Note to New Members ×

Metrons

BlueB

Just got an unbelievable deal on mint Metron 10s! Sheesh, these things have only seen snow few times... A pair of 9s that I tried year ago, in a length too short for me, were just great. Couldn't find the terminal velocity of the bloody things, as long as I kept them turning. Carve monsters... They might inspire me to ski a bit more then last year (1 outing).

post-1678-141842260074_thumb.jpg

man, people are so love hate with that ski.

it does not seem to matter how good of a skier these people are either, one unreal skier will say they are a killer ski and another will hate them and the same goes for the terminal intermediates. Usually it does not work that way, then it's more like one group love them and the other feels like the ski cripples them.

my question is, what makes them so different from other skis?

I am definitely a beginner on skis, however the Metron B5 162's make me look like a cord shredding master. Deep knee to knee carves are so easy and a lot of the body positioning is similar to snowboard carving.

I'm useless any time its soft or I'm off piste on skis though. :freak3:

man, people are so love hate with that ski...

my question is, what makes them so different from other skis?

They are super heavy and super grippy, so they are not the best ski for swing/skid type of skiing. For carving, they are just great. Then, they have rebound and turn radius of slalom ski, while almost stabillity of a gs ski... Waist is almost wide enough to stop boot-out at EC.

My 1st choice was actually Elan Magfire 10, very similar but a bit lighter and skied in a bit longer length. Ah well, can't complain - my Metrons came in at least 100$ less then beat up rentals go on ebay...

brother boris are these things like my 4 year old dynastar omecarve 10's in 172 with a 13 meter sidecut, but the variable flex can give you 9 meters in push pull turns?

Note I tested John, our double, snowboard and ski full cert school director's 164s? first.

Got mine on pro form from him and then found two other ski instructors got them and almost immediately were selling them. One other ski instructor won a pair in raffle and she was selling them too.

Tried for three days to get Martha (the raffle winner, and level 3 cert since 1978) dialed in on them to no avail.

you either shorten your ski poles five inches and lay them over like a Donek carving board or give up. And if you do that............ Then the semi gated annual top to bottom extreme downhill race (steep 1200 + vertical on trail switches to follow the fastest line to the bottom.) at Ragged is an average of 89 to 94 mph plus in the top seed. you are always on edge and always ahead of the skiis. That was the actual range of speeds by six skiers on the omecarve 10's, and no I did not compete that day( had good tipping all day family private on carve boards). On the other hand a week later when ski director took us to the top and the six pack stalled we were late for line up. I followed John down the race run with out any gates or slow down chicanes, and pulled into the bottom 30 ft behind. Only 5 of the other 8 instructors we had at the summit made it down to line up that run. Johns time was the 94 mph average btw. So I do not know how fast we were going that day,late for lineup. My Protegee snowboard student now snowboard director Said John and I would have blown away the competition in the race.

I normally do not like to go fast .......just like to pull lots of G force.

Yes!!!!!?

GWS :eplus2:

Brother Chase,

Omecarves are great. I missed out a crazy deal on model 9, 2 years ago. They were selling under different obscure name: Artist DDD, which I didn't know at the time. By the time I figured out, they were gone...

Metrons are full 11mm wider then Omecarves, so they boot out less when you go extreme. They are a lot heavier and a bit stiffer. In length 164 they've got 12.5m SCR.

As for the poles, I don't even like using them any more, except for pow or bumps. They get in the way when I EC and are prohibited/counterproductive when teaching kids.

with Metrons if you want to carve. I was looking out for some Metron b5s (76 waist), but I want to try the Volkl Tigershark 12. The 79mm waist should help with boot out and in the shorter lengths, still have a fun radius.

Generally though, carving on skis is like endless heelside turns on an alpine board

Metron M9s

post-340-141842260077_thumb.jpg

When I was in Whistler last year, I demoed a pair of Fischer Progressor 9s. Having not owned skis in 10 years, I was floored by their grip and responsiveness. They are dual radius skis - 13 and 17 meter.

I ordered a pair. So now, I am outing myself - I own skis too. This season, I plan to board in the morning and ski in the afternoon.

http://www.ski-mag.com/en/ski/clanak.php?id=19482

I bought the Volkl Tightshark 12 switch at the end of the season - demoed it and the metrons - Volkl felt the same on snow but (It semed) much lighter.

Bob - if you're looking for those I can hook you up with the guy I got mine from - he made me a really good deal and it's possible he still has last year's stock (they changed the design this year to a 3-position switch)

Skategoat mentioned skiing and boarding the same day. When I have taken both the skis and board to the mountain on the same day with friends, we have always skied in the morning and boarded in the afternoon.

I have always found my back leg getting more tired when snowboarding, and trying to ski after was always a mess--just can't get my left (back) leg to keep up with the right!

So, skiing in the morning, getting both legs equally tired was more manageable for me.

Anyone else do the same thing?

Bob - if you're looking for those I can hook you up with the guy I got mine from - he made me a really good deal and it's possible he still has last year's stock (they changed the design this year to a 3-position switch)

I appreciate the offer, but my purchasing plans for this season are on hold. The construction industry in MN has totally collapsed and I've only worked five weeks this year. I don't mind (understatment) being off in the winter, but the rest of the year sucks.

So, skiing in the morning, getting both legs equally tired was more manageable for me.

Anyone else do the same thing?

I like to catch the best of the groom on the board and then switch when I get bored. I find skiing less tiring than boarding. I keep my ski boots in an insulated bag with one of those corn heat bags (wrapped in a towel) so the ski boots are easy to get on.

It certainly is interesting that people who did not have talk to you on the lift with a board on your foot will become much friendlier when they see a pair of skis.

BobD

I can't believe I'm saying this... but:eek:

man this is difficult....:freak3:

but I will be on skis this year:smashfreak

man, that was difficult to spit out.

My son is 4 and he'll be in lessons this year, so I'm looking into picking up a used setup. I am looking forward to trying some of those short 160cm skis.

Man my shortest board isn't even that short. :eek:

So I haven't been on skis in like a decade, how do you ski?:rolleyes:

Mrs. b0ardski's magfire 10s are really fun, but 170 is a little short for me.

I haven't bought new skis in 19 yrs. since I bought my first metal edge board, I think it's time.

First I need to spring for the Scarpa TX's,the one boot to rule them all BAWAAAWWWAAAWWWAAA:eplus2:

ps I'll never buy skis or boards again, that don't have enough tail for switch, including tele's:eek: since mastering fakie on snow board I feel the need to master switch on skis.

All I know is that I have as much fun carving on skis that I do on a snowboard. I usually carry both board and skis with me when I go to the mtn, hit the corduroy on the snowboard in the am, switch out to skis in the pm. I picked up a pair of Head XP80, 172 cm with a SCR of 13 meters, those skis flat out rail. Put a little weight into them and you can get em to turn quick.

I like to go skiing at night when you can turn up the mph a bit and not get yelled at by ski patrol. The patrol people are in the shacks keeping warm. I have carved some fast, smooth lines at Snow Summit during the night sessions.

On another note, Tex, you were going to take some pics of the Head boots you have for sale, I was interested in the wear on the bottom of the soles,

I too got on some skis last season. I had a blast on a pair of Elan SCX races and also some Atomic ladies Seventh Heaven's. I'll probably do a bit of two planking this season (kind of have to for the job). It's all fun. The new ski technologies make it so much easy, it's like skiing for dummies.