Note to New Members ×

Fin Tec heels

carver

Guys: Just put the heels on my Burton Fires. Had to change out my Burton screw plates. Did not have short enough bolts. So, I put in the T nuts I had and I'm good to go. This is an outstanding product! Necdut, I don't think you have to worry about the TD2 receivers. My post fits very nicely and does not scar the aluminum receiver. I do have a steel set en route however. Off to try them in the am. Look out Flagstaff AZ?

I just got mine. They sound expensive until you actually get them, and see what an extremely cool product they are. They are a real work of art and a great design. Even the heel pad looks like something he spent months designing. I feel like I got a lot for my money.

I got a set of heel receivers too and they are just as impressive. Not just some stamped and bent piece of steel. These things are great.

Glad you like them guys! It has been a long time coming and they do represent quite a bit of design and machining.

wjholm: the pads we use now on the Fin-Tecs are a compromise of resistance to wear but soft/sticky enough to hold. The biggest difference we made on the Fin-Tec's to make them stick better then the Intecs is we did not "under cut" the taper on the heel as much. Not a huge difference but ours extends outward about another 1cm. This decreases the fulcrum that promotes "land on yer ass" syndrome.

Guys: Just put the heels on my Burton Fires. Had to change out my Burton screw plates. Did not have short enough bolts. So, I put in the T nuts I had and I'm good to go. This is an outstanding product! Necdut, I don't think you have to worry about the TD2 receivers. My post fits very nicely and does not scar the aluminum receiver. I do have a steel set en route however. Off to try them in the am. Look out Flagstaff AZ?

So the Fin Tecs require different length screws than the Intecs? What size screws are required? I think the Burton screw plates are a nice feature and I'd like to keep them.

Fin's instructions were pretty clear about using the screws provided. They come with a thread locking compound on the threads. This compound is not intended to be re-used multiple times. If you use old screws with old compound or new screws without the compound, the screws can loosen.

If the heels loosen at an inopportune time, the results could be unpleasent.

I like the instructions about the installation of the clips that hold the handles to the cables "pliers or super-human thumbs" (I used pliers).

I also note that these clips create a pretty large interference fit when installing but they appear to be relaxed once seated (not stressed).

Nice design Fin!

I'm Back!! Ok. I have 5X30 metric cap screws. They are too long for the Burton heel plates. They are 1 1/8 in long. They go through the T nuts by 1/8th in. I decided to leave a sleeping dog lay. My liners and foot bed fit over the bolts. I do not like to take the liners out of the Burton boots because they are so tight. Folding the upper back of the liner is not good for them. I dry my liners with electric sticks. Works fine and does not stink. Look at the Intec and the Fintec and you can see the difference in the rear of the heel. The counter sink is deeper in the Fintec. Try the screws Fin sent you to start off. They are 3/4 in, in length. Hope this helps?

The screws we supply with the Fin-Tecs are the same length as the Intec ones - M5-20mm Pan Heads.

Honestly, I have not seen how the Burton boots work with the Fin-Tecs or Intecs They are so hard to come by and have not been made for so long, just difficult to say.

Who ever figures this out, please let us all know.

The biggest difference we made on the Fin-Tec's to make them stick better then the Intecs is we did not "under cut" the taper on the heel as much. Not a huge difference but ours extends outward about another 1cm. This decreases the fulcrum that promotes "land on yer ass" syndrome.

Thank you for the thought you put into your products!

Fin; I have the 2002 Burton Fires. They are outstanding boots. Your pan heads fit just fine. I have the cap screws and like them over the pan heads that's all. I don't know how many guys use Burton any more. Can't be many of us? I hope the info I provided will help the Burton users. Great product. As I said in a previous post, smooth as glass. At 65 years old, I hope I will have to buy a new pair of boots some day to keep carving.

At 65 years old, I hope I will have to buy a new pair of boots some day to keep carving.

Carver is your avatar a pic of you? At 65 you are truly hero:1luvu:

So there's hope for me once I get older. I thought I'd be sitting in a rocking chair at age 65, wearing depends with no teeth, drinking PBR's and reminiscing about how good of a carver I use to be

Carver is your avatar a pic of you? At 65 you are truly hero:1luvu:

So there's hope for me once I get older. I thought I'd be sitting in a rocking chair at age 65, wearing depends with no teeth, drinking PBR's and reminiscing about how good of a carver I use to be

Come out to OES! Several of our best are in the same neighborhood age-wise and you would never have any indication whatsoever seeing them ride. Carving better at 70 than 40 is in the top 5 of my life goals. (I'm 38 now and getting better at carving every year...)

I just got mine. They sound expensive until you actually get them, and see what an extremely cool product they are.

I thought they were cheap, actually. :) When I found out they were coming, I was expecting to pay a lot more for them.

Mine just arrived, I'm looking forward to trying them out this weekend.

Fin; I have the 2002 Burton Fires. They are outstanding boots. Your pan heads fit just fine. I have the cap screws and like them over the pan heads that's all. I don't know how many guys use Burton any more. Can't be many of us? I hope the info I provided will help the Burton users. Great product. As I said in a previous post, smooth as glass. At 65 years old, I hope I will have to buy a new pair of boots some day to keep carving.

Sweet TR on the Fintechs and Fires. I will be trying some here very soon. I have three pairs of Fires in my size right now, one boot has a smallish crack but the other two pair are pristine and low mileage. :biggthump

BTW Tim, if you need parts for these I have stockpiled quite a few buckles, rear lock down mechanism and some other stuff. Only have one new toe pad thing and I need to put it on.

Slightly OT: Has anyone put a BTS on the Fires?

I might like to try these on my older fires for in the bumps and stuff.