Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

Thanks Nate, I try,  My abs, neck and ribs on my right side are definitely none too pleased with me at the moment.You made the right call, we went up there for nostalgias sake, the view and to do the "indy 500" turns at the bottom of rookie road.  there was plenty of ice to be found off of, and on the groom as well, you weren't missing anything by staying off of 9

Edited by big mario

post-1310-0-42021600-1426606720_thumb.jp

Caution: no Loveland content!

I just got my renewal notice for my Aspen Classic Pass. The photo shows a carver (soft-boot) on a run on Ajax (North American maybe?) on virgin corduroy. 

The caption says "This never gets old"

Pretty cool.

Got out on Wheels today.

NTM for a less than quick lap, first ride since I tore my meniscus last June. It was good

Long term forecast=bad news for snow, good news for hitting the trails.  Inky, what's you back yard looking like? might try to head that way next Saturday am.

On the hill tomorrow, see ya then

mario

I suck.

Spring has arrived with severious melt freeze, making any flaws in technique painfully obvious.  Ice, Odd Job and myself spent a bunch of time on easier stuff after I flailed horribly on anything with the slightest bit o pitch. None of that Colorado hero snow to be found anywhere, must have moved to the east coast.  Reminds me of the session.  Bike on Saturday, attempt to carve next  sunday

mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1

Took Friday off & went to Loveland with my soft-boot buddy (Gregory). I hadn't soft-booted all season. Friday was not the day to start. Serious melt - freeze. We did several runs on #8 and then came back over the top to #4. The worst run of the season. The worst run in memory. At the "end" of the day (about noon) I remarked that if this was snowboarding, I wouldn't be a snowboarder. 

Calling all carvers. I have a pro photographer coming to take some pics of the LCI Carvers. He is a very published guy and I don't know where he will use the pics but It might be good for the carving community. SO bring your "A" game... and lets show him what the LCI is capable of.

Don

Feed the Addiction... :eplus2:

• Like 1

saturday conditions:  it's trying very hard to be melt freeze, but there was still consistent snow.

top of 2 was fine, then drifter was funky. 

under 6 was good snow with an iffy groom.

we spent most of our time off 6 on the run that heads down to the cabin: consistent, excellent snow.

enjoy sunday.

pc

Calling all carvers. I have a pro photographer coming to take some pics of the LCI Carvers....

Hopefully your LCI photo shoot was a success. There were a number of deep carves memorialized in the granite that Loveland textured to look like snow on Firecut this morning. I'm assuming they were your collateral damage...

• Like 1

The pics have yet to be seen, but the "shoot" went well. Trenches that survived the afternoon AND the groomer ???

Mario on a Virus is one bad ass combo is all I can say...  Could have been Ice or the "unknown" rider but no one leaves their mark like the big guy does... :biggthump

Don

Feed the Addiction... :eplus2:

• Like 1

I am a camera whore

One of the pics from sunday, I love my placid appearance juxtaposed with the extreme violence of the board bending, as well as the snow contrails swirling, just a cool shot!

post-724-0-59859700-1428114571_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Conditions were surprisingly nice today. Snow was firm and grippy in spots and soft enough in others to feel surfy. Someone was ripping professional grade carves down Roulette on what looked like about a 185. My wife is watching from the lift and turns to me and says, "Whoa, that's cool." From which you can infer that she's never seen me ripping professional grade carves down Roulette, or anywhere else. A nice emasculating moment for me.

Got up on the ridge in the afternoon and hit Jelly Roll three times. It was tracked but still soft underfoot, making the little hike worthwhile. And only the foolish and the determined get as far as that gate, so I was alone. Hope it holds up for the weekend crowd!

• Like 1

we move on . . .

The brutal honesty. It's why we prize our loved ones, right? No worries on this end. The fact that we were on a chair at Loveland took the edge off things. She could tell me that I hadn't the stuff to be Liberace's lickspittle, and I'd be okay with it because I'm on a chair at Loveland, which is one of my favorite places to be. Besides, manliness is overrated, especially once you're married.

