Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

Almost.

Perfect.

Another groomer pass or 2 and it would have been a little less lumpy, bumpy, and a touch firmer, but still as close as you can get to a midwinters carving day at the end of April. It was chilly, and windy, and windy in some strange spots, with not a cloud in the sky. All in all, not a bad way to close down my season at lovey this year.  I must say, I will miss being strafed by various types of fruit, tutu's, fruit in tutu's, bad white people dancing on the patio, and all of the other jackassery and tomfoolery that makes closing day so not special. Instead I will be getting in touch with my inner kook as I attempt to surf in the warm tropicalish waters off of cocoa beach, as well as having to choke down rum based boat drinks, with umbrellas in them.  It is not an easy life I tell ya. 

Fun day today, with a whole herd out defiling the groom once again, You all know who you are, and I had a blast riding with all of you, and tormenting some of you this season. But now I am looking forward to a little bit of rest, and recovery for some of my balky body parts, at least until the start of Mtn Biking and crashing season as well as Sean's  end of season bbq at the basin

See you when I see you,

Mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 3

Was a blast riding with you and watching you this season. You have come along way since I started filling your head with gibberish. Till I see you on dirt, have fun on the waves. 

The best part of my day was seeing KarverKai killing it on Hillb's 157 SG. KK has now been inflicted with the "board bigger than you" fever that plagues our carving slopes. 

Was a blast and we'll be back this coming weekend. 

Ink8A03771F-9A36-4CE7-8D68-9618D66D9C93.thumb.jpg.310aaf2f18a8add852bdbc3381de07e7.jpg

Edited by inkaholic
  • Like 4

I think there were, no, I know there were a few times you and Pat Mac did blow the top of my head off, which is why I started carrying riding notes in that pass window on my jacket sleeve. Thanks for your patience back then.

It was awesome watching littleman the other day, that stick was a game changer!

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1

Grateful here just to make some new friends with great riders! Katie and I are stoked for one more Sunday with the crew. Sorry we won't see Mario but happy he will be getting some surf! Carve it anyway you can!

Excited for our first full summer here in CO. When the house is done, BBQ at my place. All are welcome and I'll post up here. 

Thanks for sharing! 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, slopestar said:

Grateful here just to make some new friends with great riders! Katie and I are stoked for one more Sunday with the crew. Sorry we won't see Mario but happy he will be getting some surf! Carve it anyway you can!

Excited for our first full summer here in CO. When the house is done, BBQ at my place. All are welcome and I'll post up here. 

Thanks for sharing! 

we will hold you to that !!  Enlist Mario for some gourmet additions to your  party 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2008 at 10:54 PM, pcdenver said:

i refuse to ride in the terrain park with you

pc denver

Ahh, see what 8.5 years will do to you?   The terrain park was awesome today :D

Somebody forgot to tell the snow machine that it's May.   3" forecasted, more than 6" in most places.  Especially the terrain park!

Met up with RacerH, OddJob, Dennis and PCD in the morning.  Apparently only PCD and I realized it was a pow day and brought out the softies.  A quick trip up Ptarmigan proved that firebowl/cut was not where it's at.  Going  up 6 the terrain park looked sweet.  It was :)

After 5 rounds of park-ratting the J-crew realized it was time to look for more freshies.  Lovey provides!  South chutes were awesome with more than a foot of pow!  Total tally for the day: 13 runs.  12 of those on untracked pow.  What a day!  

In the pic below pc denver aka park Pete getting ready to drop into the gnar!  

