Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

Lots of fresh air on Saturday. Rode with Ice, PCDenver Brian and an old ski buddy - Eric. I'm trying to entice Eric to the dark side. I have a board he can use but it has step-in bindings. If I were to get some standard bindings, could he use his ski boots to get started?

Alternatively, he wears about a Mondo 27 - 28 boot. Anyone have some old boots that he could try?

I have my pair of 28 deluxoo's just for this purpose, red/blue bts, there is a little bit off slop in one of my frankenrivet repairs

mario

Edited by big mario

Mario - the bindings I have are step-ins. Are these boots regular or Intec?

The are reg. If you have td 2 or later, I have heel and toe bails that you can use to make your step ins reg, let me know

mario

Hey, I'll be at abasin tomorrow, Thursday, unless Loveland pass is closed for some reason. Then I'll be at Loveland.

I come down from fort collins every Thursday and some sundays for anyone who wants to share a ride on I25 and I70 to abasin, Loveland, or keystone.

Brandon

Lots of fresh air on Saturday. Rode with Ice, PCDenver Brian and an old ski buddy - Eric. I'm trying to entice Eric to the dark side. I have a board he can use but it has step-in bindings. If I were to get some standard bindings, could he use his ski boots to get started?

John,

I definitely agree about the ski boots. When I got my first carving setup, I tried using my ski boots and struggled almost to the point of going back to softies. Then I found a set of Blax hardboots and Wow! what a difference! If Mario's boots will work, I have either a set of SnoPro Race bindings or Burton race plates and even a couple of boards Eric could borrow. Let me know, I'm planning on Loveland Sunday and always happy to support the sport.

James

Edited by Dusty Bottle

Mario & James - thanks. I think this might work. The bindings I have are Raichle X-Bone step-ins so no Frankenbomber would work.

I'll see if Eric plans to go up on Saturday. If so, I'll let you know and maybe we can set him up.

So - I talked to Eric and he is willing to give it a try. I mis-read James' post and thought you were talking Saturday. Looks like we'll have to try a day that Mario and James will be there at the same time.

Mario - are you planning on going this weekend? What day?

- John

Great carving on Saturday. Beautiful weather and great groom. Started to get a bit crowded by 10. We went over to Lift 8. Once again the groomer under #8 was really great. By noon it was starting to get pretty soft down low. We quit about 12:30.

The snow is getting really thin. Bare patches opening up on the south facing slopes. If they don't get any snow this week, it may be pretty sketchy next weekend. And they're staying open until Mother's Day? How was it on Sunday?

Great carving on Saturday. Beautiful weather and great groom. Started to get a bit crowded by 10. We went over to Lift 8. Once again the groomer under #8 was really great. By noon it was starting to get pretty soft down low. We quit about 12:30.

The snow is getting really thin. Bare patches opening up on the south facing slopes. If they don't get any snow this week, it may be pretty sketchy next weekend. And they're staying open until Mother's Day? How was it on Sunday?

Sunday wasn't nearly as nice weatherwise but the snow didn't warm up as quickly. The bad part was how flat the light was. It also wasn't as crowded as Sat.

Kai spent the day riding the 136 Rossi from Miss Kate. He did very well with the larger radius. Later in the day he even stuffed it down into Drifter. No vid since I forgot the camera, only a still off the phone.

post-955-141842364242_thumb.jpg

Ink

Ink - The weather Sunday in Denver wasn't as nice as expected. Started off overcast and the mountains looked pretty socked in. It did get a bit clearer later in the day but not the sunny day promised. Too bad the clouds in the mountains didn't bring snow with them. Great pic of Kai.

Hoping to be there tomorrow. No idea where I'll be... just look for the worst carver you've ever seen trying to catch a fast skier... that'll be me. :D

Which board to start with?

Liberation w/ CATEKs

Donek FC w/ F2s

Donek Axxess w/TD3s

It's a problem to decide! :eplus2:

Going up Wednesday. I'll check in upstairs near the bar to see if anybody is around, then head to whatever is groomed at the top of #2. After that I'll check out #4 and #8 cuz I haven't been there yet, then head back to #6. May be on Switchback after noon.

More than likely none of the LCI will be present. We all work during the week. Play is on the weekends. Have fun!

Ink

Objective? What's that?

I showed up way too early just because I got up too early. Groomers were stilll coming down Home Run. Up #1 at open. Tempest was groomed but bumpy and hard, as if it was really soft when the machines went over it. Up #2. They claimed that Fire Cut was groomed, but only the far left third had new cord. Lame. The top of #2 was smooth but crusty hard, covered with frozen mini-cookies the size of dog kibble. Turtle Creek was great at open, all the way down thru the "Loveland Nexus of the Universe" area to the #6 load. Mambo and Home Run were fine; maybe they got groomed last. The top of Drifter is closed because they are building some stupid jump there. What a waste of a perfectly good run.

Next to #4. Lots of bare ground visible around some trees and wind-blown ridges, but the runs are still covered well. I took Zip Trail to #8 and did Chet's Run for the first time. It wasn't groomed as wide as I would have liked, but despite being a little crunchy in places it wasn't a problem to get a good edge in the whole way down. I really enjoyed it, and ran it four times. The chutes to the tunnel were closed, so I had to go back up and head back to #4 on Zippity Split. When that cat track met up with Zip Trail, I found that there was no clearly marked way to get down. I just traversed some unnamed, ungroomed slope until I got to the groomer under #4. Scrub was too steep and too hard for me to deal with so I just skidded down, but someone with skill could have gotten an edge in.

Over to #6. I ran Roulette several times despite it not being groomed. It was ok, considering. Later in the day I did Fire Cut after it was impossible to tell that any of it had been groomed. It was bumpy but doable; not scrapy.

I didn't go to Switchback today. By 1-2PM things were softening up everywhere. Places that were crusty at open were now soft. Other places had gone to mashed potatoes. Just about every kind of snow condition existed somewhere for some amount of time. Carvability migrated around the hill like a drunken, concussed elephant. I left at 2 with the parking lot running like a muddy river. Cold temps at open, but uncomfortably warm by early afternoon. I wish I could have gone back to Chet's Run after it had softened a bit, but #8 is a little inconvenient to get to.

And strangely enough, there were a total of 5 carvers on the hill, plus Pete on skis. More crowded than a normal weekday, but no lift lines beyond a few people.

Finally, Plum is fast when it's warm. (shameless product placement)

Do you know how hard it is to catch other carvers on an unfamiliar hill? We finally caught up to Excelsior and Matt late in the day after seeing them carve here and there.

Saw Tony and his ride (Ed?). At one point we saw all four of them together. Then they were gone. Then we saw them from another lift... my son and I were laughing... too funny.

Loveland was great. I really appreciated the length of runs and the speed of the lifts. No really! Kept me from getting tired and allowed a full day on the hill.

We ran into that issue on the Zip trail coming back from 8 as well. I caught some air and had my only CO wipeout so far on the way to Scrub. One's edges would have to be REALLY sharp to carve Scrub today.

Edited by lonbordin
not and... on!

Ice and I got on 1 at 8:33. At 8:33:45 lift 1 stopped for about 40 minutes. Power went out as well as the back up deisels. Patrol was getting ready to evacuate. They would have had fun with my fat ass. finally got up to the top and went over to 6. 6 stopped with us on it a 3rd of the way up . Waited 20 minutes. Went up again, lift stopped right after we got off. Went to 1 did a run, at the bottom, 1 was stopped again. Went to the darkend Rat and drank beer. Conditions = Very firm. The Sheriff was on skis, Blasphemer. That is all.

mario

Edited by big mario