Note to New Members ×

Speed board?

Ray(ottawa)

The lift attendants at my area keep referring to what I ride as a "speed board". I smile and nod my head. If such a thing were to exist, is there some combination of length, width, shape, surface area, etc., that would make one board faster than another and would actually have more importance than wax, base material and preparation?

Wouldn't it be much the same as speed skis - long, damp as hell, stiff, no sidecut to speak of, low tip profile? I also speculate a big base bevel.

Burton made that once. Andy Coghlan's Safari 210s were just that. Not to mention they weighed as much as a Cadillac which helped to "go fast".

...at least they don't think it's a monoski. :D

Really, though, boards with hard boots are better suited to handle high speed, so maybe we're all riding speed boards. You're in Ottawa, eh? Maybe it's 'cause the lifties saw me riding! :eplus2:

Cheers

The volkl that set the speed record was that (with air slots cut out of the nose to reduce drag)

I think the holes were cut out of the nose not to reduce drag but to keep the tip down on the snow. Going that fast on a snowboard I would think the the ram air effect would tend to lift the nose of the board reducing your running surface, thereby, reducing speed.

why would reducing your "running surface" reduce your speed?

I think it's just the higher the nose the larger a profile you are showing to the wind, thereby increasing wind resistance. If your board is 19cm wide and the nose lifts up 1cm, you've increased your profile by ~19 square centimeters. Also, by drilling holes in the right place on the nose, you're also probably also decreasing your profile slightly as well as probably doing something to reduce turbulence (dimples on a golf ball?) or some crap like that.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, btw.

You have to do a bit of investigating, but if you click on the big tall alpine board in the top rack you get a picture of a speed record being broken. also clicking on the airplane looking thing above the fooseball table gives you a picture of insanity.

i think it's basically be a short narrow board, with a longer side cut;

when i "race" my friends on 145-155 park board, then usually will win, and i think it's because they have a lower surface area. by race i mean, we bomb down the hill in a straigh line... it's really cool :rolleyes:

edit: by the way most of the liftys where i ride, just take a long stair at my board and say "thats a different kinda snowboard ant it?"

... I just reallized how funny that way lol

I also get "hard board". Then I explain that it's the boots that are hard, not the board.

I love little kid's reactions. They all think the setup is super cool. That lasts until they are about 13. Then they think the setup is super lame. Then when they are 35, they think it's super cool again. Mostly because they are sick of nutting themselves on the rails in the terrain park.

I think the holes were cut out of the nose not to reduce drag but to keep the tip down on the snow. Going that fast on a snowboard I would think the the ram air effect would tend to lift the nose of the board reducing your running surface, thereby, reducing speed.
Anyone remember Dynasart Omoflow skis?

These were the first pair of new skis I ever had. They had a hole in the tip with a plastic piece over it that directed air on to the topsheet for better snow contact. As if the skis were capable of speeds of 20mph or more. lol It was the perfect solution for their piece of **** foam core construction!! I snapped the tail off of one of them skiing bumps.

I think they came out around the mid-1980s. Not much good ever came out of the 80s except for maybe Reaganomics. lol

I also get "hard board". Then I explain that it's the boots that are hard, not the board.

I love little kid's reactions. They all think the setup is super cool.

I get this too!! I think it's hysterical!! Little tykes just go ape**** over alpine equipment. I have a red donek with the metallic topsheet, that I used to ride with silver-mylar military issue firefighters pants and I think they thought I was some kind of superhero.

Anyone remember Dynasart Omoflow skis?

These were the first pair of new skis I ever had. They had a hole in the tip with a plastic piece over it that directed air on to the topsheet for better snow contact. As if the skis were capable of speeds of 20mph or more. lol It was the perfect solution for their piece of **** foam core construction!! I snapped the tail off of one of them skiing bumps.

I think they came out around the mid-1980s. Not much good ever came out of the 80s except for maybe Reaganomics. lol

This years world cup Fisher (I think...somthing that starts with F) have holes on their longer GS and SG skiis.

The lift attendants at my area keep referring to what I ride as a "speed board". I smile and nod my head. If such a thing were to exist, is there some combination of length, width, shape, surface area, etc., that would make one board faster than another and would actually have more importance than wax, base material and preparation?

IMHO, if the lift attendants keeps asking you, you should try to promote the sport and tell him what you're riding really is and how he can learn about it. You can tell him what it can really do besides speed. I'm all about promoting the sport the best you can.

I hope I don't get flamed for this, The rest of the post have gone to technical board specs. If you're talking to a lift attendant or a random person in line you don't got the time to explain it to convince them enough to convert. Keep it short and simple to promote the sport, you only got a couple seconds sometime to promote the sport most of the time. Sometimes the bes tyou can do it point them in the right direction to do the research to get interested