Note to New Members ×

Black Pearl questions

WinterGold

I have been looking for some infos on these boards, but couldn´t find much so far. I guess that not too many people have already been on some Black Pearl decks, but maybe some of you have some insider information.

Here are the specs of the 4 current race models:

Race models 08/09

model...type..............length.......tail........waist..........nose

GSH.....Men´s GS.......1850mm....233mm..200mm.......284mm

GSD.....Women´s GS...1720mm.... - ........190mm......... - ....

SLH......Men´s SL........1610mm...250mm..200mm.......265mm

SLD......Women´s SL...1500mm....247mm..190mm.......259mm

Some questions:

Is the nose of the 185 model really 284mm wide? That´s huge! There are like 5cm of taper (just like my powder board ... :D).

Does this mean that the boards have a smaller radius than e.g. the SGs? (the GS model in the front and the SL model in the back???)

And something else ...

http://www.blackpearlsnowboard.ch/index.php?section=gallery&cid=5&pId=47

How much is the setback on these? It looks rather extreme ...

Ok, they just changed the specs on their website ... the nose of the 185 is 248mm ... that´s more like it :D

But still - no other information on these decks ... they might be the next big thing :eplus2: ...

The whole Black Pearl thing really confounds me. Why would the Schoch brothers fix what wasn't broken? Did they get an offer they couldn't refuse from some huge manufacturer? I can't imagine any mfr being able to simply jump in the game, go from 0 to 100 in one year and be competitive with Kessler. Unless they're made by the same people as SG I guess. Anyone know?

The boards look pretty badass, like the obelisk from the movie 2001. But I'll take a little more nose than that, thanks!

May be it was just an opportunity to stay in the sport they like. They start their own business for themselves now and have a change to make money after they retire from the WC. You can't start early enough with that. I am anxious to see what the next season will bring because they will also gonna produce other models (freecarve, custom).

well, I imagine that if they felt they had better ideas than mr kessler or that for some reason they were getting a raw deal or just that they wanted financial control or full developmental control it all makes perfect sense.

May be it was just an opportunity to stay in the sport they like. They start their own business for themselves now and have a change to make money after they retire from the WC. You can't start early enough with that. I am anxious to see what the next season will bring because they will also gonna produce other models (freecarve, custom).

They both had alot to do with bringing Kessler up to the top, but they didn't make a penny.

Just like Hans says brother gotta eat.

Jack why whould you like more nose then that? Should that nose not work as well as the one you would like?

What the heck happened to Tomahawk? Have they updated their shapes and production up to par with the SG, Kessler, Black Pearls etc.? I sent them a note the other day inquiring about prices but still haven't heard back. Are they even a competitor on the podium anymore?

Btw, I love these Black P's. They look hot.

Jack why whould you like more nose then that? Should that nose not work as well as the one you would like?

Obviously it works for racing, but I would be nervous riding that nose in any kind of crud or piles or bumps. That wide horizontal front edge just looks like it would stop dead if it hit something big enough. Fell agreed they're taking it a little far.

I think the Kessler and Coiler noses look a little more friendly.

sidebar_kessler.jpg

Good points.

The whole Black Pearl thing really confounds me. Why would the Schoch brothers fix what wasn't broken? Did they get an offer they couldn't refuse from some huge manufacturer? I can't imagine any mfr being able to simply jump in the game, go from 0 to 100 in one year and be competitive with Kessler. Unless they're made by the same people as SG I guess. Anyone know?

The boards look pretty badass, like the obelisk from the movie 2001. But I'll take a little more nose than that, thanks!

As far as I have read about it, the Schochs built up there own workshop together with Marc Iselin. On the technical side they got help from a Swiss ski constructor called Günther Wiesmann (he builds the Snowriders).

So I think this is a good mixture and as it seems also competitve with the best.

Any pics of the new t-hawk boards? Are they on par with the new school boards being constantly mentioned in this thread and others?

Is the board on the left a Coiler?

Sorry no pics. I rode one 179 PGS but it was built 20+kilos heavier than me and did not felt as good as my 182 NSR or 180 KST.

Yes, as i wrote, both are Coiler NSR's :1luvu:

Is it me or is there something interesting happening with the shape of the longest board towards the nose. It is probably just an optical illusion, but it looks to me like the SCR backs way off towards the nose and flattens out quite early, almost starting to go very slightly inverted right about where the black pearl logo is widest. Am I crazy or are they doing something different with the front of the board, beyond just reducing the shovel to its absolute minimum length?

Jack- Can you explain

That wide horizontal front edge just looks like it would stop dead if it hit something big enough.
to me?

Here's my most likely incorrect theory. They aren't squared off on the corners, so when you're carving, the radius (of the nose shape) would be the same as any other board, in fact, the NSR looks to have the same nose radius, just without stopping and turning into a hammerhead to that extent. If you were flat basing and hit anything, wouldn't it be more the radius of the upturn than the tip profile that dictated whether you cowboyed a bump or made an ass of yourself?

Nose of my 168 NSR is X3 type, thanks Shred :cool:.

I wanted something shorter and wider than NSR 182, not for track but for carved turns which will be easy to run on tighter places but still to give full benefits of NSR structure, so this is not build for racing :eek:

About nose and digging, dont look top shape only, it must be looked combined with that nice side rocker, that makes it work i softer snow too.

I just got board few days ago, so i can not tell much how it rides.

Today was first day on snow, unfortunately snow was challenging, more than ankle deep soft potato mushy. That combined to me almost no rides with boards shorter than 180 on last few years made some challenges :eek: plus i hate this kind soft spring smush snow.

But board went there surprising nicely and easily. Pure pleasure now and can not wait for extended Easter time with proper snow in Lapland at Suomu for 5-6 days to compare it with NSR 182

I had the pleasure of testing the 168 on rock hard corduroy. Never experienced my gloves heating up from the corduroy before so it must have been hard!

That is the "poppiest " metal board I have produced. It is full carbon and the bit tighter sidecut in the tail put me in the air a couple times but in a somewhat friendly manner . The flex would surely make it not the ideal ride for mashed potatoes as the board is pretty short and nose is pretty supple for hard snow initiation. Unfortunately I had no other close boards to head to head and the conditions were so strange from what I normally ride it was tough to judge it but I had plenty of fun. The only other board tested that day was Shreds new 188 x 23 Monster so it was one extreme to the next. The name for that type of board will eventually be VSR FC, (variable sidecut radius freecarves).

Trying various nose shapes but IMO it won't make much noticeable performance difference.

What testing has shown on a few models so far is they have great stability and trust in the edgehold. You definitely can feel the different arcs you can ride through applying varied weighting and aggressiveness. Not for the timid riders as they do require good skills to maximize the potential and the higher grip is not desired for riders who still include a bit of sliding in their turns.

Building a few more this week for ongoing testing till it all melts away.

BV

Hey Bruce:

You got sucked in too?

Just send those down here as we still have over four (4) weeks of the white stuff and ye shall receive excellent feedback.:biggthump BTW how is your development budget these days? I will not ask about the research end of it.

Cheers

Bola

http://www.allboardssports.com

1-303-415-1600

Sucked into what?

BV