unfortunately, I have little to offer but I may be able to track something down through one of the participants from a few years ago.

I have a professional photographer that wants to ride with us next year so we may have a bonanza of shots in 2010.

.. so difficulty will be that your readers will be from 35-55, when in surfing its 25-90...much wider base..and much more popular sport..

I beg to differ. There are a growing number of young hardbooters out there that I think many people are unaware of. My son, Kubo, is 7 years old. Yes, 7. He was recently cited as the "youngest" hardbooter in America at the USASA Nationals. The oldest hardbooter, BTW, was 74. :biggthump

I think a publication like this is something our young hardbooters could really use, as information, and gear in particular, is especially hard for them to find! Trust me, we've been searching for gear for Kubo all season long!

post-8216-141842281589_thumb.jpg

I beg to differ. There are a growing number of young hardbooters out there that I think many people are unaware of. My son, Kubo, is 7 years old. Yes, 7. He was recently cited as the "youngest" hardbooter in America at the USASA Nationals. The oldest hardbooter, BTW, was 74. :biggthump

I think a publication like this is something our young hardbooters could really use, as information, and gear in particular, is especially hard for them to find! Trust me, we've been searching for gear for Kubo all season long!

How tall is he? weight? years boarding? skill level? etc.

I'm pretty sure he would do fine on a 158 with a small sidecut around 8 or 9 meters.

Basically the main difficulties u'll face is going to be the relative youth of the sport compare to surfing. We are lacking 70 years of history compare to the content of surfer's journal, (which is what makes it so great).. so difficulty will be that your readers will be from 35-55, when in surfing its 25-90...much wider base..and much more popular sport..

You ever figure out that there are 13, 14, and 15 year old carvers on Bomber and a few more younger out there? :smashfrea