Note to New Members ×

Hey go custom yourself.

Bordy

Just a side note as observing the amount of “custom” board questions. I want to make one statement. And race board questions.

There is a whole “new school” board shape out there. Unless you have ridden this style of board that so many of use have been arguing over trying to bring others into the know about for years……………..

You’re really screwing yourselves riding all the old school crap. And the worst part is so many of you are building the same crappy shapes with metal and then claiming you know what’s up with metal boards….. But it just a crappy old school shape……

STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!

Your nidecker from 07 doesn’t rip, The used Thorndike donek you bought on BOL classifieds sucks, the F2 you love so much is not really that good, your "freecarve stick" useless......

New School metal sticks are the current progression of the sport. They truly are what shape skis where for the ski biz.

If your riding a wood board it is obsolete the shape has been out dated the construction replaced, the radius updated also. I am sorry my friends but the wood alpine board is the straight ski!

I am not saying there are not some fun wood rides that crush it, but there are much better items out there. I am not talking a little better and you need to be a racer to tell,

I MEAN AMIZINGLY DIFFERENT CHANGE THE WAY YOU RIDE GOOD!!

Argghhhhh Progress or get left behind…………..

Wow Kessler copys are cool .........never saw that coming:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:eek:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Bordy, I'm definitely not trying to start a flame war (I've seen a few of those and I'll concede defeat right now), but I'm trying to reconcile this (from Jack's "game changer" thread):

You have finally riden a PGS stick that is "new school" the same shape sevaral of us have been pimping as the best snowboard shape and ride to date for years, I think the NSR ride is different then the Kessler, Prior, feel they have more Pop. But has some of the characteristics of the SG, Shape I under stand the Black Pearls are very damp also. I think the tail on the NSR is different then other PGS boards not better or worse just different.

(emphasis added)

with this:

"“Holy ****, this is the best board ever” I said after only one run on the 09 Prior metal 187!"

Isn't the 09 prior wcr shape essentially the same as their prior (no pun intended) metal offerings but glass-topped?

Maybe I'm just confused, but it's my understanding that the 09 prior metal wouldn't fall into the "new school" category and it was the best board ever just nine months ago but now you say that you've been saying that the Kessler shape is the winner for years.

I'm going to buy a new board this year and I'm really trying to gain an understanding for what shape/sidecut/width is the best, but the more advice I read the confuseder I get.

Thanks for the rant "bordy boy". But sometimes its the "nut behind the wheel" more then the vehicle itself. So yes my Nidecker "rips" with me on it and I am sure that applies to all the other riders your busting on as well. So until you see us struggling on the slopes don't try to tell us how you think we ride-understand. Any quality input on custom boards is welcome.

Rant was pretty spot on. You are asking a question that is posed at least once a week here.

Do a search and all your custom questions will be answered.

The new shapes are way better then the old shapes. And metal does make a differance. Even Donek, who a few seasons ago was saying "it's all about the design before the materials" is now making metal board and the feedback on them is great.

I agree with the intent of Bordy's post but with the exception that simple single-radius sidecuts still serve a purpose. Otherwise yes, if your quiver does not include a metal board with a decambered nose, then you're not current with where this sport is headed.

However like the car analogy I made in the Game Changer thread, one can still have a ripping good time on high quality "old school" gear. For example, last year I bought a used 2003 BMW 330xi (cheaper than you might think). Now, am I missing out because it's not a 2009 M3? Maybe, but I wouldn't know because it's the best car I've ever driven and it puts a huge s-eating grin on my face every time I start it up. Oh by the way, my Madd 180 is for sale. :ices_ange

Bordy, with all due respect, I agree with much of what you're saying but not all of it.

My background is pretty simple: serious recreational carver. I get 50+ days / 1M vertical feet+ on hill each season, how much of that is hardboots versus soft depends on the weather. You and I have something in common: we love to try out gear!

Yes, I will agree that titanal has been a game changer. Yes, I will agree that new school race shapes have been a game changer. But I will not for a second agree that "old school" radial sidecuts are dead.

