Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

One Inch of New Snow! Break out the powder boards!

So - An hour on the lifts with one run on "very firm" snow. Beer at 10AM. Sounds like a true Loveland day.

In past years I sort of knew when it was my last day / last run. I may have already taken my last run and didn't even know it.

So - An hour on the lifts with one run on "very firm" snow. Beer at 10AM. Sounds like a true Loveland day.

John,

We actually managed 4 runs, but it was tough to get any kind of rythym when your front leg and ass cheek are asleep from being on those no footrest lifts for so long. I didnt' mind the firmness of the snow, I just was not in the mood for sitting on the lift wondering when it was going to fire up again when there was a perfectly good pint or 2 calling my name

mario

post-6992-141842365021_thumb.jpg

A nice cool day for solo carving at Lovey. An inch or two of new over a nice firm groom. Firecut, Roulette and Chets (under 8) were nicely groomed. Two fun boards to ride. Should be more fun tomorrow with Tony and Kevin to ride with.

post-6992-141842365019_thumb.jpg

Edited by arneburner
add info

Nice day at Loveland. I arrived real early and took a spot at the LCI Round Table of Awesomeness. Kevin shows up around 8:20 and is fielding phone calls from others on the way. Arne, and Tony arrive and we all go up #1, but not before I fall on my butt entering the load because it is just a block of ice. The weather is sunny and brisk with little wind as we ride down to the #2 mid load and go up. Firecut is groomed nicely from the lift towers out to about 2/3s the width of the run. Good enough. Drifter is open again, and the jump from last week is now gone.

Out onto the bowl, the surface is surprisingly soft. The new snow of the past two days has been preserved well by the low temps, and the runs are almost buttery. Firecut soon has deep ruttage. In most places, you really can't feel the ice from last week. It is down there somewhere, but well hidden today. Pete and Matt arrive next and we all gather on #6 to tear up Roulette several times. Next back to #1 where we found Spillway/Richards to be in excellent shape. Around 11:30 I hit the lodge to quickly eat, then headed out on my own to the Valley. Switchback was good. It was firmer than many of the runs in the Basin and was fast. I left around 1:30 with the parking lot only 60% full. It was getting pretty warm by the time I left, but maybe it won't be so warm to thaw much. Tomorrow could be good firm grooming.

Did anybody go to Chet's today?

Here's a montage of riding shots.

post-8519-141842365483_thumb.jpg

Firecut from #2

post-8519-141842365493_thumb.jpg

Roulette from #6

post-8519-141842365496_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Was up wensday. Very hard groomers. It softened up later in the day and I had a blast riding chair 4 when it was soft. I will be going up Sunday and it should get warm enough to soften again. I will be riding chair 4 as soon as it is soft as I would rather ride softer snow than hard groomed snow.It is supposed to get up to 49 on Sunday so should be good if you like slushy snow. I rode last sunday as well and the groomed snow was very hard and I rode slush later in the day and had a blast. The groomed runs softened up earlier in the day last Sunday then they did on Wensday. I think the snow will soften up earlier this Sunday as it is not supposed to be as cold at night? the other nice thing about last Sunday was light traffic. i rode the whole day and left after 4 p.m. and drove straight home. Spring conditions- ride the slush and have fun on your all mountain set up!

I'm finally getting back out to Loveland next weekend. Probably a bad weekend to expect lots of carvers... but waiting didn't seem like the best idea either. Anyone planning to be there?

Teach,

It's a 50/50 chance that someone will be at the hill. With the nice weather on the frontrange many have already started their summer activities. Keep us informed of your plans.

Ink

Teach,

what JP said. You should feel right at home, we have had some seriours melt freeze as of late, so the snow has been firm to double extra firm. Bring metal if you got it. Switch back is awesome, and should soften up well before the rest of the basin. Right now I am planning on being up on Sunday, albeit for a short day, may have to ride really hard and skip post ride bloviating and beers, and we should have a few others. They just got 6.3" of new, and temps are forecasted to stay below the mid 40's for later on in the week, so conditions should be good. Pay attention towards the lower reaches of the hill, it is getting thin

mario

Teach,

Haven't been up in a couple of weeks due to warm weather and associated activities, but definitely planning on Sunday. And with the recent snow, others may show up as well.

The season is coming to an end way too soon and the weather report is more warm weather!!! :rolleyes:

SO WHO ELSE IS IN FOR SUNDAY?????

