Note to New Members ×

Yet another new Schtubby.....

Speedzilla

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one has the same specs as Jack's board. Approx. 171cm / 21cm waist / 14 SCR

Nice, I am really enjoying mine. Very glad I went 14m and 21cm. Wouldn't want it any different. 21cm gets me under 60 degrees and floats me in cut-up pow; 14m handles the speed on the steeper stuff and is more stable in general.

Sweet graphics.

So I've been wondering. Given this "schtubby" design is new to me (kinda). Why and what is it trying to accomplish? I've search for this here but can't find a conclusive answer.

They are interesting boards visually...that is for sure.

Speedzilla,

Cool graphics, love the liquid smoke.

I've got the same board. It took me 3 days to figure out if I will like it, all the snow we've gotten this year in the East had me out in pow and soft conditions every time I rode:angryfire

I now have 15 or so days on it and I'm blown away by the board. I'm selling boards because my Schtubby can now be used in a wider variety of conditions and trails. It is one of the most stable boards I've ever ridden, it's confidence inspiring. I was able to match turns of a 9m radius board for about 4 turns. I can ride steeps with it, ice was that just ice I carved ova? I didn't even notice:lol:Pow, crude it does it all.

I have a complete quiver from a 158 all the way up to a 195, with side cuts from 9m all the way up to 16m. I've only ridden my 158 for 4 runs everything else has been on my Schtubby. I was very skeptical of a 21cm waist and it took me some time to get use to it.

I ended up getting custom foot-beds from Erik Beckmann and it was the best thing I've done for my riding. Edge to edge transition is effortless and can now be done with minimal work.

This is the board that can do it all.

So I've been wondering. Given this "schtubby" design is new to me (kinda). Why and what is it trying to accomplish? I've search for this here but can't find a conclusive answer.

They are interesting boards visually...that is for sure.

The original concept (from Shred Gruumer) was a short board with a long sidecut. Time was you couldn't get a 15m sidecut on anything shorter than 185...then shred had a beer-induced vision and came up with the revolution that's sweeping the nation.

The original concept (from Shred Gruumer) was a short board with a long sidecut. Time was you couldn't get a 15m sidecut on anything shorter than 185...then shred had a beer-induced vision and came up with the revolution that's sweeping the nation.

This I remember from years ago (I've been around here since 1999 or so, though was away for a while and had resign-up my account). I didn't know that was the inspiration though.

But what is the shorter overall board with the uber sidecut doing for you? The shorter board is allowing for more movement and ability to chuck around while the longer sidecut bites and runs long? Sounds as if that helps run through crud (as I've seen many praising these board for just that) Effectively giving a short board that rides much much longer?

That sounds familier... like a Original Madd 158? Just updated for this century?

You'd have to talk to the man about his thinking - all I know is the X2 (which is the basic shape that everyone is currently raving about) is the best all-around carver I've been on. The original Madd is a close second...but you just can't find 'em - but shred & Bruce have designed the X4 which is supposedly a similar feel to the original madd 158

You'd have to talk to the man about his thinking - all I know is the X2 (which is the basic shape that everyone is currently raving about) is the best all-around carver I've been on. The original Madd is a close second...but you just can't find 'em - but shred & Bruce have designed the X4 which is supposedly a similar feel to the original madd 158

I'd be curious to demo this X4 then.

A original Madd 158 has been my primary ride for 5 years now. I'm looking to replace it next season (well not totally replace but replace for everyday riding).

Right now, the replacement I'm looking at, couldn't be further from the "schtubby" idea... but I'm curious.

Speedzilla,

Cool graphics, love the liquid smoke.

I've got the same board. It took me 3 days to figure out if I will like it, all the snow we've gotten this year in the East had me out in pow and soft conditions every time I rode:angryfire

I now have 15 or so days on it and I'm blown away by the board. I'm selling boards because my Schtubby can now be used in a wider variety of conditions and trails. It is one of the most stable boards I've ever ridden, it's confidence inspiring. I was able to match turns of a 9m radius board for about 4 turns. I can ride steeps with it, ice was that just ice I carved ova? I didn't even notice:lol:Pow, crude it does it all.

I have a complete quiver from a 158 all the way up to a 195, with side cuts from 9m all the way up to 16m. I've only ridden my 158 for 4 runs everything else has been on my Schtubby. I was very skeptical of a 21cm waist and it took me some time to get use to it.

I ended up getting custom foot-beds from Erik Beckmann and it was the best thing I've done for my riding. Edge to edge transition is effortless and can now be done with minimal work.

This is the board that can do it all.

Thanks for that input Geoff, I hope to give it a go in a few days.

Let me know when you do, we can compare it to the X5....:eplus2:

Very nice!

I might develop a 24 hour illness on Thursday or Friday, depending on the weather. I'm going to go skiing with my son in the morning, take him to school and come back to the hill to ride in the afternoon.

I'd be curious to demo this X4 then.

A original Madd 158 has been my primary ride for 5 years now. I'm looking to replace it next season (well not totally replace but replace for everyday riding).

Right now, the replacement I'm looking at, couldn't be further from the "schtubby" idea... but I'm curious.

ACE! is the place for the helpful X4 hardware store!!!:biggthump

This I remember from years ago (I've been around here since 1999 or so, though was away for a while and had resign-up my account). I didn't know that was the inspiration though.

But what is the shorter overall board with the uber sidecut doing for you? The shorter board is allowing for more movement and ability to chuck around while the longer sidecut bites and runs long? Sounds as if that helps run through crud (as I've seen many praising these board for just that) Effectively giving a short board that rides much much longer?

That sounds familier... like a Original Madd 158? Just updated for this century?

The purpose was several things... one a shorter board can handle crowds on cat tracks at slower speed.

But then what do you do when you get up to speed and beyond a normal 161..speed limit.. and go over the handle bars because your tossed into a turn beyond the speed limit.. so make a short board that is very stable at high speeds.. no need to drive the nose or tail... just relax on a 14.7m sidecut..

A longer sidecut feels more sure footed on higher speeds .

Also its metal.. so then you have an ultra short board very smooth and just cruising..

It very deceiving though... you go down steep stuff an you want to turn or you think its going to turn like a short board...then it just wants to go fast.. weird feeling but you get used to how fun it really is..

Fun and Easy became the insperation for the Schtubby.. Took the best of a long board and a short board and put them together and you get the X2..

Hope I explained that right.. there are only 2 original X1's schtubbys and are fun as hell !!

I think Mike T has the bit longer one at 164...

RSS