Note to New Members ×

Carving Magazine

alexgforce

How tall is he? weight? years boarding? skill level? etc.

I'm pretty sure he would do fine on a 158 with a small sidecut around 8 or 9 meters.

He is only 46" tall and 46 lbs. He's been riding since he could walk, but he started racing last year (at age 6). This year he took the bronze in the giant slalom at the USASA Nationals - Ruggie division. His current board is only a 105 though so I think a 158 would be a stretch. ;)

We are looking for new gear for him for next season. I'll let you know what we find!

Thanks!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is only 46" tall and 46 lbs. He's been riding since he could walk, but he started racing last year (at age 6). This year he took the bronze in the giant slalom at the USASA Nationals - Ruggie division. His current board is only a 105 though so I think a 158 would be a stretch. ;)

We are looking for new gear for him for next season. I'll let you know what we find!

Thanks!

You might be able to find a 140 with a soft flex. you say he's in GS? what sidecut is in that short stick ?

I have a GS 168 with a 13 sidecut, and its fairly stiff.

I've always wanted to try racing...

Heheh my almost 3 year old nephew is about 40 inches 45 pounds and rides a 90.

Nobody really makes a race deck that small except Rabanser, even the 125 floating around on the classifieds, let alone a 140, is a stratospheric jump in size, especially when the relative change is a fifth of the length!

For you Julian, that would be like going from your Oxy to a 201 or thereabouts. (or something like 230 if you want to go the bigger option route!)

Not to go O/T even further, BUT Donek does custom templates on the cheap because of their CNC equipment, so if you're seriously looking for a new grom stick, that might be the way to go.

Heheh my almost 3 year old nephew is about 40 inches 45 pounds and rides a 90.

Nobody really makes a race deck that small except Rabanser, even the 125 floating around on the classifieds, let alone a 140, is a stratospheric jump in size, especially when the relative change is a fifth of the length!

For you Julian, that would be like going from your Oxy to a 201 or thereabouts. (or something like 230 if you want to go the bigger option route!)

Not to go O/T even further, BUT Donek does custom templates on the cheap because of their CNC equipment, so if you're seriously looking for a new grom stick, that might be the way to go.

I've always wanted to try a tinkler 203.... :rolleyes:

I beg to differ. There are a growing number of young hardbooters out there that I think many people are unaware of. My son, Kubo, is 7 years old. Yes, 7. He was recently cited as the "youngest" hardbooter in America at the USASA Nationals. The oldest hardbooter, BTW, was 74. :biggthump

I think a publication like this is something our young hardbooters could really use, as information, and gear in particular, is especially hard for them to find! Trust me, we've been searching for gear for Kubo all season long!

Thank you for the post and the photo of Kubo. I know everyone in the carving community is thrilled to see such a young alpine rider. We look forward to more posts of his progress.

If Kubo creates his own id , he could use 46X46 ? Very cool!!

Come up to OES 10? We will see what we can do.

Mike Tinkler is happy to build any size board you want. 82cm to 282cm, what ever your imagination can create.

How about you guys come to SNES ?

There are no sponsor tents currently so tinkler would sure-as-hell get some business. :biggthump

Who likes the signature/avatar combo?

Alex,

The mag looks fantastic! Good luck. I'm in for a subscription.

Also, I know there are a few writers on Bomber, myself included, who'd probably be willing to help with content if needed.

Way to grow the sport!

Excelent. Thanks.

Any ideas that you may have just email me directly.

Congrats Alex

Way to go, the first pics are just great. We have two small intense communities in the netherlands here too which love to train the gates: www.soulboarders.com and www.chacaltaya.nl. May be you/I can contact them to make a contribution to the magazine if you find this interesting. They are looking for ways here to make the sport bigger in the netherlands.

Basically the main difficulties u'll face is going to be the relative youth of the sport compare to surfing. We are lacking 70 years of history compare to the content of surfer's journal, (which is what makes it so great).. so difficulty will be that your readers will be from 35-55, when in surfing its 25-90...much wider base..and much more popular sport..

Nils

Not agree with you here Nils ;). At the CM2009 there were a lot of people who where a lot younger than 35. Even younger than 30. Many (young)

people were at the CM2009 for new boards to test and buy. The sport is growing which is a good thing. The sport is also getting younger.

I think... well, what can I get from a magazine which I can't get from the web... mostly high quality images, and good prose which is longer than a paragraph. And of course good grammar!

However that's been tried with other snowboard-niche magazines and hasn't worked to date, so it's a risky business.

I'd like to have a magazine which has modern graphic design as per some of the examples here - it should look really good. I'm sure you can make riding hard and fast look sexier than pictures of kiddies in baggy pants doing crude ballet on rails. It already is sexier to none snowboarders, so the challenge is taking that image to those who don't think grown people doing skate tricks is slightly odd.

You could show that snowboarders don't have to conceed the piste (and in fact the park) to skiers...

