Note to New Members ×

Yet another new Schtubby.....

Speedzilla

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First I ever saw anything like it was on a Swoard.

BV

That's why I first bought a Swoard back whenever they first came out - short and maneuverable, really long effective edge for the length, large sidecut for the length, soft flex. The Coiler Stubby you made me seems like the natural evolution of that idea!

Once the metal came out and started to get more refined I knew the short board long sidecut was the place where it would really work well. One main thing about these designs and not really easily seen is the flex pattern is somewhat different from traditional stuff. It is a bit softer in the mid and rear with a bit more meat left up front to prevent stuffing the nose at the higher speeds. This makes the boards quite safe compared to older flex patterns and while at OES, rode and saw other ride them with great success in really adverse conditions. The AMs, Stubs and Monsters all utilize this theory and all work very well in almost any type of snow. They get pop from riding them centered and getting the board to bend farther beyond what a glass board would bend then rebounding from that. If you lean too far back , the boards will not pop off the tail which IMO is a very good thing. Its fun if it pops when you want to do it but many occasions you can get launched when not wanting to.

When you are centered and on the board, it has good energy but if you are off a bit it does not punish you too readily.

Also not much pop when leaning forwards with a slightly stiffer nose = no launching over the bars.

So nose shape etc is all very noticeable but does not really indicate what a board does in the grand scheme of things. The flex pattern and flex type really are the big difference in those boards. I try to match the boards carbon/glass percentage to the end use in all of those as they all are unique due to length, sidecut.

More interesting stuff still to come;)

First I ever saw anything like it was on a Swoard.

BV

Though a Swoard has a whole different purpose, no?

Just thought I would compare them since I have one of each.

(Disclaimer: I've never owned a narrower board except for the F2 Roadster I began on, I don't bomb the hill and prefer wide GS turns and EC on steep slopes, I don't race, I ride decently but not an expert by any mean). I'm a midget at about 130lbs.

Both boards are very similar in specs, the difference is the magic that happens inside which is well...magic.

Stub (or something of the sort): 165cm, 150cm effective, 21.5cm, 13.2m radius, soften up for my weight, twintip

Swoard 161M: 161cm, 141cm effective, 21cm, 12m radius, medium flex

Compared head to head in Tahoe 2 weeks ago in hero snow from green choppy runs to perfectly groomed black pitch, and also this week in Ontario frozen over rain soaked man made hard pack.

Common ground: amazing edge holds on any type of snow, whether routine turns or high angle EC. Very lively in their own way (more later). Very easy to ride, meaning very versatile. Both wide so edge to edge at low speed or by leaning over with ankles are not super fast, on the other hand with push/pull esp. if done dynamically on the pull, edge changes are not a concern.

Finish is great on both (1st Gen Swoard had its initial problem now resolved).

Price definitely worth it, esp. compared to what you spend on boots, goggles and jackets.

Differences:

-EC: the Swoard is very dynamic in the turn, you can really modulate what you are doing while at high angle (I think that's what you are seeing in the video on slow motion), definitely not a bad thing. Makes for a very lively EC while not skidding. Combined with BTS it's a great feel. The stub is like on rail once you set it up, not a bad thing either, just different, feels less lively at high angle because of that, but then you have more the sensation of floating above the snow.

The difference probably lay on how Swoard works hard on the torsion with their carbon matrix, whereas Stub is just plain stiff torsionally. In comparison my old F2 roadster and Wild Duck were like noodles at high angles.

-on perfectly groom steep snow: Swoard for the liveliness yet very versatile and easy to ride.

-on perfectly groom blue or green: flip a coin

-on bumpy afternoon Tahoe snow: the Coiler ride is very damp and quiet and a lot more secure.

-on hard pack/ice: either, depending on how choppy, edge hold is great for both.

-fakie: twintip for safety, although the radius is a little long on both of these anyway.

Probably because of the stiffer Coiler, it's a lot more of a work out. Great in short Ontario runs. I had to stop at high altitude in Tahoe and huff and puff (Bruce would not even perspire in those conditions, I think there is more than just weight but also how large your quads are when choosing a flex, and Bruce thinks I'm stronger than I really am).

Overall, I'm super happy with both. Very different rides for almost the same specs. The flex and torsion pattern inside is what makes it.

By the way, this is a personal and constructive comparison as a service to those wanting to know one person's opinion. This is not intended for any flamme war of Swoard vs Coiler or anything of the sort.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice graphic!

I just got my 173 13m 21cm wide Stubby yesterday, and rode it at our Session Quebec du Sud at Mont Habitant, Quebec.

Fantastic!! What a board. It is exactly the high-performance all-round freecarve board that I was looking for. It really does handle exceptionally in a wide range of conditions. We had frozen slush cord in the morning that changed to deep slush by afternoon. I was super-comfy on all of it! Nothing quite like being able to do stand-up euro-style carves on the hard stuff...very good edge hold.

Bruce rules!

:biggthump :biggthump

Thanks. Do you use them in all conditions(except in deep pow) or are they more for early a.m. groomers? Also what are the waist dimensions? Thanks for your feedback.:biggthump

I use my 182 all except pow, it is my current AM booard :1luvu:

168 is very new for my wife so she is getting familiar with it but she loves that board already.