Note to New Members ×

Am I self indulgent or..........

Chubz

when on a run beneath a lift on a good snow day, turns just seem to be more fun. I was out yesterday on some pretty less than stellar conditions for most regular riders and skiers. I was laying down some fairly well placed turns on a run under the lift on stuff that most were picking their way down. I was in a zone, especially in those conditions.

Once in a while, I would glance up and most on the lift were fixated on my turns. At one point in the run, a roller puts the rider right at what seems to be head height with skis hanging from folks on the lift. It was a great place to lay down a big fat heelside turn right under their skis and boards.

I also get a charge of riding under the quad lift with JBS at Blue Mountain and watching people turn to look over the back of the chairlift seat to see his other turns. Am I self indulgent or is it cool that our sport turns heads on the slope because we do on an edge what most people only dream of.

Thank goodness I moved over to this version of the sport 6 years ago. Carving ROCKS!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

with any luck, you'll inspire others to give alpine a go. it amazes me it's still such a fringe sport. i like to think that now that conventional snowboarding is mainstream, the alternative-ness of hardbooting will fuel a new resurgence. maybe as the current population ages, we'll see more 'mature' riders transitioning. it'd be nice to be able to fondle / demo / buy gear from a local shop some day...

Chubz, Chubz, Chubz, my man!

It ain't braggin' if you can do it. Just sit back in your chair, take a sip of whatever beverage you're happy with, and enjoy one of the simple pleasures of carving in hardboots. It makes my heart glad that you had that happen for you. Especially, under the lift.

Just don't forget....

If you fall under the lift and your likely to get all kinds of grief from those same admirers. Your audience is heartless and demanding but, they are in the same 'boat' as it were. If you fall next time, dust yourself off, and ride on with your chin up, shoulders level, weight forward, and ready to kick some as.......

Mark

Happy New BEEERRRRRR!!!!!

No greater motivator than spinning heads on the lift. You really know you got um when they start dropping gloves or stuff off the chair because they were watching you:biggthump When yer under the lift its time to perform and its time to represent this community so bring out your best.

There is a small place near by Called Jiminy peak. The 6pack goes up what I think is the best carving trail and the steepest pitch. We always get a crowd of people following us to the lift asking who we are and about our gear.

The way I see it, When you work as hard as we do at this sport yer entitled to a little ego boost from some new found fans:D

Bring the Noise

Allee, same here. I was a pretty good skier. Did a couple of stints in ski school, I loved to ski & loved Killington, then started going out west. Awesome trips, problem was I had no desire to ski locally anymore. Started 'snowboarding' as a challenge. Then one day back at Killington on the board I see this guy TEARING it up! I was mezmerized. I could 'carve' on skis (Elan SCX) before I started on the board, but what this guy was doing couldn't possibly be legal. What the heck is he doing, what the heck is he riding? Looked like one of 'them skiboard things' to me, but he had ski boots on? I knew then and there, whatever he was doing I wanted to do, or at least try. Eventually I ended up on the lift with him (stalked :D him) and found out it was an 'Alpine Snowboard' and equipment, I believe his exact words were "The Superior Carving Tools".

Well, I had just purchased a brand new Never Summer Premier, didn't even have a whole day on it, I couldn't go out and buy all new gear now :confused: could I? YES.:)

I haven't been back on ski's since I started to board & still don't have a full day on the Never Summer.

I didn't get his name, but he had to live in Rutland!

Chubz: I hope you weren't tearing up all that 'fresh powder' @ Blue !

No, I was at my orginal home mountain, 7 springs while on vacation back home. THe morning :barf: on North face but the afternoon served up a premiere dose of semi-stiff sun drenched conditions that most people avoided. I started ripping on it right after noon and by 1:30 there were plenty of people pretending to rip it.

I just love the sensation of showing people what can be done on a metal edge with combination of other equipment, practice and mental dedication.

I love even seeing kids on the ski race team pushing the limits of their equipment. Really setting and edge and riding thru it, too bad they are worried about hitting the next gate.

Lift line riding is the best.

Casper, wont make it to jackson this season, metal coiler took the place of any trips, I sure wish it would get here soon.

Chubz - what you are feeling is the art of performance.

The feeling of focused attention is a rush for sure. You feed off that energy. At least I do. Now try doing that in the official snowsports instructor uniform for your resort.

Sometimes I go out and freeride in uni just to show a few of the peeps that it isn't all baggy pants wannabe carvers in the ski school.

