Note to New Members ×

Frank does it again....

Istvan

Correct. You can see the Zylon in the middle of the board... the board is painted with chrome painting except for the middle of the board to let the Zylon be visible.... :1luvu:

Specs:

Length 185 cm

Width 17.5 cm

Effective edge 167 cm

Zylon is scary stuff. When I worked for a rope company we made some rope out of Zylon for the America`s Cup sailing teams. A rope that size made of Dyneema or Kevlar broke at about 11T. The Zylon one went up to 23T before our testing machine imploded.

So Istvan, remember if you ever come off that bad boy - you will break long before it does...:)

It`s uber pretty though.

There's one part I don't understend about Frank's usage of Zylon... That fiber has the best properties in tension, not in compression, and it is light and UV sensitive. That would call for application in the layers BELOW the core, not above, never mind the top sheet. So we come back to the same old marketing trueth: when it's new, or fashionable, you have to put it where everyone can see it.

UV sensitive is right. In our tests, the stuff we left out in the sun lost 50% of its tensile strength in 2 days.

It's still beautiful though. In hanks like we used it, it was soft and silky and the most gorgeous colour.:1luvu:

But only girls would care about stuff like that.

There's one part I don't understend about Frank's usage of Zylon... That fiber has the best properties in tension, not in compression, and it is light and UV sensitive. That would call for application in the layers BELOW the core, not above, never mind the top sheet. So we come back to the same old marketing trueth: when it's new, or fashionable, you have to put it where everyone can see it.

In picture framing the acrylic glaze I use ( non rated for UV protection but it is framing grade ) filters out 90% of UVa and b that passes through the glazing. Not an engineer so don't know how they calcualate that, but it seems like the topsheet would have some filtering and some reflection to it, to cut down on light hitting the core.

And besides it shore is pretty.

Looks kinda cool, but it also looks like someone took a can of silver spray paint to your board. Not the prettiest Virus I've seen.

I think the best looking, in my own opinion, is the Virus with the large weave carbon fiber....

Can you show us a pic of the camber on the Berserker? I know a few people are curious about that.

Why do you have 2 Zylon gladiators?

I guess greater point should be that Zylon should wotk in tension to get the maximum of its physical properties. On top it works in compression and it's not designed for that...
I don't know the construction but... if the entire core is wrapped in a Zylon sock, then the Zylon on the bottom of the core would be in tension when the board is decambered. That would explain why the boards have so much pop.

Does anyone know the actual lay-up?

He is a very bad rider, that's why he needs two. Just as Ray he has even three Cyborgs now:lol:

Geez Hans, are you counting my boards? ;) :)

"Ride" on budy!

Cheers!

PS. Btw. the Zylon (Gladiator) board I got 4 years or so ago probably has more camber and torsional stiffness (if not the same) today then many others ever had :o

PS. Btw. the Zylon (Gladiator) board I got 4 years or so ago probably has more camber and torsional stiffness (if not the same) today then many others ever had :o

I'm not questioning, at all, the qulity or durability of Virus boards. Absolutelly love my Vampire.

I just want to understand why a material would be used in an application that seems wrong for it. As I said, it makes perfect sense to be in the bottom layers of a board.

Torsion box, yes, works great, but Zylon is not a material for that. You need a material that's good in compression, tension and torsion, like carbon or glass. Zylon works great in tension, and that's about it. Torsion (twisting) actually destroyes it.

So, I expect someones engeneering kind of input, to enlighten me.

Again, very concise question:

Why would Zylon work good in the top layer of a board?

_

To answer a couple of queries above:

- Why 2 Gladis? Simple. I had my first. I broke its tail, so I immediately bought a new one. Then I got the broken one prepared (only the last 5cm of the tail got damaged). I use it as a rock-board and sometimes I lend it to friends who want to try snowboarding. I foresee that next question's will be: Virus Zylon Gladi as a rock-board?? You give a Virus Zylon Gladi as a board to start with? Yes and yes.

- Why TD2 on one and F2 on the other? F2 is easier to set if I lend it to friends.

- Light and UV sensitivity of Zylon: Gimme a break, I am not a scientist, just a stupid banker... I have not perceivied any performance deterioration on my Zylon boards yet... and I have not heard anyone complaining about a Zylon board losing its flex and becoming boiled broccoli.... I guess Frank knows what he is doing...

- How does Zylon support your ride? Dunno. Try a Zylon stick and you'll understand. It is fast, agile, responsive but still feels soft like a Cadillac. Difficult to describe, just like the feel of Titanal. Although that is completely different, it is more about the vibration absorption and dampness. I always wondered combos like a Cyborg Titanal. I would tend to believe that dampness is more helpful in wider boards, and agility and pop feels better in narrower boards. I might be wrong, I think I'll have to try the Cyborg Titanal to really get a feeling. The combo of wide and stiff I already know I don't like that much (that is why I have 2 wide Virus boards....)

- Camber: I think camber is only part of the story. Anyway, pics attached.

- 'It looks like someone took a can of silver spray paint to your board' - Exactly this is what happened. And that someone was Frank from Virus. I just did not want to have another copper-like board. The poor quality pics I attached do not really show it, but there is a nice transition from chrome color to pure Zylon.

Cheers

post-2318-141842261556_thumb.jpg

post-2318-141842261559_thumb.jpg

I ride my Zylon Berserker for exactly one year by now. I don't know how it works, but it works. It is extremely stable and lively, provides an enourmus popp and can be ridden also on steep narrows. I don't know if it is due to the Zylon but the construction gives you an exact feedback of what you are doing on the board. Sometimes this can be painful.

To me it is the best alpine board, I have ever ridden.

Edith: Still has more than 5cm camber.

Geez Hans, are you counting my boards? ;) :)

"Ride" on budy!

Cheers!

Yes, I have just looked into your profile. I know you are very fond of the Cyborg...... Hope you enjoy the Cyborg Evo. Like to hear from how it compares to the Titanal one. I am in for an Evo UT but I am just hesitating.

Happy riding.

Cheers:lurk:

I'll weigh in on "Berserker vs. Cyborg."

My Berserker is titinal (185). My Cyborg is/was Zlyon (181 - from Ray actually).

My Berserker is my favorite board (which might say a lot, depending on what you think of my quiver - read profile). It has unbelievable edge hold and is super damp. But it is also super lively - you can rocket up and out of each turn if you want. I do, however, agree with the prior comment that you need to get up speed before it is super responsive. (I don't think that that is a downside; it is just something to get used to.) It's my desert island board - if I only had one board....

My Cyborg was great for the 4 hours it lasted. That's right - 4 hours at A-Basin and I buckled the nose at the pressure point of my front OS2. From what I learned those 4 hours, the Cyborg was amazingly fast edge-to-edge (for obvious reasons) and it was very grippy - fully laid out turns were par for the course. Loads of fun. Too bad I snapped it. (Note: prop's to Frank for standing behind his boards and hooking me up with the Berserker.)

I don't know Zylon well enough to have an opinion on it.