Note to New Members ×

Best Softie Carving Boots (currently being made)?

fishrising

Anyone seen the Malamutes, Driver-X or Northwaves in a US size 15 or maybe a 14? I've looked at several online stores and the biggest they seem to go is 13. Now the big online dealer who does snowboarding, skateboarding, wake-boarding and windsurfing has many boots in 15, but I do not which ones are the stiffest of the bunch.

I like the driver and ion the best, when it comes to softboots I've always lkiked burton even though the comfort factor is low with burton for wide feet.

the boots hold together and perform, most companies make stuff that does one of the two.

there's plenty of burton haters here but their softboot line is solid. I say thing as some one who puts more demands on a softboot than most people ever would. walking to work and then bumping chairs all day and then walking home in a boot will kill it quick, here's the run down. Vans osprey two months, Northwave ??? 2 weeks, burton drifter still one piece after two seasons of being a liftie, burton driver 2 seasons and still intact I actually just gave that set of boots to gleb. Burton driver X, 1 season as a liftie and one as a occasional outing boot, still in great condition. I had some ions that I'd use on my days off that I bought with the intent of not beating up so I always had a nice pair of boots and they were great too but the drivers were more solid IMHO.

I've ridden the Malamutes for 3 years and I really like them. My son has the Driver-X and they are very stiff also, but the Malamutes have a lot of extra features - a strap that holds the heel down firmly, better lacing system and I like the exterior better. Size for size, the burton is slightly larger in your bindings. The insert is heat moldable around the heel-ankle area, I which refit it at the beginning of each year.

It's been a while since I've been in the soft boots & don't know if they are still available or not, but I Love my Drivers. So much so, that I went out and bought another pair so IF they were to be discontinued, I'd still have a brandy new pair in reserve. Too bad they're only size 10, as at this point I'll probably never use them.

They still make Malamutes. I had a pair for about 7 years, they finally got too soft and I tried on both new Malamutes and the Driver X as well as some softer models in both brands, wound up buying the Driver X. Size for size their footprint is bigger than the Malamutes. But I fit into a smaller size in Burton than in Salomon and it evens out. I chose based on fit above all else. Last time around 7 years ago, the Burtons fit like crap - they've changed something!

I went shopping for soft boot this year for the first time. I looked for Malamutes first, I was already "sold" by all comments I found about them in my search for the best boot. Then I tried the Driver X because the seller told me they are stiffer. By trying both of them (just walking), I found the Driver's more comfortable and stiffer...

Then I had the chance to try DC's boots. They are maybe as comfortable as the Malamute but not like the Driver x. But WAY stiffer than both I tried. If you like boa system, look at the Status first (USA only), if not Allegiance model. If you prefer lace system, Methvin is the one to go with!

It is all about preferences, for me I went DC without questioning!

I've seen some 15 Allegiance on feebay for like $130 buy it now new because I guess it is a massive size :biggthump

Then I had the chance to try DC's boots. They are maybe as comfortable as the Malamute but not like the Driver x. But WAY stiffer than both I tried. If you like boa system, look at the Status first (USA only), if not Allegiance model. If you prefer lace system, Methvin is the one to go with!

It is all about preferences, for me I went DC without questioning!

I've seen some 15 Allegiance on feebay for like $130 buy it now new because I guess it is a massive size :biggthump

I had the Allegiance before switching to the Malamute. It is a nice boot. I loved the dual zone boa system for dialing in your perfect feel and yes it did feel fairly stiff in the shop. The boot is designed to flex more like a ski/SB boot in that the material doesn't deform around the ankle, the upper cuff hinges over the bottom by design. Most boots offer some of their stiffness from material deformation(sideways buldging) around the ankle. After riding it I didn't think it was as stiff because of the smooth flexing design, therefore the switch to Malamutes.

Ink

I had the Allegiance before switching to the Malamute. It is a nice boot. I loved the dual zone boa system for dialing in your perfect feel and yes it did feel fairly stiff in the shop. The boot is designed to flex more like a ski/SB boot in that the material doesn't deform around the ankle, the upper cuff hinges over the bottom by design. Most boots offer some of their stiffness from material deformation(sideways buldging) around the ankle. After riding it I didn't think it was as stiff because of the smooth flexing design, therefore the switch to Malamutes.

Ink

I agree with you, the Allegiance is designed to flex straight forward without breaking the stiffness around the ankle. So you have no deformation by using them but eventually they will flex more forward in relation of the use you do with them. So I use a binding with a third strap and I have the best of both world!

I really like my Burton Driver X boots that I bought this year.I only have a few days in them and they work great. I rode them today on the Dupraz d1 in deep powder and all over the mountain in various snow conditions and they are the best soft boots I have ridden. They are stiffer than the deluxe spark that I was riding before and I feel that they are stiffer than the Malamutes as I tried both on before buying.. I felt that the Malamutes were way too soft for me and I like the stiff sole on the driver X. I just hope they continue to make this boot. It is supposed to be the stiffest soft boot on the market. The Deluxe spark is no longer being made as Deluxe says it is too stiff for people to jib on. That is sad as there are a lot of riders who are not into that and like a stiffer soft boot for high performance free riding.