• Like 1

Warning! Non-hardboot content follows!:

Took Friday off work & headed to Loveland. Drive up took over 2 hours.  Genesee was backed up. Jacknifed semi on Georgetown hill blocked traffic for about 30 minutes. Thought several times that I wouldn't make it. Met Monodude in the lodge.

Lift #1 opened at 9AM but it was the only lift running for about an hour. I guess the lifties and patrol got stranded by the traffic. At least a foot of new. Eventually #4, #6 & #2 opened. #9 never opened. Don't know about #8. 

I was riding softies on my Burton Fish. The BEST conditions (not for carving) of the season for me. Fresh tracks all morning. Don was on his Monster mono and was out-running everyone on the hill. Don quit about noon. I continued until just after 1PM. Rode the lift with a bunch of guys who said they just got there at 11AM. I-70 was closed on & off all morning. 

Likely my last day of the season. I'll be interested to hear if it is carveable on Sunday (I doubt it). 

The snow pretty much sucked this season but this is a great end.

To paraphrase Fridtjof Nansen: It is better to go snowboarding and think of God than to go to church and think of sport.

Just remember: any cat can make corduroy. Only God can make powder.

Hope to see all of you next season. 

I like to think of myself as a realist. I don't go in much for crazy thinking. But sometimes, I get this sense that Loveland may be possessed by the devil. Or built over an ancient burial ground. Or something. There are just these moments when everything is great, then all of a sudden the whole place goes dark and seems to growl "Get Out!" in that deep, gutteral way that things possessed by the devil do. It happened today. The morning was fantastic; sun, warm, grippy groom, thick soft on the Ridge. Jelly Roll and Castle rock were outstanding. Then, in one chair ride, the temperature drops 15 degrees, thick clouds descend, the wind starts howling and conjures up miniature ice pellets with sharp edges. And all that soft snow turned to crusty, frozen death manhole covers.  But I stayed out, you know, thinking that maybe the demonic possession would clear up the same way it started. My last run off the Ridge and to the base area was seeing-eye-dog stuff. I'm sure I was going way to fast for this conditions, but with limited visibility, there was no way to really tell. But I did see this little fella wobbling around on Jelly Roll on that last run.

Ptarmigan

All that said, there was no place I'd rather have been today. Even if Loveland is possessed by the devil, it's my kind of devil.

Mashed potatos. Starchy, glutinous, mashed potatoes mixed with taffy and that old paste we all used to use in elementary school with that distinctive smell. Or if you've ever made gnocchi, you know what I'm talking about. I spent all day trying to get the hang of the snow and just couldn't. I either had too much or not enough leverage. Didn't really matter; I had my six year-old with me. Didn't nearly kill any ptarmigans today, but my daughter swears she saw a butterfly in the snow. She stood over this thing in the middle of the run for two minutes. A beautiful butterfly. Or maybe, she says, a moth. To a six year-old, they interchangeable and beautiful. To me, that's like confusing a bird and a bat. And then there was the lightning. Gotta be wearing your man pants at Loveland. Evidently the snow on the ridge has been good and they're running the cat through Sunday if anyone's able to close out the season. I would have loved to take the daughter up there today, but the lifetime of recriminations that would have been waiting for me at home took the shine off that idea. Next year though...

• 1 month later...

My baby has been dormant long enough, bunch of slackers

Even though I saw some of you knucklehead's last Saturday, I figure I might start missing some of you in another month or so, so it's BBQ Time! open to any BOL member reading this thread,and a guest or two, just let me know so I can plan accordingly.  if you have my numba, text me and let me know, if not, reply here.  On the menu : Smoked Beer Butt Chicken, pork shoulder, baby backs, brisket, dem awesome beans, and my slaw.  Bring your own damn beer, and a small side or desert if you would like. 3161 west Denver place, Denver. I 70 to federal south, and right on to west Denver place, look for the older f-twofiddy on the right once you pass grove.  6pm july fourth

Edited by big mario
  • Like 3