Note to New Members ×

Mont Tremblant Gathering

yyzcanuck

I'm just putting out a 'feeler' here...

There's a North American Cup PGS race in Mont Tremblant on Monday March 30th, 2009 (link). This will also be the Canadian National Championship race so plenty of top level riders to see.

I'm thinking this would be a good time to get together with a few riders from Ontario, Quebec, VT, NH, MA and heck, even ME and CT (if anyone from there can carve).

There are a number of smaller resorts along the highway corridor leading up to Mont Tremblant. Areas like Saint Sauveur, Gray Rocks, Morin Heights, Olympia, Mont Blanc are all possible stops for the Saturday & Sunday preceeding the race date.

I know there are quite a few alpine snowboarders in that area and there are two carve friendly dealers. One of those dealers would like to have a demo day to help promote the sport so perhaps we can coordinate something with them.

Any interest from the 'ridership'? What do we need to do in order to get 20-30 BomberOnline riders together for a French Canadian weekend of riding and race watching?

If you would click on the following link... it will take you to a sign-up form for an email list. We can keep you updated on how much interest there is and what's going to happen (if anything).

This is a POP UP type page so... you'll need to enable them on your browser. Fill in the information requested and... click on the dates that you think you'll attend. Also, it's a double opt-in procedure so you'll receive an email requesting that you confirm your email address.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm in for the meet for the weekend and I'll make sure I keep a sick day for the monday the 30th at tremblant... my T-66 pass is good for that day so I'll be there !

The best would be a sunday for the meet saturdays gets pretty crazy around here. Sunday morning are a little busy but starting noon people head back into town and it's easy to ride.

I'll make sure to pass along the information to the people I ride with at st-sauveur who doesn't come here.

I strongly suggest we do not meet at Mt. Tremblant - at least not for riding. As Ernie mentioned, it is way too crowded on weekends. A lot of familes, cougars, kids and gapers. Adding 20-30 carvers to the mix is a recipe for disaster.

Saveur, Avila, Mont Blanc, even Gray Rocks would be plenty enough vert for us. And we will have no trouble finding room around the bar. They might even be happy to have us there.

I'm thinking this would be a good time to get together with a few riders from Ontario, Quebec, VT, NH, MA and heck, even ME (if anyone there can carve).

Surprised you did not include CT., former home of the best women carvers on the planet.......

I smell a road trip, after all, we all know there is no good carving in Maine...

:)

post-520-141842262296_thumb.jpg

I strongly suggest we do not meet at Mt. Tremblant - at least not for riding.

No, No, No... I was thinking Saturday at one venue, Sunday at another venue then... Monday in Mont Tremblant to catch the Nor-Am National Race.

Once we get a feel for how many riders there'll be we can take the 'local' advice of guys like Ernie00 and the group of riders at Saint Sauveur to choose the venues for Sat/Sun. I really think Saint Sauveur should be a venue because of the number of alpine riders there.

No, No, No... I was thinking Saturday at one venue, Sunday at another venue then... Monday in Mont Tremblant to catch the LG World Cup Race.

Once we get a feel for how many riders there'll be we can take the 'local' advice of guys like Ernie00 and the group of riders at Saint Sauveur to choose the venues for Sat/Sun. I really think Saint Sauveur should be a venue because of the number of alpine riders there.

It's funny that you cleared this up right away, Dave. I would have thought that you would want to set up Tremblant as the 'decoy' mountain so there wouldn't be any other carvers messing with the fresh cord at the less crowded places. Either way, I'm likely good for this one too.

Yeah, I've heard that decoys work in some situations. Like if you put a 2nd dessert between your spouse and the dessert in front of you. Not in this situation.

While on the way to Tremblant, the other riders would certainly have to pass by the desired venue on their way to the decoy location. Sort of like putting the decoy dessert behind you on the chair.

Something like a Saturday at Mont Blanc and a Sunday at st-sauveur could be intresting. I'm sure we could work out a group deal depending on how many people show up. St-sauveur is a small 600 foot hill but by far they do the most grooming and best maintenance on their runs.

What's good for us is starting mid march people start to loose interest in skiing because of the nicer weather so it's generally less crowded.

As for lodging stayin on site in Tremblant is VERY expensive. You can check ebay I've done business with this guy before and it went very good. http://cgi.ebay.ca/1-Night-Le-Grand-Lodge-Hotel-Mont-Tremblant-Quebec-Ski_W0QQitemZ220297282977QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220297282977&_trkparms=72%3A792%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Or there are other options before tremblant 15 - 35 min drive. When it comes time if anyones needs help I will be more than happy to help.

Steph: it happens pretty often at st-sauveur that we are 5-6-7 carvers at any given point during a night.

Dave-

I believe the race in Tremblant is the North American Championship (NAC) . The WC is in Stoneham, north of Quebec City on February 22.

Le Relais, also north of Quebec City is hosting a NAC PGS and PSL on January 24 & 25.

Link to all North American FIS, NAC, and WC snowboard events. (Hope it works)

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/disciplines/snowboard/fiscalendar.html?place_search=&seasoncode_search=2009&sector_search=SB&date_search=&gender_search=&category_search=&codex_search=&nation_search=CAN%2CUSA&disciplinecode_search=&search=Search&limit=20&date_from=today

Its a little confusing though...if you go to the next page the same events and dates at Tremblant are listed as MAS with different codex numbers. (except HP) ...??Phil? MJB? LeBob? Tim? anyone?

All would be wonderful to watch. I am hoping to be at all three events.

The Stoneham venue is great...you can see the whole course top to bottom from the chalet and can easily walk to different viewing points along the race course.

Le Relais is even better as the course is easier to walk to and the parking lot is higher than the finish area and you can see over the knuckle right up to the start.

I don't know where the GS race will be at Tremblant...most likely the upper half...Taschereau or Kandahar. Both would be near impossible to access on foot. But hey, why not volunteer...lift ticket and lunch are generally provided for gate keepers and timers, or maybe just work the set up, slipping the course or teardown. You get access to the run plus the benefit of seeing North Americas best and the new young talent up close. It is always a struggle to gather enough volunteers for alpine snowboard events, but if it goes well we will have had a hand in promoting this great sport.

At Tremblant you can probably volunteer the day before or the day of the event, but for Stoneham contact http://www.gestev.com/ well ahead of time.

p.s- Skategoat, are you going to bring the kids so they can see where they want to be in a couple of years?

Or if MAS means Masters should we be training??

You're 100% right JDB.

Tremblant will be the finals of the NorAm PGS/PSL races, after Copper Mountain ( November ) Norquay ( in December ) Steamboat ( in January ) and Le Relais ( In January ).

Being the Finals of the NorAm, this is also the Canadian & American Championship, same races, they just post a separate ranking. For the Canadians racers, you have to be at that race if you want to be considered for the National team. So, it is also the best field of N-A racers who is present at the finals.

For World Cup races, Stoneham was selected for the 2013 Snowboard World Championship ( One week event every 2 years ). As they were selected for 2013, there will be an World Cup event every year ( 2009, 2010,2011,2012 ) at Stoneham as preparation for the World Championship.

Superbee

p.s- Skategoat, are you going to bring the kids so they can see where they want to be in a couple of years?

Or if MAS means Masters should we be training??

I think my daughter would love to come. My son, alas, has given up racing but he did get his Level 1 and will be teaching at Centennial Ski Hill (90 foot vertical) this season. We should see if we can get a group of Lowriders for the trip.

I may retire from the Masters circuit so that I can preserve my perfect record of last place in every race I've entered.