Note to New Members ×

What's your stance width?

redriver

On the "heels" of the very informative posts on cants and lifts, please post your stance width(s) and be sure to list the associated board, its length, your height and ...inseam.

I'll start with:

19.5" on a Prior 175 WCR, I'm 6-1 and a 33" inseam

On soft gear I ride wider, and I tried a wider stance on a freecarve board, but it was painful. Adjusted it to mimic the above and it rode much better.

50cm (19 3/4 in.) on a Madd 170, I have a 32-33" inseam and I'm about 5' 11" tall. Last season I rode with 0* front, 3* rear lift. I broke my inside cant adjuster (right one on left boot) on my front boot, so I think I was flexing too far inward, so this season I am going to try 3* front cant also. FWIW I ride centered, which is a little forward on the inserts.

I've never actually measured my stance width, I just slap my binders on a board at what looks right & adjust with my pocket tool on the 1st run or 2.

With a 32 inseam I go about 19.5-20 on 180+ and as little as 18 on a 159 slalom, add an inch or two for powder days.

3* inward cants no lift toe or heel.

I rode 16-17" for many years, which was the centered stance on the Burton UP and Alps that I rode, with the bindings pretty much flat on the board. I am 5'7" with a 32" inseam (long legs, short torso). Last season I learned of the trend toward wider stances and I'm still experimenting.

There are several rules of thumb listed on the carver's almanac and in the tech articles here. One is to set it at your shoulder width, one is 0.607 X inseam, and one is to set it at the distance from the floor to your knee. My shoulders aren't very wide, but my lower leg is very long, so these rules give me a very wide range, from about 17.5" to 21".

On my Prior AWD 164 I went with about 19.3", which is the center of the inserts. Binding angles are 54/51 With the bindings flat I was getting wavy heelside carves, indicating that I was twisting the board. I then installed a 7-degree rear cant and this stance works pretty well now.

On my Madd 158 my width is around 17.5-18". Based on the binding marks, this is where the previous owner set his bindings too. It feels very comfortable with the bindings flat and angles of 63/60.

I recently got a new Prior WCR metal 173 and I'll start around 19.5" with angles of 60/55 and 3 degree front toe lift and 3 degree rear heel lift.

Remember that to use a wider stance many people need more cant and/or lift to be comfortable and to prevent twisting the board.

BTW, Prior advertises a stance width range of 17 - 22", but my measurements show that they are actually 16.5 - 21.5".

30" inseam, 6* gas pedal on front and 3* heel lift on back

on skinny boards (under 19.5cm waist) I ride "higher" angles (i.e. 55/50) and set the stance at ~19.75"

on wide boards (over 19.5cm waist) I ride lower angles (50/45 or 45/40) and set the stance at ~19.5"

my soft set-up has the widest stance, don't know the actual measurement

constantly evolving

:lol:

Me too. Last few seasons it's generally been between 19.25" and 20.5". Rolfing, massage therapy, etc makes enough changes to my biomechanics that I need to tweak my stance at the beginning of each season. 30-31" inseam, I usually go flat on front foot and minor heel lift on back, no canting.

I have 3 boards (generics IQ 1,70,elan balistic 1,71 and an oxygen 1,69 all mountain F2002)and on all of them the stance width doesnt go farther than 52,5cm or 20,70 intches and that means that when i set them up like that the rear bindind has at least 4-5 cm longer distance then the front binding from the centre of the running length,i am 6,3 with an inseam of 36 so i need to have a wide stance but i can't have more than 18-19 intches without beening to off centered!

What am i doing wrong?