Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

Heed the sage advice of the Canyonista, Grasshopper!  Forsaking paranoia, many have succumbed to the attraction of riding in to said plowed berm, describing it as a mesmerizing black hole, drawing in the unsuspecting and spewing them out with reckless abandonment.  Others have been inadvertently caught off guard, as their limited attention span leads them on a parallel course to eminent disaster.  Ultimate decimation quickly ensues, as they disappear into the vast oblivion and are then dispelled in a disgusting heap atop the fervently unforgiving, white carpet.  Ask me how I know… :freak3:   

See you hooligans tomorrow!

James

• Like 2

Heed the sage advice of the Canyonista, Grasshopper!  Forsaking paranoia, many have succumbed to the attraction of riding in to said plowed berm, describing it as a mesmerizing black hole, drawing in the unsuspecting and spewing them out with reckless abandonment.  Others have been inadvertently caught off guard, as their limited attention span leads them on a parallel course to eminent disaster.  Ultimate decimation quickly ensues, as they disappear into the vast oblivion and are then dispelled in a disgusting heap atop the fervently unforgiving, white carpet.  Ask me how I know… :freak3:   

See you hooligans tomorrow!

James

Rather verbose, yet quite eloquent and nicely done James!

Sunday, 12/20

Sublime Awesomeness

With both 4 and 8 open, the majority of the masses headed off into the great windblown in search of untouched freshies 4 days after the last dump in this vast high alpine wind scoured  wasteland.  All I can say is, good luck with that, and thank you for leaving me in relative peace on the that beautiful hero groom.

Rode the new 188 today, and spent the entire time loading and launching it from turn to turn. Thanks again Bruce, that stick is an absolute joy to ride! conditions were awesome until the light disappeared and the snow moved in at 11. I drove that board hard today, and yet somehow managed to keep my top speed under 40

On the hill today, the rider formerly known as the sheriff, the dude, odd job(if you don't start riding with some aggression, you might end up with a new handle there nancy boy) john e, dusty bottle, and I

Not looking forward to next weekends onslaught of kantexahoman holiday tourons, but hey, thems the breaks for loving this small, inexpensive,  close to home front range resort

mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1

Rode Ptarmigan (aka Reload) all morning (mostly with Don & James). That lift is a HUGE improvement over the old #2! It almost never stopped.

Still working on getting lower. Light went flat about 10:30. Started snowing about 11:30. Snowing heavily by noon. Quit about 12:10. Looked for you guys in the Rat but looks like you had already left.

The drive home was one of the easiest ever. Never even slowed down.

Hope all of you have a great holiday season. I probably won't be back until next year. 

keystone / loveland

i'm not going to say that keystone is a nightmare and a possible blight on this earth.  No, i'll

stick to the facts.  my boy had a ski lesson at keystone today, so i did some skiing.  

i have often said there is no ice in colorado.  not true.  keystone is covered in ice, caused

by the thousands of skiers scraping all the snow off the trails.

in addition, it is quite possible -- even likely -- that you will come over a rise, any rise, and find

yourself looking down the hill at 30 skiers in various forms of disarray.  all in the way.

it can be different on weekends, admittedly, but weekends are fairly consistent.

carving would be impossible.

my point:  loveland is a great carving mountain, and i try to keep in mind what a great 

place we have.

cheers.

pc

• Like 2

Well said Pete.

I love Lovey.  Its a no frills riders mountain, it is not a destination, it never will be, it is too small even though it has a ton of terrain. I love the fact that all the chairs are fixed grip, and mountain management refuses to increase uphill capacity and dilute the product that they have. Mountain capacity is further limited by the lack of availability for additional parking. It is a tough place to ride at times, though we have gotten off easy lately, the wind and the cold have not been as severe as it has in the past. The vibe is about as old school as it can get, and I love the fact that it is staffed by funky mountain town people from Georgetown and Idaho Springs. Lovey is truly a diamond in the rough, no amount of polishing is ever going to make it "World Class" like some of its neighbors on the other side of the divide. Lovey is a blue collar mountain, just the way I like it.