Click through to my profile - I have 5 metal carving boards. The only non-metal carver left in my quiver is an old, almost-dead original Madd 158, which I have no qualms about using in early season conditions :D One of the metals is an NSR, one is another variable sidecut shape (Monster), and the other 3 are radial sidecuts.

Favorite board? Coiler Classic 177, radial 14.2 sidecut. Why? Because, except on snow that is soft enough where most people wouldn't even attempt to carve it, I feel like frigging Superman on that board! Now, the Monster and NSR are a close 2nd and 3rd with the AM and Schtubby a distant 4th and 5th. The flex on that Classic is just so dialed to me that I can do no wrong on it. When I have my A-game I have the best runs of my life on it, when I don't have my A-game, I still manage to look better than I feel on it. On a few days I have switched back and forth between it and my NSR, and while the NSR is clearly better for going blazing fast, I feel like a better rider on my Classic (and look better, I am told by a few folks who would know)

Isn't it possible that some of what has been learned during the progression to "new school" shapes can be used to enhance the radial sidecut shapes? After all this 177 that I speak of is night and day different from all the old glass boards I have ridden - not to mention other radial-scr shaped metal boards I have ridden, Coilers Priors and Doneks. Yeah, it has some decamber in the nose, yeah I think it's got 6mm ish of taper.

In the end I think that for the serious recreational carver a well-dialed flex is the most important thing. I think that for the serious recreational carver, shape is secondary.

In the interest of full disclosure I got in line for yet another new Coiler yesterday... and it will be a variable sidecut shape. I know Bruce is working on bringing new-school sidecuts to shorter boards, and I have the good fortune of liking the same boards that Bruce likes... so who knows, that beloved Classic may get replaced by something that is has a new school sidecut that I like even better. Or not... I might just get another Monster. Bruce and I were both enjoying the Monster 188 immensely at OES, mwhich was more like "Oregon Freshie Session", and thinking "if only it had a swallowtail..." :D

Before you read what I've got to say, I have ridden a metal prior 187 (last gen before internal topsheet), and I liked it. Can the best world cup rider win on a glass board against their metal mounted peers? Absolutely not! But there are mitigating factors that non-racers are bound by........

There is no question that our sport is an equipment driven sport. A metal board will make it easier to carve in all conditions and "pull off" stunts that you would think twice about trying on a traditional board.

The punchline............ If you ride poorly and have bad habits, a metal board will make your bad riding easier to do in a variety of conditions.

My point is that making good low turns and looking good while you do it has more to do with the skill of the rider than the equipment under his feet. It is true however that a metal board makes this more possible in very adverse snow conditions. I just got the feeling reading your post that you're a little bit too dismissive of riding talent and overly focused on equipment.

Bordy, I take what you say with a grain of salt because you are in the business of selling equipment to make a living and I respect your efforts to make gear more available to people who are looking to get into hardbooting.

Is a metal board in my future.....yes, but probably not as soon as you would like.

later,

Dave R.

HEY TEX, same as you, I won't be "riding" ummm, I mean "sliding on snow" anything much over 195mm either. Sorry I guess I can't really say that without sounding dirty I guess.

195mm.jpg

I realize part of the "New School" style in alpine is a assumed preference for shallower stance angles and thus wider boards...

But are there any board designers out there making blended sidecuts with new school construction/camber boards that have waist widths sub 190mm? For those of us who prefer high angles and narrower boards yet want some of the technological advantages that 2010 brings alpine snowboards?

Let's put it in this context: how much can a newbie get out of these new designs? I feel like the people who will benefit the most already know what they're doing and they're not flopping around and figuring out the right technique.

I realize part of the "New School" style in alpine is a assumed preference for shallower stance angles and thus wider boards...

But are there any board designers out there making blended sidecuts with new school construction/camber boards that have waist widths sub 190mm? For those of us who prefer high angles and narrower boards yet want some of the technological advantages that 2010 brings alpine snowboards?

I dont think it has the sidecut funkiness but it has the nose - bruce made me a X2 schtubby with a 19 waist (he talked me out of 18)