Note to New Members ×

Kildy flex

Mike Kildevaeld

37 minutes ago, dredman said:

@Mike Kildevaeld it would be great to have you join us at the Montucky Clear CUT this year so the carving population could try your stuff.  Contact me for details. 

www.montuckyclearcut.com

I need a reason to travel, I could do that let me know the details. People do need to try ONESKI to understand it.  Not possible to explain the feel, thank you for your invitation, I will contact you by email?

1 minute ago, Mike Kildevaeld said:

I need a reason to travel, I could do that let me know the details. People do need to try ONESKI to understand it.  Not possible to explain the feel, thank you for your invitation, I will contact you by email?

Check out the website he linked. Really well worth the effort to get there. Private mountain all to ourselves. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike Kildevaeld said:

People do need to try ONESKI to understand it.  Not possible to explain the feel.....

Actually, just looking at the mechanism images you've posted here and available on the OneSki website, I suspect most people here who have ridden a sliding axle isolation plate on an alpine snowboard will know pretty much what it feels like. And that's quite a few of us.

The fundamental flaw in your design is the very short effective interaxle distance. Your axles are effectively between the bindings. On other plate designs that has given riders the feeling of being on a diving board!
Fin's Bomber Boiler Plate axles were able to be outside the binding centres by some way.
The current snowboard racer's plate of choice, AllFlex, has the sliding hinges at the ends of their plate well over 70cm apart.

I'd also recommend you attend the Montucky Clear Cut. There are many riders on this Forum, who are far better riders than I am, who will be there and be able to really give your concept a proper test and comparison with modern construction alpine snowboards, with and without isolation plates.

Edited by SunSurfer

3 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Actually, just looking at the mechanism images you've posted here and available on the OneSki website, I suspect most people here who have ridden a sliding axle isolation plate on an alpine snowboard will know pretty much what it feels like. And that's quite a few of us.

The fundamental flaw in your design is the very short effective interaxle distance. Your axles are effectively between the bindings. On other plate designs that has given riders the feeling of being on a diving board!
Fin's Bomber Boiler Plate axles were able to be outside the binding centres by some way.
The current snowboard racer's plate of choice, AllFlex, has the sliding hinges at the ends of their plate well over 70cm apart.

I'd also recommend you attend the Montucky Clear Cut. There are many riders on this Forum, who are far better riders than I am, who will be there and be able to really give your concept a proper test and comparison with modern construction alpine snowboards, with and without isolation plates.

I placed there on purpose and even moved closer by 1 centimeter on purpose this year, to place the weight of the rider closer to the location of the skier's foot which the ski was designed for.  A strong 250 lbs. skier and I do mean strong stands right where my mounts are.  Also look at the thickness of a ski and how it transfers down to tip and tail (*the Key) and you will better understand my location.  If you look at snowboards, they are designed for feet far apart that is why they place out in front and also how would Allflex place them anywhere else anyway.  His design makes him have to do that, and he locks in center.  He just has a better design plate than anyone else in snowboarding period. because it really comes down to stiffness in the end and his is the best (in my opinion) the stronger the plate the better.  We place a ton of G forces in there and it is mostly torsional. So that is what we need to focus on.  I focused 100% on stiffness just look at my material MAGNESIUM 2 times stronger than aluminum 2 x lighter and 2 x more money as aluminum 6061. It is very good plate you will see at Montucky.  

I have been making plates much longer than anyone in the snowboarding industry trust me on that.  But I see your point from a snowboards point of view makes sense.  It is however a ski, so I did this way for the weight to ski transfer and if you notice on the bottom picture right under foot area, I place what is called a POWER BLOCK transfers the riders power straight to edges directly under foot, DREAMY not in front of foot, that is what you need.  I will say this also, no better hold on ice than this setup without a doubt, I am an east coaster that is always my goal.  Power transfer and hold on ice you will have no issues. It is year one for sale so improvements will always come, I did test for three years that is also rare as hell. Normally people do it for money, so they do not have patients. I did this to get better riders and more riders. Not to mention bring the ski industry into the mix so you all get more sponsors and bigger events.  In the end you will all appreciate what it is I have done. For now, I see myself as an intruder and I get it but please be patient.  I have slept 3 hours last night and 3 hours the night before and I will not proofread this sorry.  

