Note to New Members ×

sympathy to lifties !

lowrider

I went to Whistler a week ago, and less than half the mountain was open and there was f**kin' rocks everywhere. (Ask me how I found them.) I got a cheap ticket from 7-11 and walked out with my wallet $82 lighter, taxes in. Don't bother with the liftie, go directly to guest relations. I'm the one to blame though, I should know better than to go to Whistler when they only have 75cm. Oh well.......

later,

Dave R.

If i pay full price for a lift ticket (is it still referred to as that ?) am i entitled to complain if the lift lines are long and the resort has only three of more than ten lifts operating ? what's fair ?:AR15firin:AR15firin

What is fair is that you check out conditions at the hill before purchase.

The daily ski report should have all that info.

If the area has not been accurate or they had lift problems that closed them down, they should throw down a voucher or something.

The mtn here has a sliding scale depending on how much terrain is open.

go talk to them if you are disappointed. They want you happy and coming back for more.

Some of the hills around here have a one hour guarantee. If you go up, the conditions suck, and you're back in guest services within an hour they'll give you a raincheck for another day. Might be worth finding out if any of yours have something similar.

And what about season pass holders? Some years, the resorts open early November; other years, they don't open until early December. But to get the best deal on a pass, you gotta buy before October. Would be nice to be able to predict the weather that far in advance!

Nah, I'm not ranting. If you wanna play, you gotta pay! :biggthump

I know this thread is about buyer's remorse but take care of the cool liftys out there. A few of us have worked as liftys and it's a thankless job, I couldn't take it. Watching people have fun all day and you can't ride, it's tough.

A simple thanks when you get on the chair. I've gone to the shop and grabbed foot and hand warmers for kids with frozen fingers and toes. Handed out candy bars, gum or granola bags cuz I know some kid was starving all day.

it's good karma. take care of the liftys :biggthump

And what about season pass holders?

At my local mountain we kind of have a good thing no matter what the yearly conditions are. Our season is usually from mid December to mid March but our season passes are only about $250 for unlimited use both night and day. With these prices I don't mind bad conditions.

I 2nd what Willy said. Take care of the lifties - they're stuck in a resort atmosphere that's high-priced and are a captive audience like the rest of us. Low wages are really insult to injury in those circumstances. Makes me think of Steve Bucsemi's (Reservoir Dogs?) lecture about the importance of tipping waitresses. Great scene.

one mountan out here (okemo) allows you to ride the lifts for the first hour without a lift ticket. pretty conenient, more mountains should adopt this practice

Most mountains will give you a voucher for a lift ticket if you come back in before say 10:00am and ask. These policies are seldom advertised loudly.

They're using ticket scanners in the lift lines all the time these days. It should be no problem for them to implement the 1 hour guarantee no matter when you start.

Norquay offers lift tickets by the hour, starting with a 2 hour ticket. I'm sure they must use the scanners to keep track of that.

They're using ticket scanners in the lift lines all the time these days. It should be no problem for them to implement the 1 hour guarantee no matter when you start.

Norquay offers lift tickets by the hour, starting with a 2 hour ticket. I'm sure they must use the scanners to keep track of that.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking when I posted that. Bachelor had gates with scanners, too. Seems like a darn good idea.

I like the way they do it in Europe ( I understnd some of the US hills do it as well) they sell you a card for five bucks and you load it up with the number of days you want. You can also load it on a few Swatch watches and you just walk up to a turnstyle and wave your pass or watch in the general area of the reader and away you go. When you are done with the pass you can keep it for next time or return it and get your five back.

It was such a hassle free system, I hope more hills here start using it.