2017-05-03_10-14-34_909.jpeg.ffadd562b9f423133840f71b3165ee82.jpeg

• Like 1

So is closing day a good day to bring the vintage quiver up?

i have my favorite burtons ready to go

171 Kelly slope style. Craig's actual board 94'

162 pj regular 3hole 94'

160 m6 regular (angel) 94'

162 asym air regular (red wood top) 93'

162 air6 93'

these are my "heyday" boards 3strap and td2 3 hole lowers available. If I'm not on one, you are welcome to ride it

IMG_8551.JPG

Edited by slopestar

It was a good day. Mixed bag conditions and an MES of 2-5. Usual players and not so usual players in attendance. Dennis was behind the camera, James, Hillary, Kevin, Juhwan, Coach Ink and his Squire along with The Dude. Katie and I were running at a different pace and Aaron joined up with us for a few laps while I was busy playing musical snowboards. We all hooked up with Reed and his Girlfriend as well as the Johann's. (Apologies for not getting better acquainted) Great folks from a few states away. The orange Coiler was easy to spot and the Johanns knew what to do with the vintage Rossi's!

We all saddled up for a drink or three before the blizzard kicked in.

You were missed Mario. But We all had a fun and safe closing day. Catch you at A-Bay before seasons end!? 

BBQ at my place in a month or so!

hope that covers it. Anyone have anything to add? 

• Like 2

Yep, a great day and a great crowd of hooligans for the Lovey closer!  Dennis, thanks for the photos, sorry for your board loss.  Kai, you looked super smooth on that SG!  And we can't forget the the Cinco de Mono riders, who assisted with run destruction.  In retrospect, we (or I) missed Mario's (no injuries – no one died) toast.

A-Basin's trying to make June.  I may snag a ticket for the closer.

See you hooligans soon!

James

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Magic.

I hope all y'all are out getting after it in some way shape or form and taking advantage of something/anything our incredible state has to offer, if you aren't, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU????:ices_ange

Inky, I don't know if you have had the chance to ride lower Box 'O' Rox at the big green mound since COMBA did some work on it, but it is a hoot, pure pump track silliness with a sprinkling of rockgardens for a little bit o spice. I've managed to ride it twice this week.  Once P is a little further out from her latest surgery,  i'll try to get over to your back yard.  18 days left in my current MTB season, then I get cut on and I am out in til late July/ early August. See you knuckleheads when I see you

mario

• Like 3

2 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

Hoping All goes well for U Mario !! :1luvu:

Thanks Bob!

Just some minor maintenance, didn't bother me on the hill too much, but damn, once I tried to get out of the element when I got home.... ouchit!

Came across this recently and thought of you @big mario...

http://www.bmj.com/content/357/bmj.j1982

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/7/5/e016114

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/7/5/e015587

The short TL/DR of it: Arthroscopic knee surgery doesn't improve symptoms more than exercise.  

To quote them: 

We make a strong recommendation against the use of arthroscopy in nearly all patients with degenerative knee disease, based on linked systematic reviews; further research is unlikely to alter this recommendation

This recommendation applies to patients with or without imaging evidence of osteoarthritis, mechanical symptoms, or sudden symptom onset

Healthcare administrators and funders may use the number of arthroscopies performed in patients with degenerative knee disease as an indicator of quality care.

Knee arthroscopy is the most common orthopaedic procedure in countries with available data

This Rapid Recommendation package was triggered by a randomised controlled trial published in The BMJ in June 2016 which found that, among patients with a degenerative medial meniscus tear, knee arthroscopy was no better than exercise therapy

I will caveat this by saying I'm not a doctor (my wife is the doctor).  Your doctor is the authority on whether you need this or not.  Just pointing out what the literature says on the subject.  Either way, please heal quickly.  Trying to cross your trenches makes the day very *interesting* :)

Thanks Erazz,

I looked at those studies as well, and decided to proceed with the surgery. I have very little evidence of arthritis, in fact, doc has seen more wear on 30 year old knees then in mine despite the fact that I have not been kind to them through the years. Must be that thick, cro-mag bone structure of mine, I had an mri done one my skull once, and the tech had never seen a skull so thick, no brain, no pain.  I have arrived at 54 relatively intact despite my best efforts in mosh pits, jobsites, mountain bike crashes, snowboards, and squat racks. 

mario

• Like 1