Perhaps that's a lot to ask. Well it would be nice to have a magazine which was funky enough to cause the same reaction to softbooters that a good hardbooter can get from them on piste. It could have enough stuff in it to show them how to get started too, which may be a lot of the issue now hard gear's generally not stocked anywhere most people go.

A good print mag will make it easy to share the carve stoke with the public.

I'm really looking forward to mag that's actually meant for adults

rather than aimed at teenage wannabe gangstas and packed with 60-70% ads showing them scraping up their bases on anything but snow.:barf:

I want to look at people turning on snowy mountains not wheelless skate boarders sliding rails.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alexis, I´m so excited to see the result and pretty sure that people will reward your efforts by ordering your mag. In this context, you will get any support from us you want!

<O:p

I myself would love to know more about production processes of the different manufacturers. In another thread, Fin shows step by step how he gives birth to his new baby (which has obviously no name yet :-) and explains the background. Would that be possible in regard to snowboard manufacturers (you?). Or do you think, a detailed report is “classified”?<O:p

In addition, I´m looking forward to see a lot of glossy prints of skilled riders to make ends meet during summer :)

Best wishes,<O:p

Ben<O:p</O:p

Ben is right - GO FOR IT!

If you want, we will try to add everything to make it look good.

I really would like to read more about the scene in other countries - Japan, Europe, us.... ;)

Thanks for joining the CM09 ..... GET READY for CM2010 :rolleyes:

Don't care on negative noises - everything you do is great, JUST DO!

Cheers

Lothar

Thanks for the support guys!!!

The objective of the magazine is to show the extent of alpine riding with all different riding styles that exist and what goes on in different coutries around the world.

In terms of the manufacturers we want to include anything that each manufacturer is willing to disclose in terms of development process, manufacturing methods etc.

The most important thing is to produce something that will contain information usefull for people that are have been part of the community for a while and for people that are just joining so they can get a good idea of what the sport is.

Let's hope we will be able to fulfill everyones expectations.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I am REALLY looking forward to issue number 1. I also want to offer some encouragement. Coming from someone that tends to lean towards the small niche sports, its definitely not easy to help grow the sport and reach wider audiences.

That being said, I disagree with your thought on product reviews and comparisons.

Yes, product reviews tend to be biased and are hard to make valid because of all the variables. But, you have a rare opportunity to surpass those difficulties. There are plenty of places to get advice on generally accepted standards of good technique, but for a beginner, knowing what equipment to buy can be a very difficult choice. Imagine if you had a comprehensive buying guide that was NOT biased and made sure to remain objective. All the beginners (and pretty much anyone looking to buy new equipment) would consult the magazine first since those reviews are so hard to find.

Also, Im not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but a guide to help beginners select the right equipment would be great too. Not brand-wise, but how to select the right size, stiffness, sidecut, etc. Something to help them figure our what attributes they need and want from their equipment in order to get to where they want to be.

Im sure I wont be able to convice you to do product reviews, but I think the equipment attribute selection is really necessary.

Looking forward to seeing more pages! Nice layout/designs :biggthump

Dear guesswho,

Thanks for the support and the encouragement!!

I think your idea about a guide for begginers is excellent. Not brand wise as you said but rather as a what equipment to look for and where to get it for people that are just starting.

The main reason that I would not want to include equipment reviews is the fact that I am also a manufacturer and I wouldn't like to use this magazine in any way to promote my own brand. In that respect I can understand if people would be sceptical reading board reviews in this magazine. My intention is to be fair to everyone and most important to represent the sport in the best possible way.

The magazine will be covering different riding styles which is an oportunity for the riders to talk about what equipment suits their riding style better which I think is more valid.

The magazine will be covering different riding styles which is an oportunity for the riders to talk about what equipment suits their riding style better which I think is more valid.

Like a "great job this past season Mr. Smith... what are you riding and why?" I think thats a good way to go about it.

Also, to return to Big Canuck's question, how can we make sure our names are on the list for one of those limited edition volume 1's? :)

-Adiel

Don't be too concerned about getting your hands on one of the first issues Adiel. Trust me we are more concerned for being able to sell the magazine rather than have it sold out.

Ideally we are planning to get 60% of the production expences covered by the ads so right now we are very anxious to sell spaces to manufacturers which is the most difficult thing. If we don't get support by the industry we will have to find alternative ways of financing the mag. So let's all keep our fingers crossed!!!!!

Since this is a new magazine and we do want manufacturers to support it we tried to maintain the advertising at a reasonable cost.

Each manufacturer is offered 2 initial packages.

Package 1

2 page spread with the company profile, development and manufacturing processes (similar to the Donek spread in the beginning of this thread) and..

1 full page ad

The cost of this package is 500 Euros (approx. 700 USD)

Package 2

1 full page ad

Tha cost of this package is 300 Euro (approx. 420 USD)

If we'll manage to exceed the percentage of the production expences that we are aiming for we will then invest in placing ads of the carvmag in major snowboard or ski magazines.

We are also trying to establish a presence of the magazine in trade shows like ISPO and SIA.

This is the cover with the final logo that we developed.

post-2667-141842282587_thumb.jpg