James

Wednesday: Yet Another Muddy Parking Lot Day

Up #1 and #2 at open. The top of #2 has much of the new blown off of it. It is flat and smooth but the ice underneath is apparent in places. Firecut is groomed 2/3 wide from the towers but is not at all flat. It must have been a moundy mess yesterday and just got one pass. Drifter and Turtle Creek are ok. Conditions in general are variable and inconsistent. Over on #6, Roulette is simultaneously soft in places and icy in others. Richard's is ok, but the hard underlayer is noticeable. Around 11:30 I hit Switchback and it didn't disappoint. By this time it was a little soft, but it was fine, despite showing a little bit of brown on the edges. Four carvers total plus a Blasphemer. Quite warm when I drove out at 12:45.

teach, I know you've been out there a couple times in the past, but IF you haven't already, do yourself a favor and take Rt. 6 back to the Dillion/Silverthorne area.

When you leave Lovey Parking Lot, go RIGHT (up over Rt.6) instead of left (back to I-70).

When you go up 'Switchback Lift', at the top look up and you will see a guardrail.

When you go up Rt.6, you'll know where the name 'Switchback' came from. You can pull over and look right down on the trail from the road.

It then continues on down and arond A-Basin and Keystone. Lovely scenery for flatlander folk (like me).

And don't forget the 'Blue River Special' @ The Sunshine Cafe this time :D .

. Four carvers total plus a blasphemer.

awesome work :eplus2::biggthump Additional shout out to ICE, first place in slalom!

780 Kevin Eisenman Silverthorne, Co

Hot Rod Race Wax Dot Com Red Oak Development, Llc The Lci

Rocky Mtn

22.27 2200..0088 42.35

2 784 Kenneth Boivin Concord, Nh N. Hampshire

20.83 2211..8822 42.65

3 779 Jeff Pollock Layton, Ut Intermountain

23.29 2211..5544 44.83

4 777 Scott Alden Herriman, Ut Intermountain

24.05 2222..8877 46.92

5 773 Risley Sams San Francisco, Ca

My Visa Card & Demosport - San Rafael, Ca

South Tahoe

24.87 2222..1177 47.04

6 786 Alex Juhasz Bondville, Vt S. Vermont

24.05 2233..7744 47.79

7 787 Steve Ashkarian Manhattan Beach, Ca San Gabriel

25.33 2244..3333 49.66

8 785 Paul Price Park City, Ut

Www.utahpowdertours.com

Intermountain

24.92 2255..8866 50.78

9 793 Scott Dieterman Buena Park, Ca So Cal

26.42 2266..0055 52.47

10 775 Dave Matthews Millis, Ma Maine Mtn.

31.84 2211..9944 53.78

11 791 Michael Dann Hingham, Ma

Michael Dann Painting

Maine Mtn.

29.45 2288..4422 57.87

12 774 Jimmy Simon Silverthorne, Co

Never

Edited by big mario

Thanks, everyone. JP1 -- yes, I agree, that's nice scenery. I took Rt 6 around a few times and will again. Got the Blue River last time also -- definitely getting it again.

Mario -- I have gotten into the habit of bringing three boards when I go out in these conditions: the 185 Ogasaka I got from Excelsior, just in case our one wide run is open and empty; my 180 Coiler RCII (one of Bruce's first metal boards, he tells me), great when it softens up but doesn't work for me on extra-firm (not sure why, other than bad technique), and a 172 Proton for extra-firm conditions (a little scary in softer snow). I doubt I can get away with three on the plane, so I'll have some decidin' to do.

Teach,

Leave the '85 home and bring the other 2, you can always switch up in the middle of the day, or get some coaching from any one of us. I will tell you now it is going to be fast, so be sure to pack confidence, a board you are comfy on, and your balls ;) and all will be well. See you sunday,

mario

I need to add this little tidbit from erikj about riding ice and firm 'cause it is so absoPhukinglutley awesome:

Originally Posted by Erik J

At the top of the run, grab your balls with one hand and beat your chest with the other like a wild silverback gorilla. Tell the mountain "I'm coming, do not f@$k with me."

Edited by big mario
adding supreme awesomeness from ERIK J

planning on tomorrow...

I need to add this little tidbit from erikj about riding ice and firm 'cause it is so absoPhukinglutley awesome:

Originally Posted by Erik J

At the top of the run, grab your balls with one hand and beat your chest with the other like a wild silverback gorilla. Tell the mountain "I'm coming, do not f@$k with me."

way to copy the signature that I've had for a while, Mr. Original :rolleyes:

:D

Geeee, didn't know, havn't seen you for a while....:rolleyes: not copying, that is some severiously funny$hit by mr.j that needed additional acknowledgement and repitition

mario

Edited by big mario