Note to New Members ×

Any photos of the FinTec heel internals?

Gunnar

• 11 months later...

I posted a bunch last season: http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=226339#post226339

A key point is that you NEED to push down on your heel before you pull the cable up. You'll break the cables on the F2 or the Fintecs if you don't. I pull up lightly and push down progressively on my heel until it releases. It takes surprisingly little force on the handle with this method.

It's plastic.

I broke one in half the week before SES this past season. I had my F2 Intec heels installed in my Head SPs for 2-3 years before that plastic piece broke in half. I went to SES knowing I could get a replacement. I wanted to just buy the internal plastic piece but bomber does not sell just that piece. So I just bought a new set of Fin Techs and the new TD3 receiver for my TD2's.

Oddly enough I broke the same piece of plastic the next day while at SES. Fin was even boggled as to why. He asked if I was pulling really hard on the cables but I just pull them up like anybody else? :confused: Fin was kind enough to replace them at no charge and I felt really bad that he had to eat a set of Fin Techs. Now I'm just super cautious whenever I pull that cable. I think the tip of pushing down on your heel while pulling up on the cable handle is a excellent tip. It creates the least amount of friction on the pins when disengaging the heels.

The kicker is there is a specific left and right heel and the same applies for that plastic piece on the internal. You cannot take the plastic piece from the left heel and put it in the right heel and vice versa. I believe the actual cable is attached to this plastic piece which creates the problem.

If Fin would create a "bomber" version of this piece I would gladly buy it. Having my boots stuck to my board twice on the mountain now really sucked. Sitting on the lift with your back foot stuck in the binding is not an option either. It just doesn't work. Luckily my buddy Sean carried a leatherman with him and we were able to push the pins in one side at a time to release my rear foot. You could probably use a ski pole in a pinch too.

I've been on Intec heels since pretty much since they came out and as we ride these silly bunny hills here so i need to open them many times per hour to get to lift. And i've been braking quite many cables, mainly due wear. Never broken any internal parts of Intecs. So i dont see much real need to upgrade them internally due that would certainly be visible on price tag. I'm now on Fintecs and even happier due less wear on pin holes.

Just my opinion :rolleyes:

Given the similarities between the intec heel and the fintec heel I'm guessing that the internals of both are made from mostly off the shelf parts ... which would mean that Bomber and Intec are getting off-the-shelf components from the same OEM, or that Intec is selling the internal components directly to Bomber (that seems unlikely to me). The one exception that I can see to this would be the pins that stick out of the Fintecs, which are heat-treated to be harder than the steel heel receiver for the fintec. That's just a guess, but If either of those scenarios are true, changing these internal components in any way is going to make manufacturing the heels way, way more expensive ... How much more would you be willing to pay for aluminum or steel internals?

As Corey pointed out, if you pull up on your heels while pulling up on the cables you are putting unnecessary stress on the cable and lever. Press down with your heel slightly while pulling up the cable and you will exit very easily.

I'll never go back to standard bindings.

I've ridden on Intecs for 3-4 seasons now and I love them. My post was not intended to be negative on Intec or Fintech. I've never had any problems until last season and when it rained it poured. It was really strange that lightning struck me twice. :confused:

Just want to clarify that my experience was probably just a fluke.

OTOH I don't think it would be hard to fabricate this small piece of plastic into a more bombproof form, but I don't see Fin putting the effort into this unless more failures like mine start to happen. If anything I could see him stocking these specific plastic parts?

Here's a picture of what happened to mine:

heelzw9.jpg

getting out of Intec or Fintec heels is a two-step process.

1, pull the cable.

2, lift heel up.

If you combine steps 1 and 2 together, you'll shorten the life of the heels. To be sure you aren't pulling up during step 1, you should put weight on the heel you're releasing. Once the pins are retracted, then you pull your heel up.