Just now, Mike Kildevaeld said:

I placed there on purpose and even moved closer by 1 centimeter on purpose this year, to place the weight of the rider closer to the location of the skier's foot which the ski was designed for.  A strong 250 lbs. skier and I do mean strong stands right where my mounts are.  Also look at the thickness of a ski and how it transfers down to tip and tail (*the Key) and you will better understand my location.  If you look at snowboards, they are designed for feet far apart that is why they place out in front and also how would Allflex place them anywhere else anyway.  His design makes him have to do that, and he locks in center.  He just has a better design plate than anyone else in snowboarding period. because it really comes down to stiffness in the end and his is the best (in my opinion) the stronger the plate the better.  We place a ton of G forces in there and it is mostly torsional. So that is what we need to focus on.  I focused 100% on stiffness just look at my material MAGNESIUM 2 times stronger than aluminum 2 x lighter and 2 x more money as aluminum 6061. It is very good plate you will see at Montucky.  

I have been making plates much longer than anyone in the snowboarding industry trust me on that.  But I see your point from a snowboards point of view makes sense.  It is however a ski, so I did this way for the weight to ski transfer and if you notice on the bottom picture right under foot area, I place what is called a POWER BLOCK transfers the riders power straight to edges directly under foot, DREAMY not in front of foot, that is what you need.  I will say this also, no better hold on ice than this setup without a doubt, I am an east coaster that is always my goal.  Power transfer and hold on ice you will have no issues. It is year one for sale so improvements will always come, I did test for three years that is also rare as hell. Normally people do it for money, so they do not have patients. I did this to get better riders and more riders. Not to mention bring the ski industry into the mix so you all get more sponsors and bigger events.  In the end you will all appreciate what it is I have done. For now, I see myself as an intruder and I get it but please be patient.  I have slept 3 hours last night and 3 hours the night before and I will not proofread this sorry.  

Here is another video might be worth watching to understand more about the ONESKI Snowboard... It is tried by Chris Trap who is the brother of Mike Trap 2018 Winter Olympics and Michelle Gorgone 2006 Winter Olympics, She did not try it but she watched.  Chris is a good alpine rider, but he has a totally different stance then me.  I stand 21 inches wide he is like 17 -18 I guess? did not change (should have sorry Chris).  He rode it and you can see his first run for yourself no lessons were needed, and he is a regular footer same as me, goofy footers are also welcome.  (it is a snowboard for any doubters) such as at Nationals they all protested me lol.  Whatever but wow.  They said ski are faster than snowboards (Not true) snowboard's plane quicker and that is a simple fact proven long ago by team I road for 10 years "+M" Mark Fausett, Jay C Jay Anderson and Mike Jacoby pretty good team not to mention Tara Eberheart. How you get up to speed is by plaining.  Just think about being stepped on by a high heel shoe, ouch verses a pair of Van's sneakers big difference which shoe would plain quicker and slide down the hill of ice and snow. lol. Skis have a top speed record of 156 and a snowboard is 126 something like that, it is the body position nothing more.  (wax)

Anyway, back on track here watch Chris Trap try ONESKI Snowboard for the first time. I also had three people at USASA Nationals try the ONESKI and I followed them down no one needed lessons, and no one fell. They all got asked by me, "so what do you think"?  I expected this this is awesome or wow or something, but they all said same thing (lol) no joke "well it's a snowboard".  So obviously they went into the test by thinking it was not. I don't blame anyone for that thinking process, it looks crazy but rides great. And yes, they were all scared including me on that first run. There is a video of my first run as well I used ski pole, sorry but that is also how I learned to snowboard way back in the day, from a ski racer. 

It will scare anyone but trust me one run is all it takes you will be unscared after that. No worries.

ONESKI First run by Chris Trappy brother of Mike Trappy 2018 Olympics Alpine Snowboarder. - YouTube

I had a great phone call with @Mike Kildevaeld today and he is planning on joining us at MCC this year.  He is planning on bringing some demos for us to try and maybe even one for our MEGA Raffle!!  

Mike is so passionate about carving/racing it was really fun to get to chat with him.  I am really looking forward to getting to ride his gear!

4 hours ago, dredman said:

I had a great phone call with @Mike Kildevaeld today and he is planning on joining us at MCC this year.  He is planning on bringing some demos for us to try and maybe even one for our MEGA Raffle!!  

Mike is so passionate about carving/racing it was really fun to get to chat with him.  I am really looking forward to getting to ride his gear!

Yes, I enjoyed our call very much as well brought back some great memories.  I will be in Montana Jan 29 - Feb 1 for the MCC.  I will bring demos, also I will have a ONESKI plate with a pair of Stocklis skis attached for the MEGA Raffle.  Let's all figure out how to get there sounds like a blast, pray for hard snow two days and powder last two days.

