Note to New Members ×

Don't Order a Coiler

Shred Gruumer

This is making me excited about my Coiler and I haven't even discussed details with Bruce yet (December '09 delivery).

This is definitely good, though, gives me ideas of what i want, although i have a pretty good idea. I just need to know what works and doesn't...

Jack, I assume you are done for the season? May be building Angrry # 2 later this week. Have another loyal 158 fan who owns 2 of them and can do back to back testing for another 5 or 6 weeks yet.

BV

Yes, I am done for the season, Sugarloaf is still open but I don't think conditions will be worth it. Also my wife has ACL reconstruction on Wednesday, so I will be playing nurse for a while afterwards. Wouldn't exactly win me any points to take off and go riding.

I've been now whole Easte ron Coiler NSR 168 wit slope condition varying from morning hard spring snow to full slush. And this board really is enjoy to ride.

At beginning i had problems with it due i was so confy with regular 182 NSR, that board just forgives everything and i've not been on boards under 180 for long time so it took some time to get used to thius small thing. But now it feels that i can do everything on that, such joy ride even today with 2 days in row with plus degrees.

But i must say that i still love NSR 182 more due it is so feaking forgiving board, it is har to do misstake which is not corrected by board. But this new small brother is nice option when i want to push more tight turns but still want have option to ride contolled high speed carves.

Thanks Bruce, this is one more master piece :1luvu:

9.5m seems a bit turny will Version 2 have something longer?

9.5 is nice on the 160. Eventually I will do a 170 with something closer to 11 or 12 m average. Don't forget these are averages of 3 sidecuts so if I did my job the board will work a bit on either end of those #s.

Tested a 168 VSR FC with 12m average today and that is probably going to be the best all around sidecut for medium speed FC duties.

The 9.5 is a real leg burner as it grips plenty good ,you can get down using up a very small portion of hill space and link a crazy amount of turns.

BV

9.5m seems a bit turny will Version 2 have something longer?

I had originally asked Bruce for an 11m average VSR, but we shall see how this 9.5 machine does. I'm wanting this board to be purely a sheer ice duty board because the 171 Schtubby is the go-to board for a broad range of conditions, including some ice (sidecut is a little long for the real boiler-plate).

It's funny, I rode my Madd 158 earlier this season in conditions where it wasn't needed (good snow) and it was a drag. Felt like I did a thousand 2-meter turns in one run. Then when I rode it a few weeks later on crappy rain-refrozen granular over solid ice, it was a dream. On the hard surface it didn't bend as much and rode longer, and really bit. And that board is what, avg 9m? 10m?

If I were a sensible person I'd save my money and just enjoy my Madd 158 on the icy days when it's needed. But I want to see what that board could be with metal, a slightly wider waist, and a decambered nose.

I had originally asked Bruce for an 11m average VSR, but we shall see how this 9.5 machine does. I'm wanting this board to be purely a sheer ice duty board because the 171 Schtubby is the go-to board for a broad range of conditions, including some ice (sidecut is a little long for the real boiler-plate).

It's funny, I rode my Madd 158 earlier this season in conditions where it wasn't needed (good snow) and it was a drag. Felt like I did a thousand 2-meter turns in one run. Then when I rode it a few weeks later on crappy rain-refrozen granular over solid ice, it was a dream. On the hard surface it didn't bend as much and rode longer, and really bit. And that board is what, avg 9m? 10m?

If I were a sensible person I'd save my money and just enjoy my Madd 158 on the icy days when it's needed. But I want to see what that board could be with metal, a slightly wider waist, and a decambered nose.

The 158 is average 9m which is pretty much identical to my new effort. I laid out the sidecuts the way I wanted to, checked them against a 158 and said "F it" so close may as well just make them the same:biggthump

Jack, I was also testing SCR near 11 average but the Angrry is a much more unique feel( like the original) and FUN. Will do a board to your specs if you like. The first one goes out to Tahoe today for testing later this week. Can't wait for the findings!

BV

The 158 is average 9m which is pretty much identical to my new effort. I laid out the sidecuts the way I wanted to, checked them against a 158 and said "F it" so close may as well just make them the same:biggthump

Jack, I was also testing SCR near 11 average but the Angrry is a much more unique feel( like the original) and FUN. Will do a board to your specs if you like. The first one goes out to Tahoe today for testing later this week. Can't wait for the findings!

BV

Nope, I'd like to try what you've already made before making any sidecut decisions. Sounds like you're on to something! :biggthump

Anymore testing get done on this thing? Whats the word B?

The first proto is out in Tahoe this weekend for testing so more info to come. When I tested it on day 2 , I kinda blew it as I softened the tail a bit and the pop was not as noticeable for my 185 lbs, however a lighter rider was now loving it. Good to know this anyways as it gives me design parameters to work off of. Proto # 2 gets assembled this week and tested soon after. Won't change much as I really liked the original, just play with the stiffness and amount of carbon a bit.

