Note to New Members ×

Anyone know anything about the UPZ RC-10's?

MUD

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I just had my first really awesome day on the RC10's. I can't believe I ever rode another boot. They're awesome. I feel like the boot flexes exactly the way that I want it to and is supportive at the same time while still providing plenty of lateral stiffness. The 5 buckle system helps to keep the pressure distributed. I set each buckle to just a little tighter to finger-tight and ride them all day long in total comfort (more on that later). I'm gonna be riding these until they break I sure, they totally blow away my old heads.

The stock liner does indeed suck, as I discovered. I spent my first day in the RC-10's (that was three and a quarter snow days ago) with the stock liner, figuring I would give it a shot. That was a bad idea: skip go, do not collect $200 and go straight to jail. Yes, it really is that uncomfortable ... I should have listened to everyone who was saying to toss them and start with a thermo. After torturing my feet for a day in the stock liners, I had The Starting Gate mould me a new pair of Dalbello Gold ID's. My feet were't happy right away after having tortured them with the original crappy liners, but once the swelling went down and my toes got back to normal, riding the UPZ in the Dalbello Liner is awesome.

With this boot/liner combination I feel like I have gained a lot of support and a firm comfortable fit, that allows more precise and nuanced control of the board than I ever had before. Its a night and day difference. I had a blast today laying down turns with these boots. Bummer is I popped out my shoulder and I'm probably out of the game for a week and a half, and I was hoping to get in a few days over the break. Maybe it will feel good faster than I expected and I'll be able to sneak in a few days.

So queequeg... which liner did not work out for you?

The FLOW liner has a tongue that is removeable and has a stiff plastic front. I received a different type of liner with my UPZ RSV-superlights a few years back. These liners are much thinner than the FLOWs and have a wrap cuff instead of a tongue. I just tried the FLOW liners. After 2 days I went back to the original wrap liners. They seem to work with the boot cuffs and my calves/shins much better.

Yeah, the flows do suck. About your shoulder... sorry to hear. Once it happens it can keep on popping out. I did a bunch of P.T. and eventually got my shoulder to behave. Before I did the P.T. I got good at popping my shoulder back into place all by myself. A skill I learned from a Clint Eastwood movie.

First day on mine yesterday. I was a little bit concerned because it was cold up on the hill (-20C) and I was really worried about cold toes in the non-thermo liner, but after a couple of runs they warmed up and stayed warm.

LOVE these boots. None of the slop and heel lift of the old Deeluxes, and a nice smooth flex even in the cold. After I spent the first couple of runs all at sixes and sevens getting the hang of them, especially the lack of flex in the top of the boot compared to my old ones, I'm digging that when I put power into the boots, it goes straight down to the board - scary!!:eek:

Ended the day after 2 hours with a great run on some steep stuff and a burning front leg, which I'm sure was just a hangover from doing funky stuff on the first few runs. Up next - off to ride powder for the weekend in BC - should be interesting.

Wow. first day out on my boots and they have revolutionized my riding. I am a born-again carver after taking several runs with these boots. I was carving at some crazy fast speeds on uneven surfaces, playing on terrain with a confidence I've never felt before, and hitting rollers and landing on edge after 5 foot drops. Can't keep the smile off my face tonight.

Nice Jim!

What boots were you in before - rsvs? Is that right? That's an older UPZ boot? How do you think the RC-10's compare to the new/current Deeluxe 700's?

Riding the Rossi WC 190? Thanks! mpp

• 2 months later...

**** Big post warning! ****

I bought a set of the RC-10s used (but with unused stock liner), got them shipped to my hotel during SES. Initially strapping into them in the hotel room revealed these things:

-Getting into them was a huge pain! If the liner's tongue slipped to the side you'd get the edge of the plastic shell bearing down on your foot with lots of pressure. I drew blood before I figured out to closely monitor tongue position.

-They were STIFF! The guy had the stiff grey tongues in them, too much for me. Swapping to the medium black tongues felt much better.

-The flow liner was pretty comfortable feeling with my heel positively locked down! I wore them a few hours to mold it to my heel shape, it was pretty rough and my heel area went to sleep from the pressure.

The first day on the hill was abysmal. Lots of pressure points, cold toes at something like 25F, numb heels, and it was like I forgot how to snowboard. Yikes! Luckily I brought my old boots with me so I swapped back after about an hour and dealt with some serious buyer's remorse all day long. I left the UPZs in the hotel for the rest of the trip. Don't try new boots in the middle of a long trip - DUH!

Once I got home I decided to try tossing an old pair of Intuition liners in them. They'd been molded 4 or 5 times already so I didn't have much to lose. They felt good and eliminated the chance of the shell touching your foot while getting in/out. I also adjusted the cuff cants and tweaked binding cants. Now I'm in love with them! They are definitely stiffer laterally than my old 2008 Deeluxe 700T with BTS with blue springs, and of similar stiffness front-to-back. It wasn't long before I was completely comfortable in them, they became invisible and I was back to riding. They also almost eliminated any heel lift, which I struggled with the entire time I had the Deeluxes.

The forward lean mechanism is cool; it acts much like Bomber's awesome BTS but has a little less travel. I don't believe I hit the end of this travel. If I did it wasn't noticeable. The big benefit is that it has a walk mode! That's SOOO nice compared to being locked into one position with BTS, especially if you like different lean angles between your boots. I hated standing with one ankle bent more than the other, forcing you to adopt weird positions to accommodate that.

