Note to New Members ×

RIFs

GeoffV

Good luck everyone! Every day that you get to go to work is a blessing right now. I know that I am definitely trying to go above and beyond at the new job. Scary when a month after I start they lay off 30 people in the field, so far, none in the office.

For those with the money please keep spending or building!!

My son has survived two layoffs in the last 6 months, but another is in the near future. My daughter was laid off a week before Christmas. I would hate to be looking for a job right now -- can you imagine - a 62 yr old guy asking for work in engineering right now? Not chance in hell I would have - companies do not like older than 50 in tough times. These are tough times - and getting worse. I hate see what summer will bring for some of our Americans.

My son has survived two layoffs in the last 6 months, but another is in the near future. My daughter was laid off a week before Christmas. I would hate to be looking for a job right now -- can you imagine - a 62 yr old guy asking for work in engineering right now? Not chance in hell I would have - companies do not like older than 50 in tough times. These are tough times - and getting worse. I hate see what summer will bring for some of our Americans.

As I said before, I'm sure we are going to see "not hiring" signs going up in fast food places and grocery stores. Eventually the number of people asking for application forms becomes a real nuisance and then you start seeing the signs.

A bad sign is if your company starts bidding or selling at below cost. This generally means that they have loans to service and need income, even if it means taking a loss. Then it's only a matter of time before it all folds up.

BobD

I work in Maple Grove Minnesota.

We have been looking for one of the below all year, but can't find anyone not represented by a head hunter:

Major Job Responsibilities

Design, develop and support SRS reporting. Design, develop, and support Microsoft Share Point Portals solutions. Ensure that development standards are strictly followed. Provide end user technical support and training with respects to primary job responsibilities. The qualified candidate will be required to work closely with both technical and non technical associates.

Qualifications 5+ years experience working with SQL and SRS is required for this position. 3+ years of experience working with Microsoft Share Point and/or MOSS is desired. 5+ years web development experience is desired. Experienced with development within Microsoft Visual Studio .net is required. Experience with MS Dynamics GP is preferred. Experience with MS Dynamics CRM is preferred.

Know of anyone qualified? We are getting terrible candidates. I work in the medical device field and we are expanding. Again, in Maple Grove MN.

Having gone thru a lot of layoff's over the years, it just sucks. Having had to lay off people over the years sucks just as bad.

Rick

I was RIF'd years ago....when a lot of companies gave pretty nice (2-4) severance packages - i doubt that happens anymore. Then I was also laid off (blessing in disguise)....i'm a firm believe in what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...I learned a lot being w/o a job for a few months (the first time around, that is). it was definitely a little slice of humble pie, and I'm glad I tasted it. Granted, the economy is much worse now, but hopefully people have some money saved up. Definitely go on UI (unemployment insurance) if you can.

for job searching, i've had good luck on monster and dice.com (IT oriented), but my current job i found at a professional networking event, and I highly recommend these to people. Similarly, if you can give a good first impression (confident, articulate, well-dressed, etc.), you should check out a career fair - but you'll have lots of company (read: competition)

worse comes worse, you take a less than ideal job to pay the bills. you do what you have to do, right? These days, I don't think anyone is gonna question that.

if you're not in an area with a strong job market, consider pursuing a professional certification (if applicable)- something to differentiate yourself....and network, network, network (this really does get easier once you get into the mindset).

if anyone wants to do IT consulting (esp. project management and/or Java), shoot me a line.

I'd take a layoff in a heart-beat over my current situation. Hours cut by a third and a boss who's scrounging for anything she could pass off as a legit reason to fire and avoid an increase in the u.e. insurance. Makes things rather unpleasant. Especialy in a company with only four employees. If anyone knows of an opening for a cabinet maker with some computer skills in the vicinity of Western Mass ..............crickets

a new trade at 44 years old is definitely humbling.After teaching at a destination resort and then having my own business which I closed last year,I am now a carpenter's apprentice and find it to be the hardest job physically that I have ever had.I have had some very hard jobs and bugged my carpenter friend to hire me when he constanlty complained about good help being hard to find.My motto is that 'I can and will do the work of any three teenagers'.And I do.But I am eating humble pie as my joints hurt all the time and I feel stupid half the time,but I feel fortunate to be employed.

My heart goes out to anyone struggling to find work and support their families.

Think outside the box when looking for solutions.

A few months ago my company let go several hundred production, support, engineering and contract people. They also mothballed a big program. Managment said they thought that would be it. Yesterday our CEO told us they were letting another 500 go.

So, why was yesterday tough? My group was packing up to be moved to another location. (with ongoing refurbishing of old areas, one area suffering flooding from a pipe break, and lease being up on an extra building, a lot of office shuffling has been going on) As I was packing my stuff I was thinking "maybe the next time I pack stuff it may be stacked up at the curb".

Not an unrealistic thought. I suspect they'd just as soon lay off us senior engineers and hire a bunch of hungry youngsters.

I'd take a layoff in a heart-beat over my current situation. Hours cut by a third and a boss who's scrounging for anything she could pass off as a legit reason to fire and avoid an increase in the u.e. insurance. Makes things rather unpleasant. Especialy in a company with only four employees. If anyone knows of an opening for a cabinet maker with some computer skills in the vicinity of Western Mass ..............crickets

glennwood kitchens?

Templeton Showroom

657 Patriots Road

(Rt 2A)

Templeton, MA 01468

800-734-2027

978-939-4445

Fax: 978-939-5730

Mon-Fri: 9am-4pm

I just mentioned them because I ride through their parking lot all the time, they are right next to some bad ass sand pits.

you ride?

if so it's a bad ass place to work due to what it's next to.

We have been discussng this on another forum I subscribe to. I am in the contract utility locating industry. You want to dig and I come paint and flag your yard to let you know where the underground utilities are. I manage all of southern MN for my company and we are hiring for ten positions this spring. In less than one week I have received over 300 resumes. Alot of them are from people who have a bachelors degree or better. Here is my dilemma.....I would love to hire someone who is intelligent and would pick up the job quick, but on the other hand I need to hire people that I can retain and not have to replace each spring when they find a job in their respective field of choice. I hate to pass on someone with an advanced degree but in this field they are overqualified for the position. In the end, I am looking out for my bottom line to retain my job. What is ironic is that I am too not in the profession that I studied in school. I have a BS in Molecular Biology and was accepted to Med School some time ago but chose to concentrate on my kids instead of being on call every 3rd day for a number of years. So do I take a risk and hire someone like myself with a degree in hopes that they will stay in this profession for a number of years, or do I hire someone I can groom into this position so they can make it a career? I am just thankful that I have a job that keeps food on the table and allows my kids and I enjoy the lives that we have.

I just mentioned them because I ride through their parking lot all the time, they are right next to some bad ass sand pits.

you ride?

if so it's a bad ass place to work due to what it's next to.

Thanks, I'll give them a call. Everyone I've talked to in the K&B industry so far is laying off in though.

I ride mountain bikes, road bikes, street bikes, and skateboards, but you're probably talking about?

moto.jpg