Won't get to do a 170 till early next season but it'll be a breeze to sort out as we already tested boards with the longer sidecut so its just a matter of putting it in a different configuration of a 170 Angrry.

Had an equipment failure while riding it though. It was railing real nice as I could lean as hard on it as I wanted to so I actually wore out the string on my leash from the bale scraping the real hard snow we were riding. After the day I noticed the frayed ends of the leash just hanging there:biggthump

That thing is a great leg workout

BV

Anymore testing get done on this thing? Whats the word B?

Thank you Bruce for letting us demo those prototypes. I sent my full demo report to JFarr and he'll forward it to ya.

On Thursday the snow was almost HERO at Kirkwood and perfect for testing.

The Angrry is alot of board for a 160! Held the edge through hard turns on fairly steep 34 to 36 degree slopes(Upper Zachery and Sentinel Bowl). This thing wants to be ridden hard. Fastest edge to edge board I've ridden. Load up the tail and it'll give you a swift kick coming out of a turn--almost bucked me. You like slalom or some crazy mini radius turns, this board will do it. Me, my legs are so fried I couldn't even think of boarding today.

Thank you Bruce for letting us demo those prototypes. I sent my full demo report to JFarr and he'll forward it to ya.

On Thursday the snow was almost HERO at Kirkwood and perfect for testing.

The Angrry is alot of board for a 160! Held the edge through hard turns on fairly steep 34 to 36 degree slopes(Upper Zachery and Sentinel Bowl). This thing wants to be ridden hard. Fastest edge to edge board I've ridden. Load up the tail and it'll give you a swift kick coming out of a turn--almost bucked me. You like slalom or some crazy mini radius turns, this board will do it. Me, my legs are so fried I couldn't even think of boarding today.

Okay Jeff, your review was forwarded to Bruce last night. And thanks for swapping the 160 Angrry for my 168 FSR demo. No way was I interested in riding a 160 with a 9.5m scr.

168 FSR: I rode this board after riding my favorite 177 Coiler AM T for 4 runs on steeps with pretty hard conditions. I paid when I put too much pressure with my gloves. Initiating carves on the 168 was a bit faster and lighter. Edge-to-edge seemed to be faster and had maybe 20% better hold but was much easier to release into the next carve in uneven conditions. What really stood out was how easily I could draw out or tighten up at mid-carve. Deep carving at slow speeds was even more predictable on blue runs thanks to the squared decambered nose. I was sure the 168 was my next board.

160 Angrry: Angrry was just a filler demo before an afternoon lesson. I wasn't expecting such a wild ride. No more using half the run. My carves doubled but so did the reward. I could see the nose lift a few inches off the run during most transitions before finally drawing out a long line to the side to wait for other carvers. Edgehold was perfect on short or drawnout carves. It really was that dramatic. It seemed like tearing up the run more than carving it up. Crossing-under was fast and push-pull worked on the drawn out carves. That is a must-have for me. I'm still smiling. :D

177 FSR: Only one run on that board in afternoon mashed potatoes. I think I was too light for that one to appreciate it. Or maybe Angrry wore me out.

Sorry that I couldn't be more technical. Just my nature.

Big Thanks Bruce :biggthump

Sorry VSR right... not FSR.? I didn't miss anything did I?

When you say " I was sure the 168 was my next board" are saying the Angrry made you think twice about that?

Ohh man am I stoked about this board. Have any of the testers ridden an original 58 Madd or a newer version of the 58 and have a comparisson comment?

The original 58 is one of my personal favorites in the past 5 years of being a board whore. I'm dyin to have a Coiler version!

Anyone else who tries the 168 or the Angy I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks.

K

Sorry VSR right... not FSR.? I didn't miss anything did I?

When you say " I was sure the 168 was my next board" are saying the Angrry made you think twice about that?

Ohh man am I stoked about this board. Have any of the testers ridden an original 58 Madd or a newer version of the 58 and have a comparisson comment?

The original 58 is one of my personal favorites in the past 5 years of being a board whore. I'm dyin to have a Coiler version!

Anyone else who tries the 168 or the Angy I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks.

K

Oops, VSR instead of FSR. Sorry, the smallest scr for me was a Donek 163 FC II. I did have the chance to ride the latest Madd 158 last season, but decided that it was a waste of time. I even asked for a 14m scr on my 177 AM T, but after two steep runs on the 160 Angrry I have changed my mind. That 168 VSR order will have to wait. Ya never know.

Have any of the testers ridden an original 58 Madd or a newer version of the 58 and have a comparisson comment?

Give me a few weeks and I should have a good back-to-back review against the original for you. :biggthump