Note to New Members ×

What's the best choice for shipping a board in Canada?

skategoat

NEVER EVER use UPS. They will charge you expensive brokerage fees on top of duties/tax ( GST ), EVERYTIME, no matter what the cost of the item. I got caught once with a $15 Ebay item, where I paid $1 of tax but $55 USD of brokerage fees:AR15firin. If I can't go around, I avoid the seller.

I had three pairs of skis / boards shipped via USPS last year and went flawless. Some ( ??!!?? ) post office thought will not accept longer than 5 feet (?) box, but not all of them, why ?

Superbee

Use USPS. As was pointed out above UPS will ding the recipient for brokerage fees that can add a significant amount to the cost. A couple of irate customers cured me of ever using UPS to Canada again.

USPS allows a length plus girth limit of 108 inches to Canada so you won't have any size problems.

We almost always use CanadaPOST due to our payment methods but... We have on occasion used Grey Coach COD bus service and it was cheap & fast. Only problem is that it goes station to station so you need to drop it off at the terminal and the recipient must pickup at a terminal.

Have shipped boards with greyhound with no problems,

* of note there is a greyhound depot in Whistler right at the pedestrian entrance to the parkade at Creekside*

Never have shipped a board with Canada post, but other items have all been no problem, I think there might be more size limitations with canada post ( but dont quote me on that)

* In whistler there is a post office down by the IGA in main village, not sure about creekside*

+ 1 for Canada Post and Greyhound. I have shipped and received with both companies. As stated above, with Greyhound, you have to drop off at the terminal, and have the recipient pick up at the terminal. But very cost effective, especially from BC to Ontario.

D.:biggthump

Just an fyi on the transboarder shipping. From what I can remember either I THINK UPS but it may have been FEDEX, includes brokerage when you ship International Priority. The cost of shipping is obviously higher but the payoff is in shipping high value goods. Their Brokearge scale is based on declared value and if its worth something you will declare true value so that you have adequate insurance. So you can ship via this method, declare full value and not get nailed with high brokerage fees, just pay the taxes on that value when you receive it.

The only other option is to live close to the boarder so you can drive across and pick it up a a postal outlet yourself. If you have alot of things to pickup this can save you huge in both shipping fee's and brokerage.