​Sunday, 12/27

​Crowds were nowhere near what I expected for Christmas week, maybe it was the cold and the slight breeze that kept people away, -10f in the lot early on when I pulled in. Rather bracing and invigorating. Grooming was inconsistent off of reload, that might of had something to do with the stalled groomer at the bottom of the unloading ramp. It certainly provided a fair amount of entertainment as the never ever and not so good riders began to stack up like cordwood as they attempted to exit. I found a few soft spots on the practice field, firecut, and drifter, and decided that I might be safer over at 6. One quick editorial comment, riding terrain over your head does not make you a better rider, it just puts you in survival mode and pisses off everyone that is waiting for you to ever so slowly clear the run, and still leaves you a shitty rider. This became quite obvious after 3 or 4 runs on roulette, our beautifully executed slopeside etchings were wreaking havoc on those unfortunate souls that had wandered where they shouldn't have. We had inadvertently declared trench warfare on these stylistic and ability challenged nitwits, and managed to take out about half a dozen or so. Learn to ride before you drop steeper pitches, and get off my lawn! We stayed over there til' 11, then I went back to 1 and managed to get 2 unimpeded/I am the only one on this run/top to bottom Spillway /Richards non stops. The snow, and those runs were sublime

On the hill today in order of appearance: The Dude, moi, Mr. Positive, a recovering Racer H,  Shelly, Racer Nicole, as well as a few other random hardbooters

Of note, some thing is going on with the cocoa porter, it just aint tasting right

mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1

One quick editorial comment, riding terrain over your head does not make you a better rider, it just puts you in survival mode and pisses off everyone that is waiting for you to ever so slowly clear the run, and still leaves you a shitty rider. Learn to ride before you drop steeper pitches, and get off my lawn!

Hey man! We're all snowboarding brethren. There's no call for you to judge style and ability. If they're having fun, they have every right to be out enjoying the mountain...

Whoa, that was disorienting. Just trying out my new Sensitive Man Personality for 2016. Did that sound as awkward as it felt?

• Like 2

Hey man! We're all snowboarding brethren. There's no call for you to judge style and ability. If they're having fun, they have every right to be out enjoying the mountain...

Whoa, that was disorienting. Just trying out my new Sensitive Man Personality for 2016. Did that sound as awkward as it felt?

why yes, yes it did. I am practicing my cranky old man personality as I advance deeper into my 50's

Am I succeeding?

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1

why yes, yes it did. I am practicing my cranky old man personality as I advance deeper into my 50's

Am I succeeding?

It's getting there. What you really need is to bring a rake with you to Loveland to shake at the youngsters as you tell them to get off your lawn. And a pair of old stretch pants you can hike up to chest level.

• Like 2

It's getting there. What you really need is to bring a rake with you to Loveland to shake at the youngsters as you tell them to get off your lawn. And a pair of old stretch pants you can hike up to chest level.

Thanks for the suggestions Nate, I like the way you think, and where this is going.  I think I need to up the ante a bit however, and go with a weed wacker, and maybe a pair of those mid 70's brown plaid sansabelt polyester pants, you wouldn't happen to have a line on where I might find a pair, would you?

mario

• Like 2

...maybe a pair of those mid 70's brown plaid sansabelt polyester pants, you wouldn't happen to have a line on where I might find a pair, would you?

You mean besides the pair I'm wearing this very minute, comfortably cinched over the top of my paunch? No. But I'll keep an eye out at the Golden Goodwill!

• Like 2

You mean besides the pair I'm wearing this very minute, comfortably cinched over the top of my paunch? No. But I'll keep an eye out at the Golden Goodwill!

38x30

Once again, like FedEx, you deliver!

Nicely done sir! Keep up the good work

Mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1