The Coiler X5 Monsta 188 with Double Schtubby Technology has arrived

Shred Gruumer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do dig that embossed logo. Did you just mill that into the core?

No as it would never show through the metal. It is simply jut a sticker placed over the board to press it into the carbon during the assembly.

I thought that part worked out well. To get it all to showroom quality is still a bit away though. A lot of other builders have more experience at the cosmetics than I do as I was sorting out performance first and now can occasionally play with the looks.

BV

i think it's totally hot. the naysayers just have a less evolved sense of aesthetics. :)

Thanks for the :biggthump

Cosmetics will always be a personal thing and the last thing I work on when going through the development process. Board always comes first. With this way of building it limits me a bit in regards to the normal process of controlling stiffness so it will be interesting to see if I can sort it all out and get the consistency I require.

BV

the aesthetics of this board really appeal to me, simple and no nonsense, much like the clear topsheets on some Donek's and Arbor's. I'm not so sure about the shape but it is way beyond anything I can ride. I really hope Bruce V continues to experiment with this style of board as I think there is a place for this industrial looking style not to mention the probable weight savings...sure would be nice to have a classic Schtubby in this style of construction.

Also as was said Bruce please get someone to update your website so that more people can see these master pieces

Has a real utilitarian look. Monsta's a fitting name, especially given the size. I agree that it does look like a battering ram. Kinda cool, though, and I like it. Could add some silver POLICE letters running down one of the black stripes to build on that look. Toss some piezoelectric red lights in the sidewalls and you're set!

Just a general question on the metal construction, if Bruce or another builder catches this. Has anyone considered trimming the metal width just slightly to confine it entirely within the board? What I envision is a narrow (1/4"-5/16") strip of hard maple or other durable material running just under the topsheet all the way around the board, exposed at the sidewalls, with the metal layer completely protected inside. I would think that might do wonders for dings and board life. I love my NSR, but it seems every time I come home, I find another spot along the edge where an innocuous bump in the lift line caused the metal to dent/lift along the edge. The metal in the toeside edge along my back binding even has pieces of red plastic caught in it from my own boot. (All minor stuff so far, but none the less concerning.)

Has a real utilitarian look. Monsta's a fitting name, especially given the size. I agree that it does look like a battering ram. Kinda cool, though, and I like it. Could add some silver POLICE letters running down one of the black stripes to build on that look. Toss some piezoelectric red lights in the sidewalls and you're set!

Haha, or just call it the INTERCEPTOR in police letters, running down the side!

That would be a killer board name! The INTERCEPTOR!

greg

HI Here is my stchuby, It is metal construction symetrical, twin tip design. 165 with 13 side cut. Made by Bruce of course. 23 wide.

I love this board, it carves so well, and becouse short lenght you could do a lot of little carving trics on this 180s 360s, it carves switch well. Jumps are great as well.

It is easy to put it on the nose and rotate to switch, squere shape is not a problem.

Only consequence of going squere is a little more difficult to initiate skid turns (at least it is my impresion) that thing want to carve all the time.

But i dont want to skid anyway right? icon12.gif

Only things that i am not sure abut is the stiffnes i used to ride softer boards and it seems that this one performes extreemly well for angulated racecarving technique but if i want to EC on steep it could be a tad softer so i could load the nose a bit more.

It performes off trail ok, a lot of float in powder, suprisingly squere front is not a problem, but it is too stiff to realy anjoy it off piste i would rather take my tanker:)

post-2663-141842271464_thumb.jpg

post-2663-141842271468_thumb.jpg

the aesthetics of this board really appeal to me, simple and no nonsense, much like the clear topsheets on some Donek's and Arbor's.

me too. i generally prefer minimalist / industrial aesthetics, and exposed guts (to me) are totally hot. strip away the superfluous, i say. (not surprisingly, i'm a total weight weenie when it comes to bike builds). i've got a clear topsheet hammerhead wcr metal in the works that should be on a similar cosmetic wavelength.

Acha i forgot about graphics!!

I had some plans to put tons of pink roses on it maybe you have seen my post some time ago, but i run out of time and i decided to go super simple and suprisingly i really enyoy it simple apperance, TD2s look great on black matt background. (it is accualy glossy but i still have a protective foil on it;)

Looks like Mr Varsava has beaten mountain bikers at their own game by creating a board that will conquer the mountain everywhere, even those crux pitches. I guess if the X5 was a bike it would have 10" travel front and back, lock out the suspension as soon as bobbing was perceived and weighed 17lb(thats with pedals and a full water bottle). As to the asthetics it looks like a super model compared to the X4. X5 battering ram, X4 spanish inquisition! I don't need a new board this season but I know where my next purchase will be made. I will be in contact Mr. Varsava about Oct 09.:1luvu:

Shred

What run did you test it on at 7? Giant steps or Avalanche out front?

PRZ

How does your stubby perform compared to the Swoards you were on at Stowe last year. That was you right? On Liftline at ECES?

Cool concepts, just wish I had some disposable cash to throw some ideas around.

Still dying seeing these rides, BV says mine has been test ridden and awaits its topsheet stuck in customs, along with a bunch of others.

Greg

I like the looks!

would it be possible to put some dye in the epoxy?

ohh ****, with the sticker embossed if you got a bunch of letters you could put the model name or initials of the buyer.

neat stuff!

it kinda matches the NSX too!

Przemek/Brooklyn, you are barkin' up my tree with that board! Bruce still have the template? Looks like it belongs in MY quiver...

That 188 is super cool, but redundant for me, until I break my 192 Tanker. It is nice being light weight and able to use a Tanker for more that pow...

If your comparing the tanker to the X5.. its not even close.. I have ridden the tankers.. I think you would like having an X5.. as a metal board it shreds the tanker in every aspect on groom not even close... The tanker is great in the pow which would be better as designed than the X5.. I will get a chance I hope to test it in powder next week in Montana but they are two different animals. You would want both.. the tanker is yet even wider.. I think 23 is about as wide as I would go to have a board do both big mountain riding as a serious carver with the ability to handle some pow.. that was the goal.. now I just need to see.. The flex of the X5 is a good balance and it was made a little different.. it very lively for a metal board and being so light, it just was fricken dreamy!!

YOU want one... I know.:)