Note to New Members ×

Headed to the dark side

Bobby Buggs

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup

but why the hell are you going to ride a proto with softboots?

it's narrower than a swoard 175

the proto is like 22.5 wide or something like that.

if you wear a womens size 4 you may be able to make the board work with normal softboot angles.

I wear a size 11 mens and for me I prefer boards that are 26.5 to 27.5 any more or less and life really sucks.

what size is your foot?

Definitely try a duck and a "slightly forward" stance in addition to alpine angles. Softies just aren't designed for high angles IMHO. I am using 24/12 or so and it works quite well for me. I don't like duck myself, but don't knock it until you've tried it.

So after 10 plus seasons in Hard boots Im thinking its time to see what I can do on Softboots.

I have a 167 Nidecker Proto, Flow M11 bindings and Rossi Jeremy Jones Boa lace boots.

No Im not giving up my Coiler, so its not for sale:nono:

What can you tell me that I need to know

That's it Bugs, if you read the fine print on your user account registration you must be a Hardbooter in order to stay an active member. At any point in time you can be banned if you step on softboots and ride in a duck stance:lol:

Jack/Fin I think an bann is in order here:eplus2:

What did someone write, big pants,duck stance, No chance:o

As seen in my sig!

So skip the Proto???

I'll trade you a new Prior AMF 159 for that Proto. It should ride circles around that Rossi.

I have longer FR boards too, if you wish.

Bobby, I tried riding softies on my older, narrower Proto last year. Well, it worked...kind of. I mean, I could get down the hill and turn the board without killing myself. (This was at B-East :) ) But it wasn't an optimal setup for anything. Also tried softies on a wider F2 Speedcross. I wasn't too impressed with that either.

Go for a regular-width freeride or BX board and some stiffer bindings. Never liked Flows. Salmon (SPX) and Nidecker make widley available, stiff highbacks. Cateks are supposedly awesome too. BlueB's AMF would be a good board. Steepwaters are also pretty neat--11.25 scr's on their 164 Steeps and Plows. Very unusual for a freeride board.

BTW, why the change? Did you just get the itch? Or are you trying to unleash some new type of EVIL on poor, little Blandford? :eplus2:

PS- I have a pair of Nidecker Pro 800 bindings that I'd be willing to shoot your way for $20 if you find you don't like your Flows. They're one step below Nidecker's top-of-the-line 900 Carbon series. One ratchet has a bum spring, but other than that, they're in good shape. Would work great on the AMF.

They're just collecting dust in my basement right now...and will be for the foreseeable future. No rush. Let me know whenever. I'm right up the road from you.

BTW, why the change? Did you just get the itch? Or are you trying to unleash some new type of EVIL on poor, little Blandford? :eplus2:

Im not done with Alpine by any means. I just want to be more versatile, and to see what it will take to ride a soft boot to the point where I feel good about it. This weekend at Mt Snow would have been the prefect time to give it a go. Besides if Im riding with my soft boot son the Coiler is way to fast for him. No more Blanford:barf: I just can take it any more.

I hadn't been on softies for about 10 yrs and last set-up I rode was a lousy step-in, not Shimano, I think Rossi, so weak and so much play....I was dying for the days of my old Burton 3 strap hi-backs. But borrowed a friends K2 Ginsu 162, got some Burton Customs cheap w/ the cap straps and after about 3 runs, I was playing, free-riding and carving it up. I forgot how much fun you could have. I appreciated the ability to carve on a soft-board. Variety-It wouldn't be my all the time thing-that's why I ski so I can go everywhere, trees, glades, chutes. I do not enjoy that pucker feeling on an alpine board when you realize you've taken on more than will be fun and amusing. I enjoy, and appreciate the ability to switch instruments for the conditions-that's what softies represent to me. Kinda like reaching into the bag for a hybrid/utility club instead of a 3 iron or 5wood. Use what works

Ha! I'm going the other way and finally securing a dedicated, narrower carving board for next year.

FYI, you can also ride softer plates on some of these freeride boards. I rode Mt Snow the past few weeks with plates on both my Steepwater and my Dupraz. 45/37 angles. Very fun :biggthump in the slush. Priors are tough. They could handle it.

+1 on the duck stance - best learning curve for the transition from hard to soft boots.

I finally came back from the "dark side" this season after about ten years on softies (freeride, powder). For me, the most difficult part in switching from one equipment to another was to adjust technique to each and refrain from using HB technique on the soft setup and vice-versa. All this became blurred because I went back to HB to learn EC technique, which involved focusing on rotation, lowering angles, etc, which was not my riding technique back in the days when I rode HB (I think it was just when riders started to not tuck their rear knee in the front and use outward canting).

So I figure that riding a duck stance will probably be a radical shift, but helpful because such a pitch will definitely prevent you from trying to ride with the wrong technique.

Also, as it has been said before on the forum, switching from on setup to another will definitely improve your abilities as a rider, so, in this sense, "welcome to the Dark Side".

Just in case, I also have freeride boards wider than your proto for sale here. (I may be interested in a trade also).