As the day went on I found I kept blowing out of heelside carves pretty early in the turn. I couldn't figure out why; thinking I was doing something wrong. Late in the day, while sitting and waiting for a run to clear, I noticed that once I angled the board past about 80-85 degrees to the slope the cuff and/or buckles would hit the surface and lever the board out of the snow! Damn! Of course it only gets worse once you are cutting a trench in the snow. I had set the binding angles while looking at the heel cup - not the cuff! A rookie mistake that had me frustrated for a whole day...

My size 27 boots don't play that well with the step-in TD3 bindings either. The toe block had to be turned around to fit, meaning the hard stops were useless. Wow, was that ever annoying! If you bump the toe bail at all while stepping in it would fall down flat. I've asked Bomber about shorter toe bail options. The heel receiver had to be moved so far forward that it covers a plate mounting screw, meaning changing angles was a pain. This is in a 27 boot, I couldn't imagine what people with small feet would have to do to get a TD3 to fit. I'm debating making some replacement toe blocks with the hard stops on the other side.

A brief test with a Sidewinder binding had the heel block so far forward it blocked access to the rear-most center disk bolts - that's really lame. For the record: I think the forward heel position is a really stupid marketing ploy targeted towards people that don't tip their board past about 45 degrees. It doesn't make the boot any shorter at higher lean angles as the cuff and heel still hit before the heel lip does.

I can understand why the little hook portion of the ankle strap breaks on these boots; it's not bent at the same angle as the tongue it sits on. It's cantilevered out from the tongue surface like a little diving board with only the fastener touching. When you tighten the buckle it bends it down almost flat against the tongue. Every time you flex the boot it bends up and down a little. I may try bending it flush with the tongue to see if it ends up with a longer life.

The hard plastic toe pieces are stupid. The bolt heads protrude outside the plastic at certain angles to the floor, so the slippery plastic becomes even more slippery. Combine them with the relatively hard plastic of the BTS heels and you need to be pretty careful walking on hard surfaces - much like a ski boot. I'm hoping the toe portion of the touring sole adapters will fit in the TD2/3 bindings, they have what looks like a Vibram sole on them.

The buckles look a little nicer than the Deeluxe buckles but they don't line up properly. The buckle and hook parts are never quite in the same plane for any one buckle. There is flexibility in the connections to make up for that but it's weird to design that into a product. It's like the designers got 'close enough' and stopped work on the project. Everything works adequately but small changes would yeild a much more polished product.

Overall, I like these boots slightly better than the Deeluxe 700Ts. They fit my foot (narrow heel, medium to wide toes) amazingly well once I got a thermo liner in them but the hassles of fitting them into a standard binding like the TD3 negate some of that.

I think the forward heel position is a really stupid marketing ploy targeted towards people that don't tip their board past about 45 degrees. It doesn't make the boot any shorter at higher lean angles as the cuff and heel still hit before the heel lip does.

I completely agree with you here. I'm riding the UPZ RTRs with Fintecs. I also can't see a point to it and had a similar problem with the cuff hitting about where the walk mode lever was the first day I rode with these.

Additionally with the step-ins heel it actually makes it more difficult to walk around the lodge in the boot (less stable) due to the heel piece being placed so far forward. When my foot hits the ground the metal of the piece hits and wants to skid. Apparently this is UPZ's way of hinting that I should be spending more time on the slope and less in the lodge:)

I was getting pressure points from the tongues on the outside of my shins so I also ditched the flow liner and installed the deeluxe 141 liner. It made it pretty much effortless to get into the boot, though it softened the boot up so much that I installed the grey tongues to compensate (I'm 210 lbs). Currently I've got some issues with the extra volume of this liner putting pressure on a couple of places in my feet (boot fitting is helping). As an aside I've got screwed up completely flat feet so I've had a large portion of the lower portion of the boot blown out.

I like the responsiveness but am having some issues getting the boots to be comfortable for a complete day of riding. I'm looking for a softer boot for AM riding so I'm going to try a set of deeluxe 225s next year, if they fit my feet better, maybe I'll switch these to track 700Ts.

Dave

muahaha, welcome to hell!

for me, it's always a tossup between unscrewing/rescrewing 9 or all 11 screws per foot for any adjustment on my TD2s. i don't have to turn any bails around, but even if i did, they're spring-stopped anyway!

• 2 years later...

Hi folks !

Got a pair of uPZ RC 10 from dan jojö from Canada. Had no snow to rest them within two weeks. Tested after 2 month twice 300 m downhill. Had to quit. In instep area hurter unbearably .

Reason is : inner boot tongue has wider plastic than soft liner. On fastening buckles plastic edges pressed straight to skin.

Asked jöjö to advice. jöjö switched me to Wolf Gang from Austria. Sent that Åmädeus some fotos and offer for solution. that Mözärt proved to be impo..tent . he replayed " sorry, I can not help".

My advice : test uPZ piece of f..art within two weeks !

Never buy legends of leather, moulded, interchangeable, shortest, assimetrical soil pads .

Your foot feels no difference what colore of plastic it´s stuck in , unless U like blyя

Alex Baranov

There are quite a few people that had problems with stock liners in UPZ´s. I have UPZ RTR black and the stock liner, for me, was rubbish so I replaced them (liners) with Palau thermos. This combination has so far turned out to be a winner (for me). So if you´re not going to sell the boots try to get some fully moldable thermos.

Thank You !

I did replaced them with Dee Lux, Salomon, Burton soft boots liners, everything works. Guess, my broken soccer shields would do.

I´ve seen some other complaines in Forum about the problem.

If HYNDAI have problems with breaks, they call hundreds thousands of cars off, to repair.

Those composers are cheap.

Their piano has no frame ...