It's a rush when you do it right. :biggthump

Sucks when you get tired about 20 turns into and get lazy and blowout your toeside turn and slide 100 yards on your belly before popping back up. :eek:

Comes with the territory.

Almost as good is when you wait until the lifts close and most everyone is off the hill and you do those just for you.

a shameless showoff! Self indulgent?Sure! But who cares;it's loads of fun to know all eyes are on you.Like carvedog said, ripping it up in uniform has always been a good way to drum up a little lesson biz.I've had plenty of older skiers approach me to say that they have never entertained the thought of learning to snowboard until they saw me riding under chair three etc.Much of their reasoning has been the gangsta image and lack of control and manners that personifies snowboarding's image.I tell them that's fine because I think of myself not a typical snowboarder,but as a hardbooter. Had one gentleman start snowboarding last season in softboots with the goal of being in hardboots before the end of the season.He took ten lessons from me and bought hardboot gear from me;all based on having seen me carving under chair three.

As for being one of only a few... resorts are more likely to treat us as worthwhile customers ,may be more open to expanded carving terrain, be less of a threat to ban us for our trenches,and show more appreciation for our non gangsta image and higher level of control if we are higher in number;therefore showing a credible source of new revenue for (especially)small resorts scrambling to keep what business they've got, let alone find new ways to generate it.

with any luck, you'll inspire others to give alpine a go. it amazes me it's still such a fringe sport. i like to think that now that conventional snowboarding is mainstream, the alternative-ness of hardbooting will fuel a new resurgence. maybe as the current population ages, we'll see more 'mature' riders transitioning. it'd be nice to be able to fondle / demo / buy gear from a local shop some day...

You're unlikely to ever see such a thing. The rest of the industry works like a well oiled machine in their attempts to quell alpine. A few years back while at SIA we were looking for a new freeride binding to carry. Over and over we were asked to leave companies booths. Their explanation was always the same: "We want nothing to do with a company involved in the alpine market."

The most interesting part is that every young employee I've had has expressed a desire to try alpine. Some have even made it a regular part of their riding. All agree that it improves their riding immensly.

That makes me sad/mad, Sean.

I understand abandoning the apline market as unprofitable, but actively quashing alpine market developement prevents crossover skiiers from buying snowboards.

Where does this insane fear of being considered a skiier come from:confused:

skiers approach me to say that they have never entertained the thought of learning to snowboard until they saw me riding under chair three etc.Much of their reasoning has been the gangsta image and lack of control and manners that personifies snowboarding's image.

Part of why I have not returned to Softbooting, I like being set apart from the gangstas

Over and over we were asked to leave companies booths. Their explanation was always the same: "We want nothing to do with a company involved in the alpine market."

Did they ever give any clues as to why they want nothing to do with alpine?

The mass-market snowboard industry seems to be largely about branding and reputation... are they just averse to anything that might change the perception of their brand in any way?

Or do they see alpine as a competitive threat, trying to steal their existing customers?

Is it just binding manufacturers, or did you get that cold shoulder from other manufacturers as well? Bindings might be a special case since it's not something that could be easily adapted to fit both markets (boots too). Whereas apparel and accessories could serve both markets with little or no changes.

Donek, Sean, that is just sickening :eek: to think that they actually have the brass to say that to your face! "We want nothing to do with a company involved in the alpine market."

Thanks for posting, It is good for me to know how the rest of the Industry feels about someone & something I respect!

All I can say is, Karma! Keep up the awesome work you do for us!

although I'm not as good as alot of the folks around here (Cuban...:)), I still enjoy ripping it under the lift. I was also inspired by a hardbooter back when I first started boarding 8 years ago while riding up the lift. Snow Patrol dude named Andreas on a Sims Burner 167, you know the pink version, comes ripping down under the main lift at my local mountain. Being a former motorcycle roadracer when I saw him laying down those turns I said aloud "That's what I wanna do!" One of my local buddies Rob (Ralaan) does a sweet mid carve jump just in sight of the chair on our favorite green run (see pic below). The Cat Track runs parallel to the lift line and it creates a "lip". Rob loves to come blazing in cranked over on his toeside and jump it at full tilt than slam it back the other way right under the chair. I've gotten in the bad habit of hitting it on my toeside, looping below the crest than carving back up the slope and doing 180 "bunny hop" and landing on the Cat Track. I saw Cuban at Heavenly a season or two ago and he was blazing down Olympic under the chair just tearin' it up. I'd have to say overall it inspires me to try harder and really gets me stoked when I see other riders doing it too. Sorry for the long post...it's been a while!

post-857-141842268068_thumb.jpg