Note to New Members ×

Re-Visiting Legendary Snowboard Graphics

Umm, b0ardski? The K2 TX was a monoski. We're talking about snowboards, yes?

Ha... actually the Hot Logical I was thinking of doesn't seem so hot anymore...

logical.jpg

Oh the memories of this board. It still looks hot today. Back when this thing was out it was the "virus" of it's day. Hot, sexy, European and a bit of a different ride than anything you bought in the USA. I loved the logicals, I had three, maybe the best asym I ever rode (even though they were a PITA in a straight line due to the shifted camber).

Ha... actually the Hot Logical I was thinking of doesn't seem so hot anymore...

logical.jpg

I have allot of respect for the early Hot "Logical" , however, I was wondering about the graphics, they were sub-dued to say the least. Keeping in mind the tail of the board pictured has additional graphics added I believe. Not original topsheet graphics. Jacoby's graphics were even simpler on his race stock Hots. Sometimes simple is good though.

Lots of good ideas.

the gnu antigravity was my first board, so i'm nostalgically fond of the graphic. the neon pink raceroom was especially rad. i'd totally rip that one off.

Now you are talking!! Surprised it hasn't been done? GNU= LIB-Tech.

Note: the top photo was taken at Mt Hood if I recall correctly. Mike Olson is definitely a guy that is not afraid to experiment with technology or style. One "Wild and Crazy Guy!!"

Plus, "Covering" the masters of "Covering" other board builders would be ideal.

Plus, they built a few long carving boards back in the day , 213cm or 207cm if I remember correctly. Some with a DH nose cut-out!! So, "Covering" an early race longboard with early graphics and shape, northwest origin, updated, would be very cool!!

I have allot of respect for the early Hot "Logical" , however, I was wondering about the graphics, they were sub-dued to say the least. Keeping in mind the tail of the board pictured has additional graphics added I believe.

Yeah, those look like stickers on the tail. The "original" (afaik) graphics were just the gray background, the pastel blocks, and the lettering.

I coveted the Logical as well, it was the first board I'd ever heard of that was supposed to be better than a Burton... :eek:

This thread is making me sad for the days when Alpine was cool and every mfr was in the game. (Actually I think we're staging a coolness comeback... see Gecko's sig)

Here's a couple suggestions...

Look Overspeed

Sims Ulltimate 1700 (for that next split tail Tinkler!)

Is it just the way the picture is taken, or is the toeside of that Look about 15cm shorter than the heelside?? Looks like the nose contact point on toeside is further down the board than on heelside!

And OMG, I used to love those Sims graphics. That probably makes me gay. Dang.

I tried the 160 symetric predicessor to that look in '88, carved like a demon. It was solid purple with the same planet graphic. I chose the TX for my 1st metal edged purchase because it was wider, longer & therefor more versital i.e. kicked a$$ off piste:1luvu:

I can see it's asym from the pic, probably the least sidecut offset of any asym I've ever seen. The look that I rode in '88 was very similar in size and shape to the overspeed, but was out a couple of years before the asyms.

It would be very interesting to see a breakdown of the various offset angles on the different brands of asym shapes. I am sure that burton had by far the most variations in sidecut shift, taper, and radius.

Looks like the overspeed also has deeper heelside radius than toeside.

Lots of great ideas and input!!

I love the graphics on the Nitro Epic (that entire seasons lineup was very classy) Hard to see the depth in the photo, but very rich.

Couple thoughts.

To be an effect "Sample"

It needs to be easily recognizable even though it is obviously a new board?

I.E - Burton Alp with the woodgrain topsheet, timeless, stylish, however, even with the detail stripe most would not recongnise it specifically as a Burton Alp Sample.

Should it be a combination of elements or stickly adhering to one model board?

Yes, I still like the Sims Graphics. I am surprised someone has not used the Sims naming series. It still works for me anyway?

Blade, Switchblade, Pocketknife, Ultimate, etc.

Add to that theme, Machete, Sword (oops), Dagger, Knife, Bayonete, etc

PS, some very nice collections out there!

The ID 185 is just decoration; a factory reject I picked up at a yardsale, sidewall & resin under topsheet issues. always wanted one but never got the chance when they being built.

I've got 2 173 twintips 1 extra glass, 1 carbon rods the carbon is way more versatile but I cracked the core spinning off a stump:mad:

2441267681_df948c59dd.jpg

Just checked the 185, can't find extra plate inserts under the topsheet.

Is it just the way the picture is taken, or is the toeside of that Look about 15cm shorter than the heelside?? Looks like the nose contact point on toeside is further down the board than on heelside!

Here's some close up pics and a base shot. I think the contact points on the nose are about the same, only the shovel is asym shaped. It is rather unique. I'm very curious about how it rides. I remember the similarly low contoured shovels on the Nitro EFTs would spit snow so hard my shins would ache by the end of the day.

post-8139-141842280859_thumb.jpg

post-8139-14184228086_thumb.jpg

post-8139-141842280862_thumb.jpg

the gnu antigravity was my first board, so i'm nostalgically fond of the graphic. the neon pink raceroom was especially rad. i'd totally rip that one off.

OlsonGNU.jpg

HPIM2118.jpg

I had that Burton Air (red lettering on purple) in the prototype version (purple lettering on teal). I snapped it and thought I made a steal selling it for a hundred bucks. They only made 15 of those and the owner now (even though it's unrideable) has a piece of history.

I also had that exact Burton Performer (stripped out the certs and sold) and the big brother to the Sims switch blade you have there. I had the 171 Blade. Did my first 360 airs on that board. I also had one of few G&S Mark Ranquet (sp?) boards. It really sucked, but the graphics were cool and it was a Gordon & Smith and at the time if you could find one you got "cool points" for even having it. Edit: I should also mention I'm in Ohio, so that board, at that time... Yeah, gnarly.

• 1 month later...
Here's some close up pics and a base shot. I think the contact points on the nose are about the same, only the shovel is asym shaped. It is rather unique. I'm very curious about how it rides. I remember the similarly low contoured shovels on the Nitro EFTs would spit snow so hard my shins would ache by the end of the day.

I did one race on that board in Big Bear - right before I moved to tahoe. It rode like crap on the toeside. Jack - your eyes are probably correct - I think the toe edge was a bit shorter - I know it didn't hold very well. Got a Lib Inner-Course later that year and actually kept up with the compoetition.