Warren Miller, you coming?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jack M said:

I don't believe the Oneski has a sliding axle, or any kind of movement like Allflex or Apex, in which case this consideration is less important/relevant.

Jack M, I do have slides but totally different than the normal. They are able to be asymmetrical which is the key if you ask me, that is how I am currently riding them.  However, you can set it up as you wish, symmetrical, both front left-side and right-side locking or both left-side and right-side back locking.  Since there are two sets of sliders below and top plate you can have those appose each other which then is like a center lock, but not really maybe better to say free floating, I have not tried this yet.  I hope this does not sound confusing, I am not the best at writing, anyone notice yet? It is really easy to understand when in your hands working on it.  

• Like 2

I have launched the ONESKI new website it is far from done and any advice would be fantastic especially with my English, I am horrible.  It is going to still be a while till it is complete and I will be changing many things but at least you can see some information you may have questions about get answered.   The start is my favorite, lol it reminds me back in the day when I started skiing Tyrolia ski bindings advertisement in Skiing Magazine said.... "For Experts Only"  I had to have them now, lol so dumb, but I got them later on when I could finally get them.  I was 14 years old, dreaming of ski racing one day...  I was a cross country skier at the time, not by choice.

www.ONESKI.com

21 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

Find and look carefully at the exploded mechanism diagram.

That part of website has many more pictures and explanations coming.  But yes, it slides there are two slides one for the Magnesium plate and also on the ski derbies that mount to the skis are also sliding just like the race ski do but I made my own version which is narrower to allow the plate to go over and not hang over the ski edges.  But the red ski derbies are also sliding, and you can lock them where you like if you look carefully, you will see the aluminum screw washer things are round but then there are some ovel ones that is the lock.  Anyway, hard to explain but you will see this part soon be explained with diagrams probable not tonight it is 12 and I am tired. 

Slick website! My only input would be to change the "X" on the "Are you sure you're ready for this?" question to an enthusiastic "YES!" or something else that is affirmative. 

Here is a question and forgive me if I missed it somewhere in the history of this thread (just tell me to search the thread if this has already been covered), but are you considering producing or partnering up with a board/ski manufacturer to make "skis" designed specifically for the One Ski?  The one ski looks like it allows a unique flex profile for snowboarding, but could you enhance the performance by designing sidecuts and/or further optimizing flex that work even better with the plate?

"YES" is a great suggestion and boom it will be done as soon as I end my day here.  Love it thank you!!!!

The other answer is ???? not sure yet as far as the ski thing goes unless I can make the ski myself in Europe with ELAN I forget the name of that company I made my Ride Snowboards at but I will think about it because the ski companies HATE what I am doing lol makes me want to double down though.... They try to convince me not to use their skis basically lol I said I can mount them on a fireplace if I want after I buy them they want me to tell you all the warranty will not work if you use them for my application lol 30 years never used a warranty.

I was kinda thinking the same with some of the smaller manufacturers here.  Virus and Kessler make skis and Virus was really cool at doing a custom width on my last snowboard.

As far as grammar and terminology goes... I am unfamiliar with the term derby? And I can't find anything on google that relates derby to mechanical elements/ski parts.  Is this referring to the race plate on the skis or something else?

One last observation/question... I am assuming that the Mg plate has a pretty robust surface treatment that protects the metal from salt water?  A long time ago I started using my first mtb as a winter commuter and the slider (an Mg component) on the suspension fork had plenty of chipped paint.  After a couple of seasons through the Oslo sludge the sliders on the fork were starting to look like sponges after the salt water really pitted up the Mg.  I know that our local hill occasionally salts portions of one or more runs if needed for training/races, and they don't advertise that fact to the rest of the skiers on the hill.  I'm thinking that if somebody had collected some salted snow/slush under that plate without knowing, it could lead to problems (at least cosmetic) later on if it isn't rinsed off relatively quickly.  

For me, it will be fascinating to read actual rider's comparisons of
a OneSki with a modern race ski underneath
vs.
an AllFlex plate with a modern race snowboard underneath. 

(Sadly, I won't get to repeat my 2023 visit and attend MCC 2024)

As Mike has noted above, the OneSki puts the riders mass effect exactly where the ski designer intended it to be. An AllFlex plate / snowboard combo spreads the riders mass effect, and plate induced torsion control over a much greater length of edge. Both allow the ski/board edge to flex along its whole length.

Race ski vs. race snowboard - which has better edge hold and carving performance?

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...