Note to New Members ×

Spun an insert.. screwed?

big canuck

This is a late comment, A friend who owned a shop years ago suggested to run a bottom tap in the inserts before you mount bindings. I did the same thing with a new Winterstick 15 years ago and then he told me that. He chased the threads on every board they got in for rentals, thats a lot of threads.

Paul

damn, I hope that's not the F3 :eek:

I have done that on a few old boards - only thing you can do is change your mounting points to avoid that insert or you drill it out and t-nut through the board...then put a p-tex patch over the bottom of the t-nut.

First thing I'd do is ask Bruce or Sean - they may have some tricks that us mere mortals don't know

You can try to drill some small holes around the perimeter of the insert, from the top down. Not through the ptex of course.

Inject some epoxy into the holes and let it dry. Might just work. Used to do that on our race cars when we'd have a loose hard point in the carbon. Worked well for that.

Marty is on the right track but may I suggest running a steel pin in the hole you make. I've done this repair on 2 boards now and it seems to be holding up fine. Like he said, drill a couple of holes from the top, just to the side if the insert, going down through the base of the insert (but NOT the base of the board!) and put in an appropriate sized pin. Epoxy it in place with a good, quality epoxy. Make sure you get plenty in there. You can tape the top of the board to make cleanup easier and to eliminate getting epoxy in the insert. It works...go slowly and take your time.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear about the problem. When I was building model airplanes, I used to use a syringe to inject epoxy into small holes. After mixing the epoxy, or maybe before, I can't remember, I'd heat it up in a cup held in some really hot water. It made the epoxy runny enough to easily shoot through the syringe. I bet you could drill the holes slightly larger than a syringe, then stick the syringe in the hole all the way to the end and shoot it in that way, so there wouldn't be air pockets or missed areas. Or maybe have the holes the same size as the syringe and shoot it in one hole until it comes out of the others. I'd use slow-curing epoxy since the heat will speed up the drying time. The steel pin sounds like a great idea.

I always chase the inserts with taps in new boards now after getting TWO brand-new Renntigers with thread problems.

Can anyone post a picture of an insert so I can see what I'm trying to pin/epoxy. I have a Madd 170 with a spun insert that I'd like t fix. If I know what I'm trying to hit maybe I'll have to drill fewer holes in the carbon butterfly.

Just go here: http://www.donek.com/tech2.htm#metal

you can view an insert in the laminate stack photo. The diameter of the base of the insert is typically 3/4in.

Sorry to hear about the problem. When I was building model airplanes, I used to use a syringe to inject epoxy into small holes.

There have been a lot of good suggestions. I'd add one more. Whatever you do to repair this, once it's working, don't crank down on that screw anymore. When you tighten your bindings on, tighten the other three, and then just tighten the broken one a little bit.

Screwing down each screw compresses the soft material between the hard plate. Do this compression work with the other three good holes, and then take up the slack with the (formerly) broken one.

It doesn't take a lot of screw thread to hold everything together. Indivudual 1/4-20 and/or 6 mm screws are typically rated to take about a half ton or so of weight. No point in overtorquing the one that broke.

Regards,

Martin

helicoils

not really suggested, some people were using them to mount ski plates and hangles but there's a reason people do it other ways now.

heli coils are better used on skis and even then Tnutting is a better option if you can get in there without major surgery

if you do helicoil, get a old board to practice on first. real easy to screw up

There have been a lot of good suggestions. I'd add one more. Whatever you do to repair this, once it's working, don't crank down on that screw anymore. When you tighten your bindings on, tighten the other three, and then just tighten the broken one a little bit.

Regards,

Martin

Sounds like riding on 3:freak3:

I would never cut a hole in the base of my board.:nono:

Sounds like riding on 3 ....

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Normally, when we tighten down a binding, we alternate A, D, B, C (or whatever,) tightening each one down in a sequence, and finding the the one we did least recently is loose, because of the pressure that the others have taken off of the earlier one.

What I'm suggesting is that you tighten them all, but tighten the bad (repaired) one last in the sequence, and don't clamp it all the way down until the very last pass. That way it will never see a load higher than the other inserts, and only at the very end will it catch up to them. This will decrease the chance that you'll redamage it, and will be riding on 4, well, because you are. Just don't overtighten it in the early stages to take the load off the other 3 screws - use the other three to do that, and just take up the slack with the repaired one.

Regards,

Martin

Chris, what year Madd is it? Pm me. Ive replaced many brass Madd inserts on the older boards with non brass inserts. Easy to do.

Can't pm you?

Not exactly sure of the boards age. 3-4 years I think. It's the one with the yellow/green sidewalls. The inserts are not brass tho'

So the insert isnt spinning, the threads are stripped apparently on the one brass insert. Heli coil? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

K

either tap it with a bigger thread or a new insert put in a new insert.

neither are that big of deal