Note to New Members ×

Mainstream titanal boards

Loc

I would assume it would have benefits .... I'd be pretty surprised if most BX boards aren't already loaded up with metal, but maybe somebody can confirm.

I assume you are talking about regular production boards produced by a mass-market snowboard company, because I'm pretty sure that coiler/donek/prior can make any board you want in a metal flavor if you ask. If it isn't happening in the softboot world maybe its an costs/margins issue, or a durability issue? I would (guess) that adding metal construction to an existing board template might to lower your profit margin for that board, such that you would have to raise prices to recover that loss. With so many softboot product lines out there, and with so much parity among them, along with the average softbooter not understanding all that much about board construction - I would assume this to be a very risky proposition for board makers-though it stands to reason that companies that have a "high-end" line should be able to bake it in to those models for riders willing to pay.

I also wonder if durability is an issue, with metal on a board with a very soft flex pattern?

I would assume it would have benefits .... I'd be pretty surprised if most BX boards aren't already loaded up with metal, but maybe somebody can confirm.

Palmer sold a metal BX board which was built by Kessler. Kessler has a BX board. Phil Fell could comment further on current BX equipment.

I don't have shop knowledge to know if any "mainstream" companies are adding metal.

Ink

Isn't the highend burton borad have metal in them?

ie the burton T6 and the vapor

anyone have thoughts on using T6/vapor/super model as softboot free ride?

product desc:

Alumafly Core

The Alumafly core is 90% air by volume and represents the perfect union of high-grade aerospace technology and EGD". The 3D® profiled tip-to-tail aluminum honeycomb construction combines engineered performance and strength in an ultra-lightweight core that provides a snappy, non-organic ride as a high-performance alternative to wood cores.

I built a 156 x23.5 with 9m for a lightweight softboot rider who tested while out at Bachelor. Super good feedback but I'm too busy with Alpine stuff to take it any farther at this time . Since it was my first effort and was really liked by those who tested it, no doubt the materials somewhat overcame any first design deficiencies so I would say there is definitely goodness to be had. Will get long term feedback soon.

BV

I tried a brand new one in Vermont several years ago...the guy at the Starting Gate hooked me up with brand new everything on the rental. If I remember correctly, I was riding softies at 42F, 27R, or similarly high and normally unstable angles.

It's a light, damp board that eats up bumps, yet has decent snap: this is behavior similar to that of the titanal boards you've seen discussed here. I wish I had bought it instead of the ultra-stiff BX board I ended up with.

F2 has an all-mountain directional alpine board (with titanium) called the Vantage. It has a 22.8 waist, so it might be a possibility if you have small feet or ride high angles. I've never ridden one, and I have to admit that I'm attracted to it primarily because of its topsheet, which is a refreshingly minimalist, subtle metal design in a world populated with visually offensive, garish snowboards: http://www.f2-snow.com/htdocs/boards-vantage.php?setsub=12&setnav=22

If you're a powerful rider looking for a speedy metal BX board, the Brutale might be up your alley: http://www.f2-snow.com/htdocs/boards-brutale.php?setsub=13&setnav=22

when you say freestyle board, i think metal would not be a good choice...

freestylers incorporate many different types of turning, slashing, buttering, etc... i dont think metal boards would offer the forgiveness to ride like most people want to when they strap onto their softies.

in SBX, it is a whole different story, but just freeriding and doing more than carving? i'd stay away. metal holds the snow too much for simple cruising around.

i ride a kessler, and when i put on my forum devin walsh freestyle board, i want to just go out and slide around, arc a turn here or there, but generally just want a lazy ride that still responds.

I built a 156 x23.5 with 9m for a lightweight softboot rider who tested while out at Bachelor. Super good feedback but I'm too busy with Alpine stuff to take it any farther at this time . Since it was my first effort and was really liked by those who tested it, no doubt the materials somewhat overcame any first design deficiencies so I would say there is definitely goodness to be had. Will get long term feedback soon.

BV

BV.. I think you forgot about X3... 159cm X 23.5 with 11.5scr.. correct..

I think Dr. D is lovin it as well as I did...

RSS

BV.. I think you forgot about X3... 159cm X 23.5 with 11.5scr.. correct..

I think Dr. D is lovin it as well as I did...

RSS

My mistake as you are correct . However it was intended for your big clumsy feet with hard boots.

The 56 I did was not designed for all mountain use as much as for carving in softies. Methinks that metal has a good future in that application

BV

BV

SEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

You're a ass kicker, now build it extra wide and put me in line.